Comcast to start rolling out 2 Gigabit speeds.

Eshelmen

Supreme [H]ardness
http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/imagine-where-2-gigabit-speeds-will-take-you

Atlanta seems to be getting it first.

I'm curious on if they'll still have a mediocre cap of 300-400 gigs a month. lol

"Gigabit Pro is a professional-grade residential fiber-to-the-home solution that leverages our fiber network to deliver 2 Gbps upload and download speeds. We’ve spent a decade building a national fiber backbone across 145,000 route miles of fiber. This new service will be available to customers that are within close proximity to our fiber network.

Gigabit Pro isn’t the only way we plan to bring gigabit speeds to customers’ homes. We are currently testing DOCSIS 3.1, a scalable, national, next generation 1 Gbps technology solution. We hope to begin rolling out DOCSIS 3.1 in early 2016, and when fully deployed, it will mean almost every customer in our footprint will be able to receive gigabit speeds over our existing network (a combination of both fiber and coax)"

For those that are ready - what type of gear / home wiring are you using? Is there even consumer grade stuff for that or are you just using office gear at your house? I'll be moving soon and want to keep my eyes out for places more future-proof. TIA!

Good to hear that they upped the speed, but no amount of speed will lead me back to Comcast. That piece of fucking shit company can go to hell.

For those that are ready - what type of gear / home wiring are you using? Is there even consumer grade stuff for that or are you just using office gear at your house? I'll be moving soon and want to keep my eyes out for places more future-proof. TIA!
There are no 10Gbit consumer grade solutions

some of the the netgear 10Gbit switches are almost reasonably priced considering the 'early' adopter fee but thats about as close as you're going to get right now.

Let me rephrase - instead of consumer - to use my camera language "prosumer" :) As for Comcast ... the sad reality is they are the big kid on the block and most of us in the DC area don't really have a choice. It's them or even crappier DISH/Satellite or DSL. FIOS is super limited and I think they said they have stopped all expansion, plus their TV service isn't that great (my sister has FIOS at her place and I use Comcast at my place).

10GBit NICs are still over $300 for new ones and require a 8x slot, so basically a 16x slot. The most affordable 10Gbit switch is rack mount and over $700. To get two computers able to talk to each other and the rest of the world at >1Gbit (single port) speeds you're looking north of $1300 bucks, probably closer to $1500. Add in that even some supposed CAT-6 network cables can't actually support 10Gbit (likely because they just use CAT-6 labeled cable and skimped on the connectors, which matters for 10Gbit) and you might spend some time finding cables that don't drop packets (I recommend CAT-6a from monoprice with the shielded connectors).

So no, not even "prosumer". It's still enterprise/office for the most part but within the realm of affordability for super geeks as long as they have a considerable amount of disposable income.

Thanks for the info, Dragon. $1500 that's not too bad. I'd only have to give up one lens purchase this year ... though either way I think only one of my boxes currently has a spare slot in it for the NIC anyway. Good to know in advance though for down the road.

I have a sinking suspicion that it will have 2 1Gbit ports and not be able to give 2Gbit to any one stream but 2 1Gbit streams

I have a sinking suspicion that it will have 2 1Gbit ports and not be able to give 2Gbit to any one stream but 2 1Gbit streams

Interesting. With the price of the 10gig the way it is I doubted anyone was putting them in cable/fiber modems yet.

10Gbps can be pretty cheap in CX4 form... Like with a Woven LB4 switch and Myricom cards from Ebay. The switch can be had for around $100 and the cards for <$100/ea.

I picked up a pair of Brocade BR1020 2xSFP+ converged 10GbE/FCOE cards from fleabay for $35/ea. and 20' active direct-attach cables for $40ea. From my research, the Woven LB4M has 2xSFP+ and will accept the active DACs for $200ish. So under $500ish 10GbE uplinks is conceivable.

This is what I've come to the conclusion of too. Although, there were some posts on DSL forums saying that the equipment used for Comcast's 505Mbps fiber service would be used for this service and it provides a SFP+ port that could be used to output directly to a enterprise router. I just can't imagine Comcast leasing a 10G router to a residential customer...

http://www.ciena.com/products/3931/

I'm all for it. I don't use Comcast, but if they are pushing out 2Gbps connections, other companies will need to compete. "I want fast internet, and 10Mb isn't going to cut it. Comcast has 2000Mb".

Pretty nice that speeds are getting that high. I remember drooling over a 33.6 modem (much faster than the 14.4 I just upgraded to!) because it was hella fast. Or a T1. Now, those aren't even considered fast by most people.

I remember 300 baud modems and pictures downloading a line at a time ... kids these days just don't know how good they have it :-D

As much as I hate Comcast - they do give me good service 99% of the time. There isn't much we can do given their monopoly but I'm glad for anyone who wants to bring faster broadband into the DC area and put some pressure on Comcast's pricing and speeds.

I remember 300 baud modems and pictures downloading a line at a time ... kids these days just don't know how good they have it :-D

I don't remember what I had for the C64 or how fast (slow) it was, but I was on Compuserve when using it. 1200/2400?

Well I guess its time to see what 10gb cards are supported in pfsense or pony up $1100 for a Mikrotik Routerboard CCR1036-8G-2S+.

Then the challenge will get getting bgp or anything larger than a /27 from them.:D

--goes into backyard to build a communications hut--

Use to piss me off when the image would almost load and some asshole would call. Like just 15 more seconds and I could have seen the first nipple! 15 seconds man!

