Comcast Speed Increases!!!!!!

ok everyone with comcast here is some good news, as many of you know a couple years ago everybody with comcast 1500/128 service was uprgaded to 3000/256,and those who had the 3000/256 were upgraded to 4000/384 well THEY ARE UPGRADING AGAIN! starting this week into the middle of this year all comcast custamores with 3000/256 will be upgraded to 4000/384 and those who pay $10extra a month and have 4000/384 are being upgraded to 5000/512 i have word from a comcast tech i just called regarding my speed increases because i knew they had to be doing it again. i brought the good news last time they did this to everyone on the overclockersclub board and now i am shareing with hardocp!

for refrence i have already been upgraded,but i get 4.5/660 speeds i prefer upload for servers anywho :p

Ballz2TheWallz said:
ok everyone with comcast here is some good news, as many of you know a couple years ago everybody with comcast 1500/128 service was uprgaded to 3000/256,and those who had the 3000/256 were upgraded to 4000/384 well THEY ARE UPGRADING AGAIN! starting this week into the middle of this year all comcast custamores with 3000/256 will be upgraded to 4000/384 and those who pay $10extra a month and have 4000/384 are being upgraded to 5000/512 i have word from a comcast tech i just called regarding my speed increases because i knew they had to be doing it again. i brought the good news last time they did this to everyone on the overclockersclub board and now i am shareing with hardocp!

for refrence i have already been upgraded,but i get 4.5/660 speeds i prefer upload for servers anywho :p

There has already been a previous post about this.

But for the premium residential subscription, it's not 512Kbps, but rather 768Kbps. :) This shit flies.

I just wish the upload was better, upload costs a crazy amount of money and pisses me off.

versello said:
There has already been a previous post about this.

But for the premium residential subscription, it's not 512Kbps, but rather 768Kbps. :) This shit flies.
512 according to bestbuy tech(edit wtf i ment comcast) but i also have a bad modem and our lines in our house are gettin old so they neeed replacement

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12420250~mode=flat

They have been covering this over on dslreports for a long time so if you want info that is the best place.

Normal users will be upgraded to 4000/384 and those with the home networking add on will now get 6000/768. The upgrade is expected to be completed by sometime in March but quite a few areas are being upgraded on the 26th, in two days. I know I am!

Deadlierchair said:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12420250~mode=flat

They have been covering this over on dslreports for a long time so if you want info that is the best place.

Normal users will be upgraded to 4000/384 and those with the home networking add on will now get 6000/768. The upgrade is expected to be completed by sometime in March but quite a few areas are being upgraded on the 26th, in two days. I know I am!
lol holly fuck 6000/768 for the $10 bucks extra,ive had the $10 extra forever and i never expected that for $50 a month i can finally host game server lol psh now i have to go bum an old dualp3 512mb server off my school

yeah i got uped to 6000 over 5000 last night i just checked that out,i was wondering why my modem went dead for 2hours

I want it...

I hate where I live. There's one high-speed provider, and that's Cebridge (used to be called Classic Net). TERRIBLE isp... It's out probably 85% of the time, has huge lag spikes... Download is ok, upload is terrible...

It is faster than dial up, but it goes out more than it... So blah.

6000 k sounds so drool worthy it's not even funny :p

edit: Dude! This thread inspired me to put in my phone number/address into the DSL reports website, and it seems there's a company called Cyberonic offering ADSL - 6000/768 for $60 a month for the first 6 months, then $70 a month after that. The only thing is, I've never heared of 6000k DSL before? :confused: They seem to have good reviews on dslreports though...

Roadrunner (bright house) is getting an upgrade to. So far all they have said is the normal 3mb is getting boosted to 5mb down.
Not bad for 34.95 a month, not bad at all.

You can thank the start up companies for this. I used to have Comcast but switched to WOW and havent looked back. Companies like WOW have come along with better service and lower prices and took a sizeable amount of business away from Comcast. Since then Comcast has been busting their @sses to catch up.

When will companies realize that they need to reinvest their profits into their infrastructure NOT spend it on themselves?

I personally love WOW and enjoy paying $60 bucks a month for 5 Down / 768 Up while never having an outage. I remember when I cancelled Comcast the representative said to me "We will see you back in a few months". That was 2 1/2 years ago.

Back on topic, I am glad to see them finally trying to treat their customers right and reinvesting in their infrastructure.

guito13 said:
You can thank the start up companies for this. I used to have Comcast but switched to WOW and havent looked back. Companies like WOW have come along with better service and lower prices and took a sizeable amount of business away from Comcast. Since then Comcast has been busting their @sses to catch up.

When will companies realize that they need to reinvest their profits into their infrastructure NOT spend it on themselves?

I personally love WOW and enjoy paying $60 bucks a month for 5 Down / 768 Up while never having an outage. I remember when I cancelled Comcast the representative said to me "We will see you back in a few months". That was 2 1/2 years ago.

Back on topic, I am glad to see them finally trying to treat their customers right and reinvesting in their infrastructure.

