• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Commodore 64 is reborn!

Loved my C64 as a kid. Some of the best games I ever played were on that machine, even to this day.

I'd be tempted to snag one just for kicks depending on final pricing and specs.
 
As much as I would love one of these... I don't see it happening for me. I loved my commodore -- everything about it. But I don't $900 or $600 love it.

It's basically an ubunto box that can boot directly to the C64 ROM or ubuntu, all crammed into a C64 case. I think at this point in my life, I would run Ubuntu and use a Commodore emulator, or I would just break out my old 128.



for x = 1 to 15
poke 53280,x
next x
 
Im suprised I haven't seen this done in a case mod either, although i may just be oblivious to it.
 
>atom
>$600

fail.

kspooner13: there have been C64 case mods done before (scroll down to News-item 02-09-2005): http://commodore-gg.hobby.nl/nieuwtjesarchief2005.htm

Here's a more recent ITX mod: http://stiggyblog.wordpress.com/2010/10/12/quick-c64-itx-pc-update/

The pictures in the second link remind me of my first ever computer hardware mod. I added a debounced reset switch to my C64 using a dual 2 input NAND gate. I used a similar style red reset switch on the back. It was an awesome "debugging tool" when I wrote in assembly language (most user memory was not cleared during reset) and also saved wear on the power switch since that was the usual method of exiting games and some applications.

I used to print screenshots of games by playing the game, hitting reset and using a 300-odd byte assembly language print screen utility I wrote that outputted to Epson compatible dot matrix printers. Good times.
 
Last edited:
They've tried to revive Commodore repeatedly and failed. In today's market,this would be just another slimmed down PC. The C64's popularity is based on nostalgia,it was one of the first home PC's aimed at gaming,and it was the games that sold it. Today we have multiple options for gaming.
 
The computer is shipping with Ubuntu. The Commodore OS (a crappy Linux-based OS) and emulator are not ready to ship. The $600 model doesn't come with blu-ray. That's only in the $900 model.

So, you pay the $600, and you get a $200 Ubuntu PC (2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, no optical drive) in a C64-style case.

What a joke.

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64Select.aspx
 
From the article:
Commodore 64 is making a comeback as a high-end PC - and it'll run Crysis

2gigs of ram and a dual core atom? No it won't.

Nothing says "high end" like an Atom processor with motherboard graphics! But, there is problem with our dreams of playing Crysis. This "Commodore 64x" computer ships with Linux. Crisis requires Windows.
 
Besides the nostalgia value, what's the point? And why would anyone pay that much for an Atom? Dool core or not, it's pretty worthless for that kind of cash. :confused:
 
Ah I still have 2 C64s around and both work so I am cool with the real thing but if I had the cash I will probably get one too.
 
I owned a Radio Shack Color Computer, the first computer I bought back in 1983. Back in those days CoCo owners and C64 owners were like Mac and PC owners of today, just no Internet to flame.

These products have nostalgic meaning but otherwise serve no purpose, but nostalgia is cool.
 
I think this is pretty cool. The C64 will always be special to me. I was 12 when I first got one and all those freaking games! Exploding Fists, Mail Order Monsters, Summer Games, Impossible Mission, Project Firestart, Raid on Bungling Bay, Beach Head, Blue Max and countless others. I still fire up the gameplay videos on YouTube of old C64 games.

I dont think I would buy something like this but I still think its pretty cool. I still have my old C128 and 1571 disc drive up in my mom's attic. I remember all the hype that the C128 was gonna have all this potential and all these games would take advantage of it. Problem was the C128 could be switched into a C64 by holding the Ctrl and Commodore logo key together (I think thats right) so all the games that came out saying they were C128 games, were just C64 games that could be played on the C128. Kinda like today how we get games that are built down so they can be played on puny consoles.
 
I think the other problem that devices like the C64/C128 and CoCo had was in the emergence of DOS PCs in the mid to late 80's especially in the business world, other devices just started to become toys and they just died unfortunately.
 
...Problem was the C128 could be switched into a C64 by holding the Ctrl and Commodore logo key together (I think thats right)...

Yes, that's exactly right. Holy crap, you just caused a major flashback to me and my friends running Flight Simulator, then acting out the moves from Wrestlemania and/or Bruce Lee (one of us would inevitably end up going home crying or to the ER)... all with Menudo and Cool in the Gang playing in the background :)
 
And the final scene from Kareteka if you go into Mariko's room in a fighting stance?

