Company Of Heroes Excitement!

aZn_plyR said:
Well, since my multiplayer experience has been crappy so far, no the game is GREAT, but I suck.

Any tips? :)

I've actually heard that playing the AI on expert in a skirmish, getting whipped, then watching their strategies on a replay helps. Haven't tried it though, i've been sticking to SP. I'm stuck on that goddam hill 192. Though, it is a great game, and I haven't even played many RTS games before.

Finished the game this evening. Quality game, bit short though - just 15 missions. The ending was dismal, hardly worth playing for

Probably because you knew what was going to happen in the end anyways :eek: ;)

Argh....

Such a fun game....but...

Why cant I hold that stupid town for 30 minutes?? Everytime I destroy all three enemy artillary sites with my rockets, I get sacked by enemy armor.

Bastard Nazis. Any tips for that one?

Has anyone had any luck running the demo from a non-administrator account? how about the retail version?

Khaydarin said:
Argh....

Such a fun game....but...

Why cant I hold that stupid town for 30 minutes?? Everytime I destroy all three enemy artillary sites with my rockets, I get sacked by enemy armor.

Bastard Nazis. Any tips for that one?

I assume you are referring to the mission where you repair the bridge? I had several armor built prior to fixing the bridge, and so after I crossed it was a cake walk ;) . Make sure to have engineers repair your armor, and use stickybombs from rifleman on enemy armour and the nazis shouldn't be too hard to kill.

whrswoldo said:
I assume you are referring to the mission where you repair the bridge? I had several armor built prior to fixing the bridge, and so after I crossed it was a cake walk ;) . Make sure to have engineers repair your armor, and use stickybombs from rifleman on enemy armour and the nazis shouldn't be too hard to kill.

Tank traps and bunkers are also a big help.

Just think about how you form the defences. The enemy doesn't have a bulldozer by that level so you need to get all your tank traps set up in a way that forces the enemy tanks down one corridor. Then just get lots of antitank up looking down that corridor.

Also don't just capture the square, make sure you capture it by capturing the surrounding territories.

Other than that just watch "We were Soldiers" and hang on tight :)

spicey said:
Will there be a Company of Heroes 2?

haha.. already talkin about the sequel? Im pretty sure Relic hasnt said anything about one but based on all the previous popular RTS trends there will most likely be an expansion

Narius said:
haha.. already talkin about the sequel? Im pretty sure Relic hasnt said anything about one but based on all the previous popular RTS trends there will most likely be an expansion

Hopefully something involving the Pacific Theater or the Eastern Front. Those theaters are rarely touched in WWII games.

spicey said:
Will there be a Company of Heroes 2?

The mission selection screen gives me the impression that other campaigns could be produced. It would be nice to see a few more allied campaigns and perhaps evan a nazi campaign ;) . The included campaign only touches on a portion of the normandy campaign, so there should be plenty of content left.

The one thing I really wish this game had was the ability to disable buildings/units. I would love to just have an all infantry map rather then getting bum rushed by those god damned armored cars and stugs.

Stammer said:
The one thing I really wish this game had was the ability to disable buildings/units. I would love to just have an all infantry map rather then getting bum rushed by those god damned armored cars and stugs.

I hear you man, I would really love this as well. I did manage to find a map that achieves this somewhat. It is a 4 player map, but I forget what the name is, something with valley in the name. The Allies are on one side and the Axis are on the other side of a river. There are only 4 fuel points on the map so it takes awhile to build up vehicles and armor. Usually I only see stugs and armored cars towards the end of the game, but by then I have plenty of units that can counter them. It's such a fun map, especially the part where I blow up the bridges so that the Axis can only cross at the shallow point in the river. :D

i think they'll give this an expansion rather than a whole new game, and frankly i really dont wanna see "Company of Heroes 2" on any shelf im sick of sequels....

miskari said:
i think they'll give this an expansion rather than a whole new game, and frankly i really dont wanna see "Company of Heroes 2" on any shelf im sick of sequels....

agreed

Stammer said:

I had the same wish, but after more play and trying to do the same thing right back at the AI and players, I noticed that my problem was mostly due to an AT gun defiency in my unit mix.

nicotine said:
Hopefully something involving the Pacific Theater or the Eastern Front. Those theaters are rarely touched in WWII games.

