Complex OS Situation

LJ57

2[H]4U
The dilemna : I am dual-booting Win98 (C:/) and WinXP Home(D:/). I only use XP(It's an upgrade) but because I have to keep 98 on C:. I lost my Win98 disk in a move so I keep it there so I can install a new copy on D: as opposed to upgrading 98 to XP on the C: drive. I would like to lose 98 altogether and just have XP on the C: drive. Could I somehow image XP with Norton Ghost or similar app and then format C: and use the image CD to put it on? I'm just wondering if I might run into any boot problems doing this.

Sorry for this overly complicated jumbe of words but I didn't know how else to explain the situation. Thanks.

Yeh, I dont think you can do that...

if your XP is on D and its an upgrade version...you wont be able to load the image of it onto C and then boot into it....the OS would think its on D and actually its on C.

Youll need a 98 CD to do a new install of the XP onto C.

you can pop the XP CD in, then boot off of it, then it will ask to give it the 98 CD to verify the upgrade, then it will let you wipe out the C and D drives and reinstall onto one big C drive, freshly installed.

if you cant find your 98 CD..let me know, I might be able to send you one..$$$ shipping cost..

Back