Completely bored with gaming, I have stopped.

The point of this thread is that the OP is not alone and that others are also feeing this fatigue and/or frustration with the lack of variety and slow down in PC gaming.

Maybe some of your are satisfied with your occassional AA FPS title, a ton of console ports, a bunch of 3rd person games, Starcraft2 with bastardnet2.0, and the rare decent racing game but some of us are not, are bored with current trends and offereings and wish the variety of the old 1995-2005 days were still here.

I agree, as big of a fan as I am of Blizzard, BNET 2.0 blows so much chunks. There really aren't that much variety lately, back in the 90's there were quite a bit of unique titles that came out.

I NEVER get tired of PC gaming. Sure there are down times...But come on, too many amazing and in depth titles hit the PC to make it boring.

Like WabeWalker said...there are some damn amazing titles released this year, with more must have games in the next few months alone!

Personally LOVE gaming.

Name the ones you are referring to. I hardly ever find games that interest me anymore.

Why do threads like this always flourish?

I must be mistaken. I thought that this was a PC gaming forum? One would've thought that the people hanging out here are PC gamers who actually enjoy playing PC games?

Clearly there's something wrong with me.

I actually love computer gaming, when what I should know by now is that nobody loves to hate his own hobby more than a PC gamer.

How can you be surprised that there are people out there with tastes different than your own that are disatisfied and frustrated by the lack of interesting games to engage and keep their attention?

This is like a sports team that isn't doing very well. It's fans are still loyal, but they are grumbling about the players and coach and management. It's human nature. This exists with every hobby that there is.

I'm glad that you are upbeat and positive about PC gaming. Many of us are not because we are perhaps more selective or discriminating in our tastes about what PC gaming is/was and want more variety than FPS's without FOV options, a bazillion bad console ports, games designed to be played with gamepads instead of keyboards and mice, and little to look forward to.

I spent a lot of money on a 5870 and eyefinity and then I realized that there were no games I could really enjoy with it. There are the few odd racing titles, a few FPS's that I had already played through and wasn't really interested in playing again, and some multiplayer games that quickly bored me (BC2). We want great games and great variety that can justify our purchases of expensive hardware.

Look at how this year began, with Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2, and Assassin's Creed 2. In previous years, I would've killed for any one of these games, but we got all three within the space of just one month....

And? I own ~400+ games (300+ alone on Steam), and two of those aren't really on my radar, as I haven't even bothered with the first one yet.

But Bioshock2 I never, ever plan to buy. If devs don't want to support widescreen H+ out of the box upon release, then they'll have to wait 'til at minimum 'til it's $5 during some Steam sale or the like. Both B1 & B2 were V- out of the box, when both were promised to be H+ out of the box. Since they somehow screwed this up twice, while I already own B1, the lack of proper H+ out of the box killed my interest in it, and although I planned on grabbing it upon release, it waited... and waited... and was eventually bought for $5 on Steam only due to the fact I was buying any and every game that was affordable anyway... Game came out almost three years ago now, and I still haven't even bothered to install it...

(I've had a WS monitor for over four years now... It's no longer an elitist market at all, if it even ever was anyway... It needs proper H+ support out of the box, as V- on eyefinity would just be ridiculous...)

Far Cry 2 was the worst piece of shit ever.

Kind of amazing how polarizing FC2 is. My sentiments are the exact opposite. It's only flaw (and a rather ridiculous one, I add...) is that the baddies can honestly re-spawn within seconds... I've re-played this game from start to finish more than any other game, exception being TDU (certain TDU has the record), and probably Doom 1/2 or Quake 1/2 (which don't count as when they were out they were almost the only games available... You were either playing them, or not playing games at all...)

I'm pretty much in the same boat man.
I'm gonna try Mortal Online (I was a big Ultime Online player back in the day).

Theme park MMOs are pure shit man - the only type of MMOs worth playing are sandboxes

Name the ones you are referring to. I hardly ever find games that interest me anymore.

Titles I am looking forward to:

Starcraft 2 (and "expansion" later this year)
Mass Effect: Overlord
Black Prophecy (Looks interesting)
Civ V
Prey 2
Tomb Raid (forget title, but they changed the perspective, looked fun)
Medal of Honor
Lost Planet 2
Deus X
Cataclysm
COD: Black Ops
Fear 3
FFIV (GOD I hope this comes out this year!)

Oh! and the Star Wars MMO coming out!!

Just a few off the top of my head. Only thing I really don't care for are driving and flight sims.

If I look at my buds playing Xbox 360, and their library of games...yep it looks as if there aren't many games coming out for PC. But then I take a closer gander at those same titles, and realize that most aren't anything I would play regardless, I love my PC more. I LOVE FPS's, RTS's, RPG's and Strategy games. The PC does pretty much all those genres much better. Hell WH 40K and the COH titles alone I can play forever!

PC games for LIFE!

Civ V
Prey 2
Medal of Honor
COD: Black Ops
Fear 3

Wasn't even aware there was a Prey 2 coming out... Same with FEAR 3...

MoH sounds interesting, but I've never even ever bothered to play the five that come in the 10th annv package that I bought...

COD: own all but MW2... Finally have played about half of COD1 (yes, 1) a few weeks ago... Not bad, but the entire time I kept saying to myself "Am I playing COD1, or RTCW again?" It was that familiar to me... Probably why I haven't been in a hurry to finish it...

