micrors4racer
n00b
- Joined
- Aug 12, 2006
- Messages
- 41
What is a comparable intel system to a powermac G5 late 2005 model with a dual-core 2.0ghz and 1gb ram?
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
ummm... pentium 4
Ok thats good enough as long as its faster than my skt 478 P4 3.0ghz. Just sucks you cant keep upgrading the os no matter how old the system is like a pc.
Ok thats good enough as long as its faster than my skt 478 P4 3.0ghz. Just sucks you cant keep upgrading the os no matter how old the system is like a pc.
Try a Pentium III lol just kidding PPC is quite different than intel and a direct comparison is not easy to do.....
http://www.anandtech.com/show/1936/9
Anad states comparable to a first gen Intel Core series chip- somewhere between a Core Solo @ 1.83GHz and a Core 2 Duo @ 1.83GHz
Ok thats good enough as long as its faster than my skt 478 P4 3.0ghz. Just sucks you cant keep upgrading the os no matter how old the system is like a pc.
Apple places a hard limitation whereas Windows is a soft one. It isn't entirely true to say that you can just keep upgrading PC software despite the age of the machine. An obvious example is that a 32bit CPU will never be able to upgrade to a 64 bit operating system. The cutoff Apple made from PPC to Intel in a lot of respects is the same. In order to have progress on their new platform support for the old platform had to go away. In a similar manner it's going to happen again with Mountain Lion as Apple is pushing for 100% 64-bit operating rather than any sort of half-compromise.
Additionally as a less obvious soft limitation is just sheer speed. Windows XP spoiled a lot of users in the sense of being the only operating system they had to worry about for 10 years, but a P3 and P4 are not going to perform as well in Vista/7 as XP. Sure you could still run it, but for some of us the speed loss wouldn't be acceptable (That "Windows 7 Ready!" or whatever campaign comes to mind.) I believe in addition to not wanting to continue supporting old systems for the above reason, Apple also puts barriers in place so that there will be a continuous feeling of fluidity in the OS.
the thing is that 32bit windows can still rum apps from 20+ years ago and still run even older DOS applications that do not require direct hardware access....the x64 bit platform can run pretty much any 32bit windows app that does not require direct hardware access.
Remember the game "take no prisoners"? it still runs fine on Windows 7 x64 dispite being released in Feb 1998 over 14 years ago.....since it has a 16bit installer you have to manually install the game but it works.
^ That's why windows is the BEST OS out there overall it is providing new updated features while still maintaing enormous backwards compatability and the widest possible hardware base to run on. Apple will NEVER have that.......and that is why they cannot make inroads into the PC market.
Just as a side note, they already are making inroads on the PC market. They sell more laptops than any other single manufacturer.
I got this G5 as a trade for a laptop that i never used anyway so no loss and my computer (P4 presscot 3.0ghz 2gigs ram 7800GS) is way old anyway,about as old as this g5, so I decided to try it out to get a feel for OSX and so far im loving it! Just gotta get used to using older software that works fine anyway. PPC has been dead for what 6 years? I think that is a good enough time to switch hardware for those who had a g5 originally.
I would like newer software and hardware (this thing wont even run netflix) so I can continue to use OSX on the daily. What used Mac Pro model would be best for the money and compatibility for the newest upcoming OSX (mountain lion?) I heard that the oldest intel mac pros cant even run that and that would suck if I dropped the money on those, I am looking for something that will last the next 5 years or so.
Or should I spend 500-700 toward a new PC build and run hackintosh because I do like the os and I have a bunch of G5 cases to stuff it into.
Okay. What mission critical software do you use that is 10 years old? Backwards compatibility is nice, but is completely unnecessary... unless you consider games to be mission critical. Saying that a particular OS is the best ever because of backwards compatibility is by in large moot.
Just as a side note, they already are making inroads on the PC market. They sell more laptops than any other single manufacturer.
Rumor is the Mac Pro refresh is around the corner. I would wait until those come out and then get what is the current gen for less, if you're purely trying to get in at a lower cost level.
Obviously you do not get out much do you?
As for needing backwards compatability
Windows 7 has xp mode becuse "no one uses it"
There are banks out there that STILL RUN WINDOWS NT 4.0 or 2000 and not to mention the crapload of XP users out there......
So go a head a praise apple all you want but fact is Windows IS overall the best OS you can get for the obvious reasons I mentioned previously.
