Completely bored with gaming, I have stopped.

I first became hooked on Doom II in middle school. I didn't play much until Quake came out, then I messed with the single player a bit. Later on I found out about Team Fortress, so I went and got QuakeWorld with TF all setup, and I was hooked on that for a few years during high school. When Unreal Tournament came out I played a little, and didn't really game again until Need For Speed Underground caught my eye. I played racers for a couple of years, then when TF2 came out I tried it, played it until COD4 came out, and never really played anything else since. COD4 still has my attention, I want to buy MW2 but haven't been excited enough, maybe I'll wait for the next COD or get BC2 (need a hardware upgrade though, the 8800 barely does it).

I have stopped playing everything except Sim City 4 and Civilization 4. The rest of it is just too damn simple.

I have stopped playing everything except boardgames. The rest is just too damned D.

..see what I did there? it's like a magic eye but instead of eye its a word...letter.

Personally I think you should focus on your child's education, nothing is more important really.

Start with the classics. Wolf3d and Doom will teach the foundational skills, then you can move on chronologically through the Quakes, touch on Unreal and UT series, etc.

Of course you don't want to just focus on FPS games, so you need to have enrichment classes on roleplaying and simulations. Civ and the Total War series can teach them world history while they conquer the barbarians. Starcraft will prepare them for the future.

Its all about the children.

Personally I think you should focus on your child's education, nothing is more important really.

Start with the classics. Wolf3d and Doom will teach the foundational skills, then you can move on chronologically through the Quakes, touch on Unreal and UT series, etc.

Of course you don't want to just focus on FPS games, so you need to have enrichment classes on roleplaying and simulations. Civ and the Total War series can teach them world history while they conquer the barbarians. Starcraft will prepare them for the future.

Its all about the children.

+10000 :D Epic post!!

You should probably just give up on gaming for a while and do stuff with your kids so they don't grow up to be retards with no morals that don't know anything except what the minimum wage making girl at daycare teaches them. As they get older you can get into gaming with them and probably have a lot of fun, and it won't seem boring or give you a guilty conscience. And as a bonus, they'll have fond memories of the time you spent with them when they grow up and you'll always have something in common with them.

Well my other fav style of gaming is CoOp shooters set in a single player game. Like Quake 2 and Half Life 1. Just so sad game developers don't make those for the PC anymore.

Every gamer I know would love that genre to make a big come back.

Like that newer Action RPG Torchlight. Wicked cool game but with no CoOp multiplayer I lost interest in it right away. That would have been a killer million title seller if it had 2 to 3 player CoOp.

Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Last edited:
For me the entertainment comes in playing with a good group of people... Having a good group in teamspeak or in game with alltalk on adds another dimension to the fun. left 4 dead 2 on a modded server with alltalk on is a blast... "help i've got a smoker on me!" "wait you're not on my team! LIAR!"

Try finding a community to get hooked into, if you haven't. It adds a whole 'nother dimension to gaming.

For me the entertainment comes in playing with a good group of people... Having a good group in teamspeak or in game with alltalk on adds another dimension to the fun. left 4 dead 2 on a modded server with alltalk on is a blast... "help i've got a smoker on me!" "wait you're not on my team! LIAR!"

Try finding a community to get hooked into, if you haven't. It adds a whole 'nother dimension to gaming.

I do with my two older Brothers. We love to CoOp game with each other. They both play a ton of L4D, I was just not a big fan of the game. We played a lot of WoW together over the years, but they both left already for good awhile back.

We were huge into Never Winter Nights 1 together, that was a blast back in the day. And Diablo 2 before that had us all playing together until 3am on weekends :)

Really wish Torchlight was CoOp, too bad.

In all honesty, you need a console to provide new gaming experiences and genres you probably never opened yourself too. I was an avid pc gamer even longer than you, and I got a console to compliment my PC a few years ago. Best thing I could have ever done. Now when I feel like gaming I have a plethra of options, genres and places around the house to game. Do I want to sit alone in my room and game? On the couch loungin? Mouse and kb? Controller? Wheel setup for racers? etc..?

I never had that kind of variety when all I did was game on my pc. You'll also find that as many developers are aligned themselves more with consoles over PCs, that you'll find some extremely polished software available, and you can find games used for consoles (cheap) something you cannot do on the PC.

Just my 2 cents, shake up your gaming habbits. For 20 years you've constrained yourself to 1 platform and for what really? Branch out, become a more diversified gamer and give yourself more variety in your options. I mean it, you sound like me before I got a console.

edit. Does your wife game? If not, getting off the computer and onto another device (console) will open up a whole new experience for you both. Gaming is all about having fun, and not about letting pride get the best of us and excluding other platforms because its habitual or because we 'think' its bad. Gaming is about booting up a game and it putting a smile on your face, whether that be on a pc, a console or on an iphone .. it should never matter. Here you are today, making a thread about how gaming has become stale...

