• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Computer Aquarium - Must See

Anyone ever tried to do something like this with ultrapure water?

Wouldn't it be very difficult to keep it pure? Why not spray on some sort of watertight coating after assembling your submerged components? Though I suppose that would probably just trap heat anyway. I wonder if it would be possible to coat an entire motherboard with all connections intact, while leaving the heatsinks uncoated to allow heat to transfer?
 
I was thinking that if you washed all of the components in pure water before installing them and you were able to completely seal the case then it would remain pretty pure. You could then pump the water from the top, through a cooling unit and then back in the bottom, all within a closed circuit. In theory it would be easier to keep cool then oil because of the better heat exchange rate.
 
Guys my cooling solution is ICE!!! Hehe, j/k. I'm more wondering if there would be some type of solution for the cooling. How effective would a pump and a finned copper coil (radiator be)? True, you could just go with a water cooled setup but I'm more speaking hypothetically. For all I know contact with Copper or even Aluminum might create a reaction (?).

For example: I understand that the liquid means that you have to have a transparent case to show it off, but maybe we could have a metal container (maybe aluminum) with one side clear? Similiar to a regular comp case with a window. This would be in addition to an (active) cooling solution. Just one idea and not a solution. I'm talking about a reduction in temps. What else? Lol, this is turning into something like "We need to find the cure!"


If you had to cool this comp to save your life what would you do? There must be a way. Not that I want a sub(merged) comp --->subcomp. just curious...
 
It's been done, by a real corporation -- and not just any. Crays are submerged in real dielectric solution and actively cooled. So... we already know how to do it, and do it right, but it's cost prohibitive. There are a lot better options out there than mineral oil... they just don't cost $10/gallon. ;)
 
Make frozen Oil Ice cubes and dump em in there. :D. That will cool down the tempatures *sarcasm*
 
Back
Top