Command Center

Shmuckety

[H]ard|Gawd
I am in desparate need of a desk for the office in my house. I wish to build it to my needs. I don't have a ton of experience doing these types of things, but here I go anyway. This desk will take up most of the room as shown here: (desk in blue-ish color)

Here are some of the tools I will be using (lots of clamps):

My trusty router

I have already started making some drawers for the filing cabinets that will be the legs of the desk.

I am pretty much planning this as I go along. I don't know how many drawers I will need, but I think as many as possible for all the computer odds and ends I have to store.

This is definitely going to be a long term project.

Cool. Can you tell us any more about what the Command Centre name is for - i take it you mean you'll be monitoring lots of remote sites and such? That means lots of monitors :cool:

Not really. All my computers are used for fun, work, and folding. I just need a bunch of room for 3-4 stations for my wife and other people that will be using them. Nothing fancy, but I have 3 PC's and 2 laptops so I need some space. Also, its almost time to upgrade so a 4th computer will most likely be on the way soon ;)

The Warlock: [to Matt] Why did you bring a cop to my command center?
John McClane: Ha-ha-ha, command center?!? … It's a basement!

The Warlock: [to Matt] Why did you bring a cop to my command center?
John McClane: Ha-ha-ha, command center?!? … It's a basement!

Pretty much, except I don't live with my mother :p and my power does not stay on during a blackout :(

OK. It is getting warmer and I have had months to plan. Time to bring this bitch back from the dead.

I bought some wood and began cutting today. Not too much done, but I will have this project completed withing 2 weeeks (I hope). I will post some more pics when I take them ;)

I must warn everyone that I am not a woodworker or craftsmen. I have seen some of the worklogs here and I can guarantee you that this will not look like something that could have been created by god himself (like some of the masterpieces that I have seen on the [H]). It will be a large desk...large enough to suit my needs.

I think its the DW744. I have had it for a while and haven't had any problems. Cuts like butter. Acrylic, wood, I even used a sanding disk on it to sand things.

The guide only extends to like 24 or 25", but I can't blame them for that its a compact table saw. Using it without the guide is not too bad either. Also, its not too heavy so you can move it around.

cool. I was just interested since my dad's saw was up to the motor in water, and now I can't take it apart to get it out the door because of rust! I may have to pick up one of these saws. Oh, and GL on the desk!

I got some light maple plywood, to keep costs down (can't spend too much on this project). Cut it all up:

Took my 2 drawers and put them in to a cabinet like so:

This is coming along nicely, but I may not have any more progress for a few days. I like the light and modern color of the wood. I think I will just shellac it to keep the color.

This is turning out better than I thought it would so far (no urprises yet).

I have to make a total of 3 cabinets (with 2 file drawers in each). I have a production line going, but with only one person working it is slow. I should have a lot more to post within a 5-7 days. Bear with me.

I have an update. Almost done, just a few things left now,

Its a mess in there :(

Pretty much all put together.

Now I just have to take it all back apart, add some finishing pieces and put a protective finish on it.

Here it is all apart again getting some oil based love.

Most of these pics are coming out kind of dark. The wood is very light with a clear coat.

I am excited that I am almost done. :D

Nice, looks really cool. I have a huge store bought desk at home, but I'm almost tempted to custom build myself one, to get it really like I want it :)

Wow--that looks really nice!

I did something similar a couple years back--in fact, the room I did it in was exactly the same size. What you're doing is much nicer, though--I had to make my desks collapsible so we could convert the room into a guest bedroom.

What kind of plywood are you using? How deep is the desk? From the plans, it looks like it's 27-30" deep, but from the pictures, it looks shallower. Are you only staining the visible outside surfaces?

One warning: you will never have enough storage room. I recently custom-built a computer desk, designed to hold whatever miscellaneous stuff in the legs. Between the UPSes, switches, and random spare hardware, they filled up really fast, and didn't even make a dent in all my stuff. Be careful! :)

Lookin good man! It doesn't matter if you're a master woodworker or not. As long as you like it and it does what it is supposed to do, its gold in my opinion.

The top is 23" deep. I am only finishing the visible surfaces. The plywood has a maple surface on each side. I doubt there is enough room in the world. If I have more room i get more stuff. :)

Its gonna take me a while to sand it. I don't have a ton of time and its taking forever. I want to be done already. :(

Alright its pretty much done now.

Right:

Middle:

Left:

I love the fan in this room. It looks like a WW2 bomber or something. :D

Well there it all is. It took forever, but I am happy with the outcome. I still have to decide if I will install keyboard trays. Other than that I have to put all my junk back in this room again. :(

for someone with not much prior experience I would say you did a damn fine job.. heck, even if you did have a lot of experience. :)

Thanks a lot. I am glad to be done. I don't like long drawn out projects, but I am very happy with it.

good job man, tried something like this in my early teens' and everything that could go wrong did:p -

Back