*goes back to playing Heritec 2 and other ancient games like Unreal
as to apple selling more laptops, no not true they include Ipad numbers so please try again. In terms of actual shipments they don't even make the top 5 when it comes to global PC sales
![]()
What do you think they will get down to? My budget is only about 800 at the most
I have Windows 7 installed on a machine, although honestly it serves no purpose to me other than gaming. I therefore am not sure what "getting out much" means in reference to any of your arguments. I could actually make the counter-argument that those that don't get out as much and are computer nerds (specifically nerds glued to the internet) would actually know more about this topic than those who "got out more."
Let's examine your arguments. First. Stating that old machines are running old versions of their operating system defeats your own argument. We're talking about backwards compatibility. If you're using an older operating system you have no need for backwards compatibility because you're using an OS that would be running those old programs natively.
Second. Windows NT and Windows 2k aren't currently supported by Microsoft. If a bank is running them, I would highly recommend moving to another bank immediately. This is especially true if they are using any of those machines to protect or safeguard personal information. If you want to bank in a place like that, go ahead, it's your money. XP is on it's way out. In fact, Microsoft wanted it to be phased out as well, but there are so many users using it that complained about their phasing it out, they gave into the wining. Making the argument that people are using older OS's still doesn't mean anything in-so-far-as making an operating system great. I could talk about a bunch of Mac's running OSX 10.4 Tiger, OS 10.5 Leopard, and 10.6 Snow Leopard. Great, yes there are people using old operating systems and therefore running old programs. This has nothing to do with backwards compatibility or fantastic operating systems.
Third, yes, Windows has an XP mode. You still haven't mentioned a single mission critical program that would require backwards compatibility. So far, you've mentioned Hexen which is hardly mission critical, and most gamers have moved on to you know... modern gaming. You also made a blanket statement about banks using old machines. Fantastic. The sad part is, yes I realize that there are a lot of companies using outdated software. I've worked for some. But they don't have a need for backwards compatibility because again, they aren't running Windows 7, they're runnings much older OS's. Those same companies when upgrading, would not only be upgrading the OS, they would be upgrading all of the hardware and guess what... they would upgrade all of the mission critical software as well. Any organization with a half-way decent administrator working for a company that actually needs technology will more than likely have no-need for backwards compatibility.
This is even more so in OSX. Sure, a few programs get thrown by the wayside, but nothing that is a deal breaker to all but the most obstinate.
Fourth. Okay, apparently iPad's don't count to you. Does stock price? Does market cap? Does overall value of the company? Does net profit? Gross profit? We're talking about popularity and devices in people's hands. iPads have cannibalized netbooks and laptops. That's a fact. If you want to ignore that, fine, I'll even give that one to you, but in terms of popularity Apple cannot be ignored. Every year their market share grows. Every quarter they break their sales from their previous years quarter.
If the only thing that makes a great OS to you is backwards compatibility, great, I'm glad you found exactly what you're looking for. I'm perfectly happy to use something "less backwards compatible" that is faster in all of my productivity applications and doesn't contain bloat all of Windows' additional bloat. You know what bothers me? Is that without a lot of work Windows 7 is over 20GB.
And if I need to use an older operating system or even Windows... great, I can boot into that or use a VM. But honestly, other than gaming there isn't much of a reason to boot into Windows 7. I haven't bothered in over a month.
Well, unfortunately it will probably be much more than that. Mac Pro's and Mac's in general retain a good portion of their price in the after market. Honestly it will depend on what you want and what you will be satisfied with.
repeating the same old line does not make your point anymore valid
Windows is
A. More secure
B. Runs on a much wider hardware base (ie you are not locked in to a certain revision of hardware)
C. Runs countless apps
D. is contstantly getting new features
E. is updated on an almost weekly basis (patch tuesday)
and I pointed out the fact of NT and 2K to illustrate the need for backwards compatability
btw Windows has 92.1% of the desktop market..........comared to 6.4% for Apple so you do the math.......
Found a couple of Mac Pros in the 700-900 range around my area but they all seem to be 2006. Should I look for a 2007 for future support? I dont need anything super fast, even this G5 is fine for me just cant do with the diminishing support like flash or netflix.
repeating the same old line does not make your point anymore valid
Windows is
A. More secure
B. Runs on a much wider hardware base (ie you are not locked in to a certain revision of hardware)
C. Runs countless apps
D. is contstantly getting new features
E. is updated on an almost weekly basis (patch tuesday)
and I pointed out the fact of NT and 2K to illustrate the need for backwards compatability
btw Windows has 92.1% of the desktop market..........comared to 6.4% for Apple so you do the math.......