Civ V: I finally installed and tried some of 4 recently. I watched the tutorial for 15 minutes, and got a bit lost. Is there a lot to divulge, or is it just too complicated for me? It seemed a lot of information to get straight in one session of the tutorial...? Build something, in four turns becomes something else, another six turns it becomes something else, and 'til that all has happened, your city is vulnerable to attack if you don't keep your army there, blah blah blah... Looked interesting, but it looked much more complicated than I was expecting...

Not a game you can start anew with zero knowledge of the game and be an expert at within minutes? I certainly felt lost as to where to even start...

Civ V: I finally installed and tried some of 4 recently. I watched the tutorial for 15 minutes, and got a bit lost. Is there a lot to divulge, or is it just too complicated for me? It seemed a lot of information to get straight in one session of the tutorial...? Build something, in four turns becomes something else, another six turns it becomes something else, and 'til that all has happened, your city is vulnerable to attack if you don't keep your army there, blah blah blah... Looked interesting, but it looked much more complicated than I was expecting...

I started Civ 1 before I could read (in fact, I learned to read via Civ), you can get started easy enough.

Yes, your city is vulnerable to attack, but generally if you're scouting around and stuff , you'll see anything coming. I'm hardly a pro but PM me if you want some tips

That said, there is a lot of depth to the game, and there are mods that greatly improved the game and add even more depth. Its one of my most played games (after Civ 1, Darklands, MOO1 and Civ2) (MMOs exlcuded... :/)

Personally I dont do MMO games and I havent played a PC game since Mass Effect 2, and even then, that was less then a week. I tried Just Cause 2 for a weekend and forgot about it.
NHL10 on my PS3 is the only game that keeps me going over the past year, and recently Red Dead.

I'm with the OP with not being into current PC gaming. Their is light at the end of the tunnel though, and that light is...... DIABLO 3

currently being entertained by lord of the rings online. I was whoring bad company 2 for ages, but I needed a break from it, will pick it back up in a week or so I think,

I am playing Gothic 3, fully patched to 1.73 unnoficial...and I like it, alot. I just finished Dawn of War 2 and Chaos Rising, also very fun.

Can't wait for -

Gothic 4
Deus Ex
Diablo 3
HL3
Fallout: New Vegas
Crysis 2 (whatever, punks!)
Portal 2
Dungeon Siege 3
Thief 4

And a bunch of stuff I don't have the short term memory to list

I was a competition gamer, and I got burned out on the shit. Played the CoD series exclusively. Too bad they fucked up the series after CoD4. Looking forward to CoD7, and the new MoH. Hopefully these new games will get me back in the mood after a 3 year absence.

My Wofe and I just had our 2nd baby in March, but my first baby was born 2yrs ago, and she did not stop my PC gaming too much, and this past Winter I was heavily back into WoW again for a good 4 - 5 months straight, playing every single night. I actually stopped playing games a few weeks before my son was born, so it was not the new baby that stopped me. I was already bored with gaming before he came out.
So now it has been almost 2 months with zero gaming, and I honestly don't miss it, because it feels like most games are the same old thing, with just a little nicer graphics. Nothing seems to be out to blow mysocks off, and say holy sh!t I have seen this before.

Maybe when your kids get old enough to play games with you, it will rekindle your interest.

If you want, check out this site; it highlights of ton of games of 2010 and 2011, many of which look really refreshing.

The point of this thread is that the OP is not alone and that others are also feeing this fatigue and/or frustration with the lack of variety and slow down in PC gaming.

Maybe some of your are satisfied with your occassional AA FPS title, a ton of console ports, a bunch of 3rd person games, Starcraft2 with bastardnet2.0, and the rare decent racing game but some of us are not, are bored with current trends and offereings and wish the variety of the old 1995-2005 days were still here.

You can't put all the blame on the PC Developer Scene, all those old games you talk about being great are still there.

PC gaming suffers from the exact same "attention" span most console gamers suffer from.

That is , always wanting the new games.

if you look back, PCs have a huge library of games. I've stopped waiting for the next game and instead am going and finding the games i enjoy out of this backstock library. Currently i'm playing through Fable the lost chapters and Dragon Age Origins.

Next on the list is Starlancer, after that I plan on a replay of Tie Fighter and then a play through of Jade Empire. And that is just hte beginning (I have at least 8 more games before 2008 that I am wanting to play)

2 years ago i rediscovered Falcon 4.0, at the time it came out i didn't have the patience to learn it but What a gem that game is and its over 10 years old.

once i started looking for the games i wanted to play, i suddenly found i had more Great games to play that i didn't have time to wait for the new games to come out and i stopped "waiting" and started "playing".

The only 2 games i am excited about coming out is Arma2's Expansion and DCS A10 Warthog.

In response to the OP, it is all about moderation - in all things (i'm pretty sure that is a splash screen for WoW).. If you over-burn your gaming you will ofcourse not find it enjoyable anymore, MMO's i've found do this more than other games, just because of the sheer amount of time you get for a small amount of reward (especially at the elite levels). My suggestion would be to take a break and then return to some classic single player games that you haven't played yet. Enjoy the stories.. also find some games in a genre you haven't played a lot in, like adventure games etc..

Peak experiences seem to come along much less frequently than before. We were getting our kicks from Wolfenstein, then Doom, Command and Conquer, Duke Nukem, Diablo, etc. There was often less than a year's wait between ground-breaking hits that set the bar so much higher.

It's not like that anymore. Once in a few years, something like Modern Warfare or Mass Effect 2 comes along and nudges the bar a little.

Back