Nostalgia wins the day.
 
Yes, that's exactly right. Holy crap, you just caused a major flashback to me and my friends running Flight Simulator, then acting out the moves from Wrestlemania and/or Bruce Lee (one of us would inevitably end up going home crying or to the ER)... all with Menudo and Cool in the Gang playing in the background :)

Menudo?! Cool in the Gang?! Jesus....lets change the subject I am feeling old! :D
 
I had the C-64 with tape recorder, oh those good times :) Noone cared about DRM, and everyone was just copying casettess like crazy :D :D :D

Oh, and most sought good was the hair pin - which was used to make the tape recorder read the tape :)
 
Screw the 64. The commodore Amiga was and still is one of the most awesome computers ever designed (considering the time frame and what it was marketed against). Not that the 64 was necessarily a bad machine, it wasn't. But the Amiga was so far ahead of it's time it isn't funny.
 
I sold my C128 and put some extra dollars toward an Amiga - all in 2 days time!

I loved my 1000.
 
I owned a Radio Shack Color Computer, the first computer I bought back in 1983. Back in those days CoCo owners and C64 owners were like Mac and PC owners of today, just no Internet to flame.
Hope you liked your Trash 80. :D Even Apple owners didn't like Tandy/Radio Shack computers. There were worse, like the Coleco Adam, TI 99/4A and Timex Sinclair 1000 (fun fact: TS1000 had 1KB of user memory to run programs or store data, hence the name... RAM expansion cartridge was available).

I thought the Atari 400/800 culture was just weird. Nothing was really wrong with those, it's just that the C64 was better in many ways.

Now I'm all nostalgic about my Apple IIe with dual floppies and extended 80 column card. I still have my 25+ year old C64.
 
Last edited:
I had the C-64 with tape recorder, oh those good times :) Noone cared about DRM, and everyone was just copying casettess like crazy :D :D :D

Oh, and most sought good was the hair pin - which was used to make the tape recorder read the tape :)

It was called a "datasette". I had one too and gawdamighty it took forever to load anything. I remember loving Castle Telengard but it took literally 30 minutes to load and it was a pretty simple game. I was so stoked when I got my 1541 disc drive the next Christmas.
 
Last edited:
I had a "Datasette" too, and I think the first game I had was "B-52 Bomber."
 
Oh look, it's the latest gimmicky attempt at reanimating commodore's rotting corpse.

Let it die with what little dignity there is left.

Please.
 
Screw the 64. The commodore Amiga was and still is one of the most awesome computers ever designed (considering the time frame and what it was marketed against). Not that the 64 was necessarily a bad machine, it wasn't. But the Amiga was so far ahead of it's time it isn't funny.

The Amiga's fate still upsets me to this day.

The C64 was a fantastic machine for its time though, 1982 I think it came out? I think it was pretty much unrivalled by any other 8-bit computer
 
Yeah I remember the "datasettes" and how brutal the load times were. The tape players never seemed to last though; my dad was forever taking them back to be replaced before we eventually ditched it and got a floppy disc drive (back when floppy discs were actually floppy).

Ready
Load"*",8,1
 
The Amiga's fate still upsets me to this day.

Indeed. There are features of the Amiga that have still not been incorporated into mainstream PC's, even though there is a very good reason to do so. Part of the OS in ROM? Amazing idea. Wish modern computers would take note of that and do something similar. And it wasn't something simple like the BIOS either, it was actually a major part of the OS, in something that the computer could not modify. Plus, it made boot up amazingly fast.

So many firsts on the Amiga for a home computer. Pre-emptive multitasking graphical OS? Yep, when PC's were still struggling with Windows 3.1. <sigh>
 
The Amiga Workbench took forever to load from floppy. I still have my A500 and time has not treated it well. Aside from a few firsts it introduced, it's not the end all of computer technology people remember it as. Neither is BeOS. :p
 
So many firsts on the Amiga for a home computer. Pre-emptive multitasking graphical OS? Yep, when PC's were still struggling with Windows 3.1. <sigh>

I think OS-9 on the Tandy Color Computer actually did this first or nearly at the same time. OS-9 was a fantastic OS for the day,
 
Can these use internal hard drives from within the c64 emulator? like to load programs or as some people refer to it as "software" ?
 
Back
Top