• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Comp Locks up...could be the Audigy 2!!!

amohedas

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 26, 2003
Messages
230
I recently noticed a very odd problem with my rig (the one listed in my sig). Whenever I try listening to music and use MSN IM my comp seems to randomly Lock up, and very short (maybe half second) clip of whatever was playing (ie music) loops through my speakers. Now I have never had this happen to me before. I have also recently flashed my Bios (about 1 month ago). My computer also locks up when I use my AIW TV tuner and as far as I can tell only when I am on IM.

Now has anyone else experienced this problem, or know what is going on?

P.S. When my comp locks up, it doesnt respond to anything, besides the reset or power switch. :D

Help is always appreciated!!
Thx
 
My Creative Cards used to lock up my system all the time...

Anyway, after years of research and some recommendations, You can fix it by changing your PCI Latency from 32 clks to 64 clks
 
I can't change the PCI latency in the Bios, but I read an article that says that PCI cards do not have to use whatever latencies you perscribe to them. In other words they are free to change them to whatever they see fit.

This article also explained how you can use PowerStrip to chnage PCI latencies for REAL!!!

Here is the link!!!

LINK

I am going to try what the article says, maybe it will solve my problems.
 
Try moving the sound card to a different PCI slot. Preferably one that has no other card next to it. Sometimes that will fix the problem. Creative cards seem to have a bad rep about stuff like that. I personally never had the problem, even when I had my VIA KT133a chipset board with a Soundblaster Live card and just about every PCI slot filled. I'm not a fan of Creative's cards anymore and probably won't own one other than my Live that's sitting on a stand collecting dust for a while.
 
I have the same problem, I tried using powerstrip to change the pci latency and latency of the video card, didn't seem to help. Are you overclocking, is your agp/pci locked? What pci slot? I can't seem to fix this, although I did read something here about a turbo mode for the drivers? Check your registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Creative Tech\Emu10kx\DriverSettings\Wave\Pin#00000002 and see if turbo is set to 1 or 0, I think that might possibly affect things. I really want this problem to stop, it's really frustrating. I bagged my audigy 1 for this audigy 2 zs (I purchased a m-audio revolution between the audigys, but returned because it lacked hadware acceleration). Damn Creative Labs.
 
My system is running @ stock speeds and the Card is in the third PCI slot (ie there are two free slots between the card and my 9700 Pro) So far the PCI latency tweaks that I did seem to have fixed the problem (yet i still get crackles when playing music on musicmatch and typing). I havent had any lock ups recently. I set the PCI latency of my 9700 to 152, and the creative card to 64, and the creative labs input controller to 64. Those are the only things I changed.
 
Back
Top