Comcast Tech Goes Vigilante On Xbox Cheaters

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you had the power to do what this guy did, most people probably would. Having said that, using your real name, bragging about it on the intarweb and posting pictures of yourself after doing it….ummm, not to smart.

"We have identified the person who created this inappropriate post as an employee of Convergys, a third-party vendor who provides technical customer support for Comcast customers," Comcast spokesperson Jenni Moyer tells us. Moyer calls the tech's behavior "completely unacceptable," given he ignored proper protocols for reporting network abuse. He potentially ran afoul of several laws as well.

Thats fucking awesome. Except how he got caught, that was epic fail.

The picture of him explains it all. Some 23 year old punk who obviously isn't smart enough to not post his real identity... wow...

It really is too bad this guy was dumb enough to post details including his real name (did he want to get caught?). How many times have you wanted to "reach out and touch someone" who did/said something offensive or potentially harmful to you or others on the internet? I say, as long as his power was only directed at the offender, bravo, sir. And the kid got a beating from his daddy to boot (although I doubt the veracity of this, it's still nice to believe).

The (supposed) anonymity of online services has created an environment where people feel they can say things/take actions for which they would normally get a beat-down in real-life - it has become a refuge for cowards.

lol, that's so much worse than one I pulled

I had a guy that was giving me shit on Unreal IRC.

He was like "you don't know where I am"

He was host masked so I sent him an invite for a private conversation then stripped his packet apart to get his actual IP. Reverse lookup bgsu.edu

Private messaged him, You're at Bowling Green State University in Ohio, looked at their website and then picked one of the random computer rooms off the map, picked one and got it right. Man he freaked out.

I know a guy that used KPNQwests network to DDOS an end user as well, by just sending massive packets straight from the core routers. But that's really bad, you'd never get away with it these days.

Power tripper got owned.

As much as I don't like cheaters, I dislike power trippers more.

FTA:
i decided that being the self indulgent bastard i am, i wanted more...
Ironically, he's a third year Criminology major.

Somehow, that doesn't surprise me. Many people end up studying Criminology with the mindset of "Punishology". The proof here is above, where he displays pleasure at having taken action himself. So Dephcon, I gotta disagree. If this guy wanted justice, he'd've just set the kid's modem to reset every five minutes. But what he did do earned getting the book tossed at him. Unless you want some twerp going all vigilante on you from your ISP. I sure don't.

What a moron. Sure, he was smart to track down the cheating little bastard but to then brag? Hahahaha! He deserves what he gets.

It's like all those kids who think it's cool to go around breaking other people's property while video taping it, only to have them get caught because they put it up on youtube, myspace and any everywhere else. If you do something that can get you in trouble, just keep you mouth shut, regardless of it being a good or bad thing you did.

Hey, I bet we could get him to wack a couple of child molesters! At least them he'd be doing something useful. :cool:

I wouldn't put it past Comcast at offering this as an added service to your Comcast account.

- The Xbox cheater got what he deserved
- The Comcast employee, went a bit too far - cudos to him but he did break the rules and paid for it.
- There should be a way to complain to an ISP when someone does something against the terms of service/illegal (ddos) and the ISP should by law have to investigate.

There should be a way for you as a customer to complain to XBL and an ISP. You should not be allowed to flood the network. This is exactly what hurts everyone else, when the ISP wants to throttle their network(s).

I agree with what he did, it's just too bad he's more of a dumb ass than that kid.

I got a good laugh at this:

I work for Comcast as a tier 2.5 support agent, which essentially means im one of the top 1% elitest agents.

How's that card-reading job working for you, scumbag?

It's one thing to report an illegal DDoS to a company and get that kid in trouble. It's another to start threatening the usergroup at large, claiming you have access to their credit card info, personal info, etc.

That's one honkbag that doesn't deserve the privileges he was given. I hope he gets shitcanned.

Since he was so high ranking, he had the power to shut off a customers service. I had the same problem with somone trying to DDoS my home service, I tracked it down to being a comcast person hacking my sites... gave comcast a call, they monitored it, confirmed it, and discontinued his service... no problem since then.

LOL. That's awesome. As much as I hate cheaters and script kiddies, someone on a power trip should be taken down harder.

Watch the kid and father file some kind of suit against comcast and convergsys now.

Haha I'll be driving by Convergy's on my way to school in about an hour.
Tech nerds bragging amazing... I guess when you think your big shit you don't think Corporate has anyone watching ha ha. "You should never under-estimate the predictability of stupidity" - Snatch.

This story pisses me off. I'm like everyone else who hates cheaters with epic proportions and this story while interesting and makes you feel kind of good inside that one of those damn cheaters finally got what they had coming for them, this fuckup tech went overboard. At my job, I have access to extremely sensitive personal data of over 25,000 individuals. Calling the primary account holder, in the instance, the father, and most likely exaggerating the story of what his son did was way over the line and extremely infantile in my opinion. If this sorry excuse of a “tough guy”, who is in my age bracket, went all Kill Bill on this douche-nozzle of a cheater, then I probably don’t want to know what else he has done with his Comcast given privileges. This guy just has the looks as if he’s abused his given authority many more times than this one instance that’s been well publicized. From the way the phone call to the kid’s father went, it sounds like he potentially beat this kid’s ass for doing something stupid and juvenile, which again was most likely blown way out of proportion by Mr. Fuckstain, Comcast Tech. agent. What if this father has a serious temper problem and just abused his son for being a f***ing kid. Who hasn’t done something stupid as a kid? I’m not defending what this asshat cheater did as it pisses me off whenever I run across one when playing, but I don’t think they deserve what this vagina tech agent did. Both of these morons need to grow up. Hopefully this dick isn’t able to get another job in tech support or any job where he has access to personal identity info ever again. Hell, I hope he’s charged with something. That my humble opinion on this matter.