Time to think outside the box.

Like that newer Action RPG Torchlight.
I can't help with the topic because I'm not an fps player but I thought some might get a chuckle from knowing I read that as "Action RPG Twilight". Gah teenage romance advertising.

just do something else for a while, you'll find a game sooner or later that draws you back in

gaming is a hobby you don't really give up for good

i don't play games anywhere near as much as I used to, I have found that I watch TV and movies more than I do gaming

Trust me, a break is all you need for a while.

True. I don't watch a lot of TV, but I find myself surfing the forums and looking up stuff on the internet when I could be playing games. I still get excited about games, but seemingly not as much as when I was a kid (perhaps that's because so many games have been disappointing or I simply have other priorities). I've had Batman: AA and NFS: Shift since Christmas, and haven't played more than the demo of either title. I did spend this weekend playing RF: Guerrilla to test out my new 5870, and that was cool. The destruction made me giddy which tells me I haven't lost my interest in games. I do get excited about new games (Metro 2033 being one) but Day 1 purchases are pretty much over for me. I tend to wait for reviews/feedback, price drops, etc. unless it's just a simply must-have game and I know I'll have several days following the release date to play it (rare these days).

All in all it's probably a healthier balance. I still love games and owning the technology required to play them, but sometimes you do need a break in order to avoid getting burned out.

Just find a game or 2 and stick to them. That's all I do. Sold all of my 360 games, and Currently I only play Bad company 2 and the Starcraft 2 Beta and it's great. I finally got around to giving GTA4 another shot, so I'll slowly play through that.

I find when I have a bunch of games I never know which to play and eventually lose interest. Stick to one or 2(different genres preferably).

TBH I can only think of a few games I'll be buying for sure in the next few years. Starcraft 2, Diablo 3 Battlefield 3. I'm on the fence with Crysis 2.

Here's some advice: Stop playing MMO's. They're all the same. Play a game that is different. If you keep playing the same game over and over you'll never have fun.

Go back and play some old school games like Mario, Sonic, etc. Get away from the grindan gaems and have some fun.

Or, live your life. Go outside, ride a bike, start a garden, shit. If games aren't making you happy then find something that will make you happy.

I have been PC Gaming since classic games like "Eye of the Beholder" in 1990, 20yrs ago. And I have been building my own computers since the mid 90's.

But this Spring I just hit a wall, and can not play anything right now, just bored to tears with gaming, just have zero passion for playing anything the last few months. Anyone else ever get this feeling ?

The few games to really hold my interest the last few years, have been WoW, the BattleField series, Half Life, and Team Fortress 2. Back in the day StarCraft1 was a huge game for me. Those few games really kept me glued to my PC on weekly basis, if not a daily basis at times like with WoW. Oh yeah and Quake2 CTF multiplayer was a giant for me and my Brothers.

My Wofe and I just had our 2nd baby in March, but my first baby was born 2yrs ago, and she did not stop my PC gaming too much, and this past Winter I was heavily back into WoW again for a good 4 - 5 months straight, playing every single night. I actually stopped playing games a few weeks before my son was born, so it was not the new baby that stopped me. I was already bored with gaming before he came out.

With WoW I just got so sick and fucking tired of running the same random dungeons over and over a hundred times each, just could not keep forcing myself to keep hacking and slashing the same old instances again and again. I really blame it on WoW. It started to feel like a job or chore, to gear up beyond the 245 gear, to get full Frost gear was a major time commitment, and I was going for it, but then I just hit this wall, I just could not keep playing anymore, been there done that feeling times a thousand. I felt sleep walking my way through the dungeons, and couldn't give two shits about collecting and more emblems, etc...quit cold turkey.

So I tried some shooter games again, but that felt so boring and gave me no excitement either anymore.

So now it has been almost 2 months with zero gaming, and I honestly don't miss it, because it feels like most games are the same old thing, with just a little nicer graphics. Nothing seems to be out to blow mysocks off, and say holy sh!t I have seen this before.

Maybe the new StarWars MMO by BioWare will get me back, or Star Craft 2 ?

I know this is a PC Gaming thread, but might I suggest trying some console games? I'm a PC gamer too and there are just a bunch of great console games out right now... especially on PS3. I can't stop playing Little Big Planet.. with over 2 million user generated levels it never gets old and with the Playstation Move coming out it should expand the experience even more. There's too many games I could suggest but maybe it's something you should look into. PS3 is diffidently the way to go right now as far as console gaming goes.

Started HL2 again last night. Not as fun as I remember it... back to CS:Source boredom on a crappy computer.