Agreed. Though I'd also like to see the map editor released with some N African scenery. The community could handle MP mapmaking from there.

Finally got around to installing it.

The game doesn't seem to use real line of sight, does it? That makes urban ambush a lot less effective. Also, the ability to hide inside a building undetected (unless they tried to garrison it) would help. Let an armored column roll into town, and then tear it to shreds with the infantry they didn't see from the road.

PopeKevinI said:
Finally got around to installing it.

The game doesn't seem to use real line of sight, does it? That makes urban ambush a lot less effective. Also, the ability to hide inside a building undetected (unless they tried to garrison it) would help. Let an armored column roll into town, and then tear it to shreds with the infantry they didn't see from the road.

Yeah I like that idea. It just seems way more realistic that way. Saving Private Ryan style.

nicotine said:
Yeah I like that idea. It just seems way more realistic that way. Saving Private Ryan style.

It's annoying that, for all the hype about realism in the game, ambushes aren't possible.

There's a reason tanks are really poor for urban combat: personal anti-tank weapons and the ability for enemy infantry to be virtually anywhere. A tank trying to take on just a few well-armed squads in a city is doomed. For all their impressive firepower, they lose all their tactical advantaged in an urban battleground. But that's not reflected in CoH, because your troops are immediately detected even around corners and in buildings, and will fire on any unit regardless of whether they have any hope of taking it on. Yeah, that's realistic AI :rolleyes:

That said, it's the most entertaining RTS I've played in a long time. It's taking some time to get accustomed to having to actually maintain a front and secure every part of my territory rather than just building pockets of defenses around resources and developing a massive assault, but I think once I grow accustomed to it, I'll like it better.

PopeKevinI said:
It's annoying that, for all the hype about realism in the game, ambushes aren't possible.

There's a reason tanks are really poor for urban combat: personal anti-tank weapons and the ability for enemy infantry to be virtually anywhere. A tank trying to take on just a few well-armed squads in a city is doomed. For all their impressive firepower, they lose all their tactical advantaged in an urban battleground. But that's not reflected in CoH, because your troops are immediately detected even around corners and in buildings, and will fire on any unit regardless of whether they have any hope of taking it on. Yeah, that's realistic AI :rolleyes:

That said, it's the most entertaining RTS I've played in a long time. It's taking some time to get accustomed to having to actually maintain a front and secure every part of my territory rather than just building pockets of defenses around resources and developing a massive assault, but I think once I grow accustomed to it, I'll like it better.

There are some parts of it that are really realistically and well done, such as tanks being impervious to small arms fire, and there are others, such as the ambush tactic we are talking about, that are poorly done or left out all together.

Overall I think that this is an excellent representation of the RTS genre. I really like how it is much different from the standard RTS model where you gather resources with minor skirmishes in the begnning of the game and then attack your enemies with massed forces. Although that is fun, it gets old after awhile.

I have the demo is poor performance for me average 8 fps :( I dont know why.....I have in automatic settings med all and 1600x1080 really bad in my pc,, any sugestion?????

andersondiaz said:
I have the demo is poor performance for me average 8 fps :( I dont know why.....I have in automatic settings med all and 1600x1080 really bad in my pc,, any sugestion?????

Judging from your sig, I'm going to have to say its the SLI bug. The 1.2 patch made it better, but it's still far from where it should be in performance.

Try running the game with ARF2 enabled, that along with the latest patch solved all my headaches. I'm running the game max everything at 1600X900 at 45fps avg.

I've been thinking about the whole ambush thing, and I think I've come up with a few features every RTS should have:

-line of sight, so that urban scenarios are very tense, with the possibility of there being enemy tanks around every corner

-The ability to hide garrisoned troops in buildings. You'd have to have some way to resolve matters if the enemy decided to garrison the same building in which your enemies are hiding, but that could be worked out reasonably enough.

-An "ambush" function. Here's a quote from a chat I was having with a friend that led to a little brainstorm:

"What would be even cooler is an ambush button where you set a bunch of units on ambush for when the enemy reaches a certain point."

"I'm thinking garrison a few buildings, put a few troops behind buildings, and hide tanks just outside the city. When the enemy moved a column of armor through, they get halfway down the street when the ambush trips. Machine gunners in the windows, riflemen tossing grenades from down the street, and tanks flanking them. THAT would be realism."