I guess what concerns me is that Comcast has people THAT stupid with that much responsibility. Toss in the fact that he's not even in the US (I'm assuming the victim was), and it's even more scary.

All we need is some jihadi getting his rocks off at tech support.

Since he was so high ranking, he had the power to shut off a customers service. I had the same problem with somone trying to DDoS my home service, I tracked it down to being a comcast person hacking my sites... gave comcast a call, they monitored it, confirmed it, and discontinued his service... no problem since then.

C'mon Ockie! Where's the fun in that? ;)

Hats off to the techie for having some fun with a punk assed cheatin' kid. Sounds like the kids 'ol man took care of business!

I don't know which is more pitiful. Some kid getting busted for cheating and subsequently getting destroyed by Pops, the techie for ratting him out or me commenting on this matter...

I find it disturbing that more people are thrilled at what he did to the kid (although I actually don't believe the Dad destroyed the X-Box and then put his son on the phone for the guy to gloat) and hardly anyone seems that disturbed that idiots like this have access to your personal info. Why does a phone support guy need access to your credit card info in the first place? That should be available only to the billing department.

If you can't handle what happens on the internet, get off of the internet.

It's sad if someone gets so angry they do things like that.

That just means the person who was cheating won.

Epic fail of a story, good read though.

What he did was wrong and not well thought out. I have days where I just want to take matters into my own hands and lay out justice as I see fit. But then i smoke a blunt and relax.

Cheers!

I've wanted to do that so many times, at least some got to smack the brat on the other side of the monitor for once.

CHEATERS SUCK!

This guy's more of a scum bag than the kid cheater he supposedly roasted. I don't believe his story one bit though.

I would have been with him up to the point he started threatening everyone not to piss him off. Can't believe he thinks he's the shit because of that AND he has credit card information. He shouldn't be given any more responsibility/power above flipping burgers.

I find it disturbing that more people are thrilled at what he did to the kid (although I actually don't believe the Dad destroyed the X-Box and then put his son on the phone for the guy to gloat) and hardly anyone seems that disturbed that idiots like this have access to your personal info. Why does a phone support guy need access to your credit card info in the first place? That should be available only to the billing department.

In some places that is one and the same. Not sure how Comcast works as I'm not a customer of theirs. But I know at my work (a small telco and ISP) the CSRs that answer the phone for your internet questions are the same ones that can processes your payment over the phone and can setup / remove autopayments from your account. Although I'm not sure it actually gives them the CC number in a visable format when they pull up an account. They of course have reports of payments so they could easy get that stuff, but not from just logging into their clients as I don't think. I don't know if Comcast also has their CSRs able to take payments or not.

When it comes to this incident. I think i that the guy acted imature in regards to what happened. Sure packet flooding is wrong and bad. But he had a few options. 1) report them to Microsoft. I just got a Xbox360 over the weekend and so my live experience has only been during the last few days but I seen where they told you to report conduct violations. That plus their recent crackdown on cheaters make me think that something could have resulted. 2) Follow normal guidelines that they follow whenever anybody else would report such an action without acting like an ass.

I see nothing wrong with him getting the person's IP attacking him and going to work to see where it is from. But the moment that he seen it was one of theirs he should have made an official report like they would for any other case and followed through it in a professional manor. Calling and telling the guy that his son is engaging in illegal activities online that can result in huge fines and prision time is just way over the top. This kid doing this to one person wouldn't get anything. The maker of the blaster virus only got 18 months, and that was for attacking 48,000 computers. If my quick math was correct that is only about 16.5 minutres of jailtime per computer. So i don't think the police or FBI are really going to care about some kid doing this to one or two people in a game. At worse Comcast would turn off their connection for awhile with a warning that if it happened again it would be a perminate ban or something along those lines.

This person just goes to show that just because you are over 18 doesn't mean that you are mature.

Actually i guess i should have said 17 as that is what M rated games are for.

Now that is dedication. To what, I have no idea.... a fuckin video game? pffft.

Well I cant feel sorry for either of them and am glad that both had/will suffer the consequences.

smokethatbongmark.jpg

Mark also has elite bong pwning skills as well. :rolleyes:

Well I cant feel sorry for either of them and am glad that both had/will suffer the consequences.

The scumbag employee, IMO, is the greater of the two evils. A kid cheating in a multiplayer game, no big deal. I barely play on XboxLive anyway, only do so with friends. If I ran into this kid exploiting the game, I'd be ticked, give him negative feedback, play on, and eventually go to bed and forget about it.

The guy swinging around his 4" wang raving about DDoS attacks and having personal information is just way way out of line. It would be worse if he were in my position where he'd have access to millions or billions of accounts...

The scumbag employee, IMO, is the greater of the two evils. A kid cheating in a multiplayer game, no big deal. I barely play on XboxLive anyway, only do so with friends. If I ran into this kid exploiting the game, I'd be ticked, give him negative feedback, play on, and eventually go to bed and forget about it.

The guy swinging around his 4" wang raving about DDoS attacks and having personal information is just way way out of line. It would be worse if he were in my position where he'd have access to millions or billions of accounts...

Being that it is Comcast we are talking about he would have access to millions of accounts i'd assume. He mentioned that Comcast owned Time Warner (which is something I did not know), so I wonder if he had access to AOL accounts also. If so then that would be a lot more account right there.

Back