For me it comes down to story and gameplay. I liked playing bg I and II, system shock, civ4, the fallouts not because they had wizz bang 3d graphics but because they had engaging gameplay mechanics backed up by a good story and modability. It is hard to say that with most games these days.

Dragon age give me a break, I have to earn extra AI slots and pay for addons built into the release candidate... no thanks. MMO's are not games btw. They are social experiences with level treadmills tacked on: A game has an end goal you can reach, MMO's do not.

I bought my new Core i7 in March of last year, after having run a 5 year old system into the ground. Since then, these are the titles I've bought, the majority of which I've gotten about a quarter of the way through. But you don't have to finish a game to enjoy it - sometimes just toying with a new game for a while can be a blast.

I'd have to say that PC gaming is more alive now than it's ever been. In the 1990's we never saw such a bounty of titles. It's ridiculous how many great titles I've installed in the past 12 months.

Stories From Liberty City
Bad Company 2
Just Cause 2
Dragon Age Awakening
Wings of Prey
Stalker Call Of Pripyat
Virtua Tennis 2009
Dawn Of Discovery Venice
Civ 5
Fallout 3 Broken Steel
Cod mw 2
Napoleon Total War
Assassin's Creed 2
Bioshock 2
Mass Effect 2
Dirt 2
Divinity 2
Left 4 Dead 2
King Arthur
Shift
Borderlands
Resident Evil 5
Torchlight
Operation Flashpoint 2
PES 2010
Dragon Age
Fifa 10
Majesty 2
Risen
Batman Arkham
Call Of Jaurez BIB
Dead Space
Spore galactic adventures
Quantum Of Solace
Chronicles of Riddick
Prince Of Persia
Mirror's Edge
Battlestations Pacific
Empire Total War
The Sims 3
Fuel
Fallout 3
Call Of Duty World At War
Grand Theft Auto 4
Far Cry 2
Stalker Clear Sky
Stalker
FEAR 2
Ghostbusters
Drakensang
Assassin's Creed
Crysis pack
VEGAS 2
Mass Effect
Hell's Highway
The Witcher
NBA 2k9
PES 09
FIFA 09
COD 4
Bioshock
Hellgate London
World In Conlict
Spore
Storm Of Zehir
ARMA 2

I can't suggest anything because you actually played that much WoW. As a gamer you're dead to me. sorry :(

.................kidding...mostly..

Agreed. Just bought Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West, while a bit buggy, it's fun!

Appreciate the change in scenery (haven't played Call of Juarez) and actually next Resident Evil should implement a blob aiming system when you're moving around. Problem solved!

I hardly play at all. maybe a 1-2 hours every other day. I might get in a 3-4 hour session once a week but I havnt for a few weeks.

only game Im playing right now is bad company. Although I am looking forward to L4D2 DLC

I've been having so much fun playing League of Legends. Try it out, it's amazing and free. I was skeptical of playing a free game (figured it'd blow ass), but I'm enjoying it more than most $50 purchases I have done in the past couple years.

I am also at the point of hardly playing games these days. I'll play a couple hours of Halo 3 here and there or do a couple of daily quests in WoW but thats about it currently. I'm hoping SC2 and FF14 fix that for me, lol.

Don't base PC gaming on WOW... WOW was one of the worst experiences of my life. I'm very glad I quit.

That's good for you but like he said he did like it... and as he said it was one of his preferred games on and off.

I'm with the op... I don't know if I'm just getting old or what but games just don't do much for me at all. Lost interest in Dragons Age, lost interest in Mass Effect 2, lost interest after thirty minutes of Bioshock 2, wasted $50 on Settlers 7 which seems aimed at 10 year olds, have zero interest in Battlefield Bad Company (consolizing the Battlefield series). The same with my 360... everything I try I end up bored with (last Mass Effect 2 and Assassins Creed 2). The only thing I might enjoy one or two days a week is a few games of Team Fortress or a rare Supcom skirmish. Guess it's been a long decline since Modern Warfare... although World at War held me for a while, but after it's just been uninteresting to me.

I felt I was completely tired of gaming until recently when I had a few gems come my way. Ive been gaming my entire life but things seemed to have become stagnant - the only games I felt compelled to play was the Half Life series.

But recently I started playing Dragon Age as well as Settlers 7 and was really enjoying both (to the guy who said Settlers 7 is aimed at 7 year olds, are you saying that because of the cartoony visuals? Because if you had actually 'played' the game you certaintly would not be) - really high quality in their respective genres. And then I started playing Borderlands - and put both on pause.

Borderlands is 'brilliant'. So accessible, fun and you can play as much as you want, single or co-op and have a blast. So many gaming hours too.. have a go, esp since you love shooters! Its brought me back to gaming and after ebing so tired for so long, it really says something.