Don't you love those Detroit Comcast reps? Stuck up bastards. I've vowed to never have Comcast in my new home, and so far I've stuck to it. I've got WOW internet now, and I'm hoping this Comcast bump, gets WOW bumped.

I've got time warner/roadrunner. Hopefully they will follow suit as Comcast doesn't service my area.

Alyosha said:
I've got time warner/roadrunner. Hopefully they will follow suit as Comcast doesn't service my area.

Brighthouse services the TampaBay area, they offer RR and earthlink. We are getting a bump from 3mb to 5mb *around* the end of the month.

wow? lol i enjoy my new 6000/768 thank you :p its pretty nice consider i have 4 computer,a deticated unrealchamp2 server with 7people all maxing the connection,i dont get lag in games webpages load same speed its awsome. when i add up all the network utilization numbers in the cntrl alt delete on all comps it never goes below 2 when everything is maxing the internet.that means im getting 8000-9000kbps usage(basically happens because of multiple connections),but 5500 seems to be my limit on jus one comp for some reason but still im fucking shiting myself. only problem is my modems die every 6months comcast gives us new ones free of charge but its mostlikely overvoltage comeing throughh my cable/or power lines

i get 2000/484 with my wireless... cant get anything but that or dialup for another 2 years till comcast's get's off their lazy asses and runs the new lines
lol

Ballz2TheWallz said:
wow? lol i enjoy my new 6000/768 thank you :p its pretty nice consider i have 4 computer,a deticated unrealchamp2 server with 7people all maxing the connection,i dont get lag in games webpages load same speed its awsome. when i add up all the network utilization numbers in the cntrl alt delete on all comps it never goes below 2 when everything is maxing the internet.that means im getting 8000-9000kbps usage(basically happens because of multiple connections),but 5500 seems to be my limit on jus one comp for some reason but still im fucking shiting myself. only problem is my modems die every 6months comcast gives us new ones free of charge but its mostlikely overvoltage comeing throughh my cable/or power lines

They actually cap your connection at 6300 kbps down. You might be getting different results because some applications aren't very good at estimating what speeds they are pulling.

To MD, i'm getting 4 Mbit up, 386 k down
To CA, i'm getting 3 Mbit up, 187 k down

Ballz, where in MD are you?

I got my account speed increased today!!!!

I'm going to go run some speed tests right now. :D

I hate DSL right now (1.5/384). My ping in games is always above 100. Comcast was great when I had it. I guess speed doesn't make the ping lower, but I know it was a lot better with cable internet

Download Speed:
4958.5 k bits per sec download
359k bits per sec upload

Which to me says 5mb download 384 upload.

Pretty damn sweet.

MeanieMan said:
Download Speed:
4958.5 k bits per sec download
359k bits per sec upload

Which to me says 5mb download 384 upload.

Pretty damn sweet.

Yeah, those speeds sound like 5000/384...I was going to ask if you had Comcast but then noticed you had already posted saying you had a different ISP. Anyhow, hopefully mine will come through soon as well.

i live in boston..no speed update for me yet..still getting 3mb dl speeds

My cable provider has also upgraded our plans from

3mbits down, 256kbps up

to

6.5mbits, 384kbps up.

for free! yay!

Odd, I ran some of the tests and was getting 700-800 kbit up but only around 1 Mbit down. So, there might be speed increases here and the test servers are busy, or we have some freak upload speeds and normal download speeds. Though I know I can download faster than 1 Mbit as I do it all the time. This calls for futher investigation.

I suppose ignorance is bliss. :rolleyes:

What your cable provider is giving you is that throughput to your local neighborhood aggregation point. The problem with cable networks has always been that they suffer from neighborhood traffic issues as your entire area usually goes into one single aggregation point. Thus, when you all get home and start surfing you get crap speeds because everyone is using the same bandwidth.

Does this or will the affect absolutely everyone? No. Can it? Yes.
There are people that I know that constantly get close to their full potential in bandwidth from their cable provider, even during peak hours. But a great many of you will not get your full potential speeds because of this aggregation issue.

However, due to what seems to be system wide upgrades by most all cable companies you won't notice much of this as a problem anymore. I mean...how many of you will actually use 3/4/or 6.5 mb worth of bandwidth?

I'm at 4Mbps/384Kbps. I don't know if that's what I was at after the last upgrade or if this is the latest. I'll keep checking over the next few months.

Wolf-R1 said:

What your cable provider is giving you is that throughput to your local neighborhood aggregation point. The problem with cable networks has always been that they suffer from neighborhood traffic issues as your entire area usually goes into one single aggregation point. Thus, when you all get home and start surfing you get crap speeds because everyone is using the same bandwidth.

There are people that I know that constantly get close to their full potential in bandwidth from their cable provider, even during peak hours. But a great many of you will not get your full potential speeds because of this aggregation issue.

However, due to what seems to be system wide upgrades by most all cable companies you won't notice much of this as a problem anymore. I mean...how many of you will actually use 3/4/or 6.5 mb worth of bandwidth?

