Commercial Telephone and Television Satellite Ban is Lifted

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The ban on telecommunications satellites that was put into place in 1999 has been lifted. What was once classified as restricted munitions has been reclassified as civilian technology, opening the way for a jumpstart for the Aerospace Industry.

House resolution 4310, the 2013 National Defense Authorization Act, moves communications satellites and equipment off a list of restricted munitions managed by the U.S. Department of State and puts the technology under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Commerce Department.

Well.....Anon has stated their intention to have their own satellite. I guess this gives them a greater chance of success.

Yes, because the infinity of space is limited.

AFWA8.jpg

So NASA can now launch comms satellites like JAXA, ESA & Russia always could... if only they had shuttles. oh well.

ban was on EXPORT OF HARDWARE RTFA
not launching it
ie if you built a satellite in the US you couldnt sell it to say Canada

They need to develop ways so that when satellites and things are near their end they can fall from orbit and be cleaned up/properly disposed of.

They need to develop ways so that when satellites and things are near their end they can fall from orbit and be cleaned up/properly disposed of.

to would double or triple the mass since the would need a far amount of delta V to de orbit the bird

This has been a long time in the coming and a much needed lift to U.S. space industry. (pun intended). The U.S. has lost a %50 market share to foreign companies mainly based out to the EU and South America. Let's hope that our fear of technology transfer is not outweighed by the almighty dollar.

It is ironic that to fight communist China we adopted policy that hurt our capitalist venture - it backfired quite drastically.

to would double or triple the mass since the would need a far amount of delta V to de orbit the bird

I always wondered why they didn't just have a final thruster to launch it further into space out of orbit. Like on a course for collision with the sun. I'm sure there is a reason for it but I never have looked into it. Just one of those thoughts that crosses the mind occasionally when looking at this topic.

It was a BAN on technology transfer, much like that on CPU's and Memory back in the 80's, when I had to inform the Govt and file documents when exporting products with 68030 chips in them. :p

They ended that ban/control and within years, much of the US Computer manufacturing VANISHED to Asia. :eek:

I'm sure nothing like that will happen to the US Aerospace manufacturing. :mad::rolleyes:

It was a BAN on technology transfer, much like that on CPU's and Memory back in the 80's, when I had to inform the Govt and file documents when exporting products with 68030 chips in them. :p

They ended that ban/control and within years, much of the US Computer manufacturing VANISHED to Asia. :eek:

I'm sure nothing like that will happen to the US Aerospace manufacturing. :mad::rolleyes:

the thing was it ALREADY happened since you couldnt sell to any one out side of the US
so the rest of the world just went else where
they lifted the ban because the US Aerospace was in getting killed

Back