I'll second Borderlands and Torchlight. Both are basically SP grinds with very simple action, no real plot to speak of--and both very charismatic in their own way.

Play the girl in Borderlands; her laugh is worth the price of admission.

Thank god for Steam's mad Christmas deals and also getting a Kindle--blasting through a book every two days for a couple of months is an excellent way to clear out your mind.

only game keeping me going is heroes of newerth casual game fun. no need to move your eyes rapidly like in a shooting game.

UN Squadron's music was great. But better than Secret of Mana's soundtrack? Hmm...I don't know about that.

I bought my new Core i7 in March of last year, after having run a 5 year old system into the ground. Since then, these are the titles I've bought, the majority of which I've gotten about a quarter of the way through. But you don't have to finish a game to enjoy it - sometimes just toying with a new game for a while can be a blast.

I'd have to say that PC gaming is more alive now than it's ever been. In the 1990's we never saw such a bounty of titles. It's ridiculous how many great titles I've installed in the past 12 months.

Stories From Liberty City
Bad Company 2
Just Cause 2
Dragon Age Awakening
Wings of Prey
Stalker Call Of Pripyat
Virtua Tennis 2009
Dawn Of Discovery Venice
Civ 5
Fallout 3 Broken Steel
Cod mw 2
Napoleon Total War
Assassin's Creed 2
Bioshock 2
Mass Effect 2
Dirt 2
Divinity 2
Left 4 Dead 2
King Arthur
Shift
Borderlands
Resident Evil 5
Torchlight
Operation Flashpoint 2
PES 2010
Dragon Age
Fifa 10
Majesty 2
Risen
Batman Arkham
Call Of Jaurez BIB
Dead Space
Spore galactic adventures
Quantum Of Solace
Chronicles of Riddick
Prince Of Persia
Mirror's Edge
Battlestations Pacific
Empire Total War
The Sims 3
Fuel
Fallout 3
Call Of Duty World At War
Grand Theft Auto 4
Far Cry 2
Stalker Clear Sky
Stalker
FEAR 2
Ghostbusters
Drakensang
Assassin's Creed
Crysis pack
VEGAS 2
Mass Effect
Hell's Highway
The Witcher
NBA 2k9
PES 09
FIFA 09
COD 4
Bioshock
Hellgate London
World In Conlict
Spore
Storm Of Zehir
ARMA 2
pics or gtfo.

My 2 cents. Wow killed pc gaming. I dont know what it was that people got hooked like meth.. but to them everything seems Boring.. Its like you could have your Meth (wow) or go do something lesser like party sober. Your burned out on WOW but nothing looks the same anymore. Its like you go to play another game but it just doesnt compare to your WOW. The gaming industry has plateaued it seems.. I mean you came from a era where every few months something bigger and better came out.. I felt the same,.. but been addicting to Heros of Newerth now... And men of war was a nice change if you got friends to play it with.
Anyways yeah I suggest take a break find another hobby come back and you appreciate the smaller things.. unless you start back on that path of becoming a WOW junky...
For real no offensive but I really dont even talk to people that play wow..
Its like meth for real.. they allways talk about it, and cant see past it when it comes to games.

I have over 300 games in my Steam acct...

When Steam's new UI was forced on me today, I noticed it had a "last played" tab...

Last game I played was Portal, which oddly enough I got hooked on, and would replay that game over and over...

Well, I hadn't played it, let alone anything else, in over four weeks...

It felt like it had been a few days, but not a whole month...

And to think with this week's Steam deals, I just grabbed yet another overflowing handful of games for no reason...

I had the same as the OP happen, one baby and a toddler, plus school and full time work - really stopped playing games for quite a while...except for some Gears of War on the Xbox at nighttime with my XBL buddies. I was in a LOTR:BFME clan for a while, but first baby shook me of that habit.

Now that my kids are older and sleep at night 90% reliably, I am playing some PC games again. Then again it's new oldschool (Dragon Age). Before I was playing Dragon Age I was playing Baldur's Gate II again (since I never did finish it) and some other old PC games. Also some Team Fortress 2 with some work folks who run their own server got me playing a little of that.

To everyone attributing WoW to a narcotic -- you have other far more serious problems at play than you probably realize.

I got back into WoW after a good break (stopped a month after AQ hit and came back a month before patch 3.2 hit) and played it quite a bit just to race to level 80. Once I hit 80, I played enough to get my Shaman geared up and start raiding. Now I play about 10 to 12 hours a week. Sometimes less, depending on how quickly my guild clears current raid content.

That is less time than many people give over to other hobbies, like reading, building model planes, drawing, playing the guitar, etc. If you feel that you cannot survive without playing the game, then you have a problem.

There are other games to play on other systems, books to read, musical instruments to learn, programming languages to learn, etc. Just find a new hobby.

Back