Wow, you sound like a DSL commercial from 2003.

Wolf-R1 said:

I live in an apartment, 12 2 room apartments in this building, this many buildings.
I've already posted my new speeds, and those were during peak usage hours. I'm not the only one on broadband around here, my notebook picks up 4 wireless networks from my parking spot.
But then again you saved from falling completely on your face with this line...

wolf-r1 said:

Wolf-R1 said:

What your cable provider is giving you is that throughput to your local neighborhood aggregation point.

And by the way, if the numbers he's reporting back are from dslreports/broadbandreports, don'tcha think they represent throughput beyond the neighborhood aggregation point?

You must be very blissful indeed.

Of course all you cable users are going get pissed at what I pointed out. Personally I don't care what technology you use be it DSL, cable, point to point, whatever. What works for you is what's best.

rcolbert said:
And by the way, if the numbers he's reporting back are from dslreports/broadbandreports, don'tcha think they represent throughput beyond the neighborhood aggregation point?

You must be very blissful indeed.

Not necessarily. I have no idea on how they calculate total bandwidth. I personally have used their tools on two of my Internet T1s here at work...in the dead of the night...and had reports back that my speeds were low DSL speeds. These T1s are serviced by two seperate providers so saying that one has weak hardware doesn't necessarily work. The point here is that these tests are flawed. Incidentally I just ran one of these tests and got close to the speed I would expect an active T1 to get so yes...your mileage may vary.

Also notice that they tell you that some of their server are busy and that might affect your bandwidth. How does that affect your actual speed? Download speeds from one site to another are not dictated by your link alone but a collection of all the links in between you and the test site.

MeanieMan said:
I live in an apartment, 12 2 room apartments in this building, this many buildings.
I've already posted my new speeds, and those were during peak usage hours. I'm not the only one on broadband around here, my notebook picks up 4 wireless networks from my parking spot.
But then again you saved from falling completely on your face with this line...

No I didn't save myself from anything. I merely pointed out the facts. In your situation there is more total bandwidth out from the aggregation point than is being used in your apartment complex. Do you have solid numbers on actual number of users and their surfing habits? No? Now who's falling on their face?

This is not a pissing contest. I was pointing out facts. You cable subscribers seem to have a problem with someone pointing out facts that aren't necessarily in your favor. However, as I pointed out many of these upgrades that are occurring seem to make this a moot subject. Furthermore, I'm willing to bet that there is more total bandwidth coming out of these 'upgrades' than the neighborhood is capable of generating.

Wolf-R1 said:
This is not a pissing contest. I was pointing out facts. You cable subscribers seem to have a problem with someone pointing out facts that aren't necessarily in your favor. However, as I pointed out many of these upgrades that are occurring seem to make this a moot subject. Furthermore, I'm willing to bet that there is more total bandwidth coming out of these 'upgrades' than the neighborhood is capable of generating.

It's true that these nodes can suffer from over saturation but for the most part that is a thing of the past. In the past it was true that during peak hours cable users suffered because of this shared pipe but nowadays I really don't think it's an issue. I don't know how many people use it in my neighborhood but it's at least a couple. Still, it could be that they aren't using their connections at all when I am, but I don't think that's the case. I think the cable companies have more or less got it down and all the nodes have the bandwidth they need.

Deadlierchair said:
It's true that these nodes can suffer from over saturation but for the most part that is a thing of the past. In the past it was true that during peak hours cable users suffered because of this shared pipe but nowadays I really don't think it's an issue. I don't know how many people use it in my neighborhood but it's at least a couple. Still, it could be that they aren't using their connections at all when I am, but I don't think that's the case. I think the cable companies have more or less got it down and all the nodes have the bandwidth they need.

That's what I thought. In our business we have a lot of home based (using Comcast cable Internet) users that have commented on speeds reducing during peak useage hours. That seems to be less and less of an occurrence these days. And if these upgrades are addressing these issues then as I stated previously this is really a moot point and we're just discussing old business.

Alyosha said:
Odd, I ran some of the tests and was getting 700-800 kbit up but only around 1 Mbit down. So, there might be speed increases here and the test servers are busy, or we have some freak upload speeds and normal download speeds. Though I know I can download faster than 1 Mbit as I do it all the time. This calls for futher investigation.
try the http://nyc.speakeasy.net im getting 6196/710 constantly on the server since its for some reason never loaded i guess. it reads the upload a lil low cause i get high

Wolf-R1 said:

me :p,btw baltimore is a main market and usally one of the first to get upgraded and i never get slow speeds at any time.

Wolf-R1 said:
However, as I pointed out many of these upgrades that are occurring seem to make this a moot subject. Furthermore, I'm willing to bet that there is more total bandwidth coming out of these 'upgrades' than the neighborhood is capable of generating.

Thus classifying your posts as thread crapping.
The ass old arguement about cable users hurting each other was solved long ago.

Back