complicated question, looking for easy answer...

bellevegasj

Limp Gawd
I'm going to be purchasing a new vid card shorty.... can anyone suggest a good 6800 card... a 128 meg and a 256 meg. Is there a big diff between them? Is the diff in price worth getting the 256?

The rest of my system: 2700 AMD, Abit NF7 mb, 1 gig ram (PC2700 I think)...

I'll possibly be getting another gig of ram, not sure yet.

Would it even be worth getting the 256 meg card with this PC setup or would I be wasting money?

I'm trying to run Doom3 but it plays like crap currently with my 5500 256 meg card.

Are there any good 6800 comparisons around?

Please help!

My feeling on the 6800 series is to get the GT, which is a 256meg card with all 16 pipes enabled.

The vanilla 6800 only has 12 pipes enabled and uses DDR1 memory.

It probably won't choke your system either way, but if you can afford the extra hundred or so bucks, go with the GT. I'd recommend BFG, because of their warranty.

You didn't say anything about your bus speed, so that would be the first thing to tweak, get some faster 3200 memory, and at least the 6800. I have that setup with a 2800 @ 2.3+ and doing a little OC on the card, 385/8xx I got 51,658 on Aquamark. FarCry plays smooth on very high settings 1024x768 with stock clocks. I have the Evga 6800, it was the only brand around here for the instant gratification thing!

Bus speed is 333mhz currently. To increase that, I would have to buy a new CPU/Mb, I think. I really don't want to buy a new cpu/mb right now because I'll be getting a new monitor shortly.

Thx for the info guys.

With your current setup the plain 6800 would be fine...if you plan on an overall upgrade soon I would get the GT.

Back