My idea would be that you garrison some buildings and position a few units where you want them. You would select them all, click ambush, and select the point (or area) the enemy has to reach to trigger the ambush.

I notice on CoH that the concept of patrols seems to be a moot point, but they figure heavily in combat tactics for the last hundred years (at least). The idea of ambushes and concealed units would force people to conduct patrols against established front lines, trying to spring ambushes with small units before risking a major strike in the area.

Alright I finally got around to buying the game after not even being able to play the demo due to horrendous performance.

The final game with the patch still leaves A LOT to be desired in the performance department.

Isn't the game supposed to run better WITH post processing enabled? Does it really disable SLI if you disable post processing?

Running at 1280x1024, on ultra quality, 4x AA and 16x AF, the game runs like absolute garbage. So I had to change all the "ultras" to "highs" and the texture quality to "medium" which is complete BS... Two 7800 GT's and I need to set texture quality to medium for acceptable frames. So now it runs somewhat decently, but still chugs when there is a lot going on. I don't understand it. Is this normal, is the game just THAT demanding?

My specs are:
A8N32-SLI
Athlon X2 4400+
2GB OCZ RAM
SLI'ed 7800 GT's
Creative X-Fi
Dual 150GB Raptors

All dual core CPU drivers and tweaks have been installed as instructed by the game.
Video drivers are the newest 92.91.
Chipset drivers are extremely recent, most likely the newest.
Sound drivers are the newest Creative.

Why should I have to run at medium texture quality! Ahhhh!

jaguax said:
Alright I finally got around to buying the game after not even being able to play the demo due to horrendous performance.

The final game with the patch still leaves A LOT to be desired in the performance department.

Isn't the game supposed to run better WITH post processing enabled? Does it really disable SLI if you disable post processing?

Running at 1280x1024, on ultra quality, 4x AA and 16x AF, the game runs like absolute garbage. So I had to change all the "ultras" to "highs" and the texture quality to "medium" which is complete BS... Two 7800 GT's and I need to set texture quality to medium for acceptable frames. So now it runs somewhat decently, but still chugs when there is a lot going on. I don't understand it. Is this normal, is the game just THAT demanding?

My specs are:
A8N32-SLI
Athlon X2 4400+
2GB OCZ RAM
SLI'ed 7800 GT's
Creative X-Fi
Dual 150GB Raptors

All dual core CPU drivers and tweaks have been installed as instructed by the game.
Video drivers are the newest 92.91.
Chipset drivers are extremely recent, most likely the newest.
Sound drivers are the newest Creative.

Why should I have to run at medium texture quality! Ahhhh!

I think a lot of it still has to do with the game itself, and not your hardware.

I'll recap what's already been worked out for those people with SLI and frame rate problems.

With SLI you will get terrible performance unless you install the 1.2 patch.

HOWEVER even with the patch installed, if you enable "post processing" in the graphics options it disables SLI and you're only running one card, so turning it on gets you a 50% drop in frame rate.

Well for me in COH with my rig I run at 1920x1200 and all maxed except for trees on medium and post processing off. When in a 3 quater top down view on that angle it runs fine but, as soon as I pan to see more of the battlefield the fps goes down drastically. Like if I try to watch a battle going on and try to get alot of horizon in the shot as well, I'm talking slide show city. That really shouldn't be the case imo. I'm guessing it has to do with the meh sli performance in the game. I'm hoping they release a new patch soon to fix this. Unless its just so cpu limited? I doubt that though.

Btw I'm running the 1.2 patch and all my drivers are up to date etc etc...

Ambushing is about the tactics you use, not the units you use.

You can ambush the hell out of the ai, and keep it focused on you... its not hard.

Ambushing players is even easier. You have snipers with camo, the nazi's have AT guns with camo, you can effectively hide your infantry in hedgerows well enough to flank at an ambush point, you can use artillery via sniper spotters to drop units at an ambush point, you can use several snipers in key areas to control infantry without using major groups, you have MINES, you can subversively blow bridges up while the enemy crosses... need I say more?

Thats what you have in game to commit ambushes. If the game had more stealth units and such, the game would boil down like the old days to a single builder rolling around trying to build a new base time and again unit you killed it.