It's great to see ISPs offering speeds like this, but what I'd really like to see is the "no servers" BS go away, and it would be nice if they offered multiple and static IPs. That much speed is kinda pointless if you can't offer services from the connection. And no caps of course. I would hope that such fast connection would not have caps or it would be kind of pointless.

Heck I have 50/30, I would love if I could simply get a static IP and be allowed to run www services. The 30 upload would be more than enough for my low traffic sites. I even offered to pay them extra and they still said no. I guess they just don't have billing/logistics setup for it. The packages they offer are it and can't go around that. I'd just have to invest in a generator and I'd be set. I already have 4 hours of battery run time. :D

It's great to see ISPs offering speeds like this, but what I'd really like to see is the "no servers" BS go away, and it would be nice if they offered multiple and static IPs. That much speed is kinda pointless if you can't offer services from the connection. And no caps of course. I would hope that such fast connection would not have caps or it would be kind of pointless.

Heck I have 50/30, I would love if I could simply get a static IP and be allowed to run www services. The 30 upload would be more than enough for my low traffic sites. I even offered to pay them extra and they still said no. I guess they just don't have billing/logistics setup for it. The packages they offer are it and can't go around that. I'd just have to invest in a generator and I'd be set. I already have 4 hours of battery run time. :D

Apologize for my noob question.

But, what do you mean you can't run a server at your house?

How is that possible?

Apologize for my noob question.

But, what do you mean you can't run a server at your house?

How is that possible?

I mean public facing server, where you port forward so you can serve stuff to the internet. What's behind your NAT they can't see and don't care about generally. ISPs don't allow you to run web servers, and other services that are publicly accessible. Basically they don't want you to run anything that you could profit from. Some stupid rule that most if all ISPs have always had and none of them ever decided to go against the grain and allow that stuff. Some do offer business packages that do remove those restrictions though, but not all. I guess it's because they too offer web hosting and such so they don't want people to offer it using their own service as competition.

Though I suppose a loophole to that restriction would be to have a persistent VPN tunnel between your home network and online dedicated server, that way you could do iSCSI or w/e to use your cheaper home disk space, instead of paying the server provider for more space. The latency could be an issue though even if the connection is very fast.

I mean public facing server, where you port forward so you can serve stuff to the internet. What's behind your NAT they can't see and don't care about generally. ISPs don't allow you to run web servers, and other services that are publicly accessible. Basically they don't want you to run anything that you could profit from. Some stupid rule that most if all ISPs have always had and none of them ever decided to go against the grain and allow that stuff. Some do offer business packages that do remove those restrictions though, but not all. I guess it's because they too offer web hosting and such so they don't want people to offer it using their own service as competition.

Though I suppose a loophole to that restriction would be to have a persistent VPN tunnel between your home network and online dedicated server, that way you could do iSCSI or w/e to use your cheaper home disk space, instead of paying the server provider for more space. The latency could be an issue though even if the connection is very fast.

huh. i have comcast residential and i host tonso shit publicly from behind my NAT. Have a small docker farm with haproxy/nginx nodes.

Oh wow so they actually allow it then? That's a first and that's pretty awesome. All isps I've seen its against the tos. Move along then. :p

They say don't do it but it's not enforced. And you're joking about the "STATIC IPS FOR EVERYONE" right? I mean do you realize what it would take to do that? To ensure static IPs they'd have to assign everyone their own /30 subnet to route either via BGP or RIP which would likely cause issues with routing table sizes, not to mention they'd require four times as many of the heavily depleted IPv4 addresses.

"Well then don't guarantee that it's static just give them an IP that doesn't change very often" It's called DHCP and it's what they have done for years. If they don't have to move your node from one CMTS to another and you keep the same router MAC address, you can literally have a "dynamic" IP with them that doesn't change for years.

huh. i have comcast residential and i host tonso shit publicly from behind my NAT. Have a small docker farm with haproxy/nginx nodes.

Not on comcast but the "no servers" thing is policy only. I have all kinds of crap running at home.

I just use the as long as I'm not making money off it nobody will notice.

Not on comcast but the "no servers" thing is policy only. I have all kinds of crap running at home.

I just use the as long as I'm not making money off it nobody will notice.

Its not the money issue so much. It is weather or not you are taking significant resources. If they notice you running public servers they will probably look at your account and if it says Bobs Accounting service instead of a personal name... they will probably force business class (where servers are allowed) on you.... that's what i would probably do.

Just wondering... Comcast is claiming "2 Gbps upload and download speeds" but I have a sneaky suspicion that what they really mean is "1 gbps down + 1 gbps up = 2gbps!" and the marketing department started running with it from there.

Realistically speaking, gigabit internet would make me a very happy camper. :D

Sweet! Now that at least one company is pushing the envelope, more will follow... And with greater demand for >1gbps networking devices in the consumer market, 10gbps will start dropping in price :)

Also super stoked about the DOCSIS 3.1 rollout, too! I remember reading about it quite some time back, and thinking "man, that's still a LONG way off." Glad to hear it'll be starting next year. That will provide a more immediate, drastic change in internet connectivity for us than 2gbps rolling out somewhere else :)

Just wondering... Comcast is claiming "2 Gbps upload and download speeds" but I have a sneaky suspicion that what they really mean is "1 gbps down + 1 gbps up = 2gbps!" and the marketing department started running with it from there.

Realistically speaking, gigabit internet would make me a very happy camper. :D
This had definitely crossed my mind but I've never seen any ISP ever combine upload and download speeds to give a combined total speed so it seems unlikely they'd buck this industry trend and do something that would just paint a gigantic target on them for overpromising and being particularly Comcastic (it's funny because "comcastic" is one of the words Comcast searches social media for to find customers that are pissed off about something)

Back