In the real war, ambushes didnt happen very often, even in the hedgerows... after we started fitting the metal teeth on the shermans and running right over them. The nazi's probed areas with light forces, which in many cases blew an ambush one way or another.

I wouldnt mind there being several types of mines, like AT mines and hawkins mines that you have to detonate yourself.

As for realism, you don't want full realism here. The allies, at the ranges represented, would get wiped off the map quickly by nazi armor and tank guns miles away, the artillery would all take incredible amounts of time to aim and fire, artillery would be a lot less accurate, the rockets fired would be comining in just as fast with twice the explosive force, 88's would be knocking down allied close air support at ranges well outside the map's representation, you could effectively destroy an entire nazi camp with a single b-17 bombing run, ect.

They made it as real as fun allows.

If you want more realism, go play the sudden strike series... it literally takes hours of micromanagement to finish single objectives.

i have a 9800 on one machine with a P4 2.0 GHz and 512 ram and on my laptop (would rather not use but gotta do what ya gotta do) i have Centrino solo 1gb ram and GeForce 7200.. anyone have any idea how they would run on either?

Vagamus said:
Thats what you have in game to commit ambushes. If the game had more stealth units and such, the game would boil down like the old days to a single builder rolling around trying to build a new base time and again unit you killed it.

I'm not talking about making more stealth units (that would be *less* realistic, units wandering the map inexplicably invisible), I'm talking about simulating line of sight so that urban combat is even remotely realistic.

Hedgerows would afford even armor a substantial amount of stealth, and it was used; park behind them until the enemy essentially flanks themselves, and then break through and rip them to shreds. As best I can tell in CoH, that's impossible because the enemy would know your tanks were there, regardless of whether they *should* be hidden behind the hedge row.

They went to a lot of trouble to make CoH look and feel quite realistic. I don't think it would have spoiled gameplay or fun at all to introduce a level of tension that comes with not knowing whether a building was occupied or hiding a tank until you're right on top of it.

edit: I'm sure plenty of people have seen this by now, but I thought it was interesting enough for a screen shot :)

"Uhhh...how do we get down?"

Heh, in the single-player map where you have to capture a bridgehead, I moved my engineers just before the bridge repair completed, but it "completed" anyway before the bridge plates were in place.

The result was that when units crossed over, they'd get dropped into the water...then continue to cross. But when arriving at the other side, they'd get wrenched back up from water-level to bridge-level instantly...

This ended up /rocketing/ them into the air. It's quite entertaining to see a Calliope tank launched several hundred feet into the air and bounce down admist enemy infantry.

Not sure what your issue is ...
I play it @ 1680x1050
Everything Ultra
4x AA ON

7800GT
2 gigs

Runs great....
patched and not so patched...either way runs fine.

I also want to add that I have a buddy running this on a 1700xp chip
it's slow to load but is playable after that. yes turned down...gpu unknown

jaguax said:

!

Opie said:
Best solution to the SLi PP problem: Forceware 84.56 @ AFR2. No fps hit at all, in fact, frames will go through the roof. I can verify the efficacy of this solve.

Source: http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=107946&page=2

Forceware 91.47 Whql
1600x1200 all in game settings maxed, Game Patched.

Post Processing Effects on.

Average Frame Rate: 18.8 FPS
Maximum Frame Rate: 35.4 FPS
Minimum Frame Rate: 11.4 FPS

Post Processing Effects off.

Average Frame Rate: 90.3 FPS
Maximum Frame Rate: 216.0 FPS
Minimum Frame Rate: 22.5 FPS

Forceware 84.56 Whql
1600x1200 all in game settings maxed, Game Patched.

Post Processing Effects on.

Average Frame Rate: 82.3.8 FPS
Maximum Frame Rate: 205.0 FPS
Minimum Frame Rate: 42.4 FPS

Post Processing Effects off.

Average Frame Rate: 93.2 FPS
Maximum Frame Rate: 222.0 FPS
Minimum Frame Rate: 44.0 FPS

Just a quick reminder for the SLi peeps still having problems with performance. The above *does* work.

I just picked up the game and its fantastic. Running at 1680x1050, 4x16x, full settings, running great. Only a few missions in, but I am really enjoying it. I have been waiting for a good RTS, and this fits the bill.

Back