Comcast Raises Data Cap

lmao i can explain the last two months on that chart.

my sister install frostwire, and i didnt know about it.

Her laptop is now blocked on the router :)

But i can usually do 400~ GB a month by myself....thats with no torrents :)

How?? I have 2 kids a wife that use 4 pc's 4 phones on Wi-Fi a home phone that runs thru the net and 2 360's a ps3 and 3 net connected Blu-ray players so as I mentioned lots of gaming and streaming plus I work from home repairing and updating pc's. How do you use that much?

How?? I have 2 kids a wife that use 4 pc's 4 phones on Wi-Fi a home phone that runs thru the net and 2 360's a ps3 and 3 net connected Blu-ray players so as I mentioned lots of gaming and streaming plus I work from home repairing and updating pc's. How do you use that much?

I have a xxx addiction, i download lots of it.:(

In my defense i game at least 2 hours a day and netflix is always on my second monitor with something random on

Just thought id throw that out there.....dont wanna be that official [H] perv...someone else can have that title.

Here in ol' Blighty, there's a massive geographical lottery as to what sort of broadband you can get.

For normal ADSL, you might be able to get up to 20Mbit/s download if you're lucky or up to 8MBit/s if you're not. My line was recently improved and I get 5Mbit/s down and about 1Mbit/s up. The only plus is that I genuinely have no data cap or fair usage policy with O2.

There are cable services around parts of the country, but it really depends on where you are as to whether you can get the faster services. BT is rolling out its Infinity service slowly across the country which will give up to 100Mbit/s download and 15Mbit/s upload, but it's slow going and really depends on the geographical lottery again. If you pick the high end service, there are no data caps or fair usage policies stated, with the only caveat being that P2P is throttled during daytime and peak times.

I'm hoping that BT Infinity will be available to me in the summer, as this is currently when they're predicting the service for my line. I'd like to hope that O2 will offer a service to compete, but if they can't, I will be moving to where I can get the fastest connection.

Seems a lot of bandwidth is used for Netflix these days. Here's a brain fart. Netflix has to pay for bandwidth just like Cable companies right? So how does 250 GB for Netflix compare to Comcast in terms of cost?

Pretty generous. I have no problem with it. If you need more than that, there is no reason you should be paying the same rate I do.

You pay the same for TV regardless as well, but if you watch more then an hours worth of TV a day I don't why you should pay the same as I do. That's your derp logic for you.

Is that Rogers? I can't recall, but I did read something similar from another poster on another site--so forgive me if that's not your ISP. Your post is much appreciated by me--it's often, and erroneously, circulated in the US that "most everybody else" around the world has no cap at all and that US ISP's are the pits. It's always nice to see things in their proper perspective. US ISPs surely aren't the best, but they surely aren't the worst, either--and by a substantial margin it would appear.

Rogers is indeed a primary cable provider for all Canada, along with Shaw. Here's the market share pie chart :
http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf06090.html

In Quebec it's Videotron: they own the most if not all of the cable infrastructure in major cities.
You also have Cogeco, but they seem to have about half as much clients as Videotron, and I know they mostly are present in small cities.

check out Videotron prices for fun :
http://www.videotron.com/service/internet-services/internet-access/high-speed-internet

the meter is disabled it has not worked for days now that's been all over their forum too.

Last time I'd looked I'd used 11GB but that was a week ago or so. Still, I used 48GB in April, that's with streaming some stuff on Amazon and downloading on-demand content from DirecTV. 250GB or 300GB, I believe I'm safe.

It's easy to provide cheap data in a country where the entire population is crammed into an area smaller than most states in the US.

Cheap excuse? If population density were a factor in price/quality of internet, NYC would have some of the best internet in the world.... it does not.

I work from home too. I could easily hit the cap just working if I'm doing support rather than new development. DB dumps from our sites are anywhere from 4mb to 3-4gb gzipped and each of our code branches is 200mb. Grabbing a couple a day over VPN means life is comcastic and I run into their shit cap. Fortunately I do a lot more new dev so I'm not constantly grabbing data like other people.

I work from home too. I could easily hit the cap just working if I'm doing support rather than new development. DB dumps from our sites are anywhere from 4mb to 3-4gb gzipped and each of our code branches is 200mb. Grabbing a couple a day over VPN means life is comcastic and I run into their shit cap. Fortunately I do a lot more new dev so I'm not constantly grabbing data like other people.

i think i will be going to business class NO CAP

http://business.comcast.com/smb/services/internet/plans

Hope you have a tax ID. That's the only way you're getting on the BC service. BTW, there is a Telecommuter package available that isn't listed on the website.

sure do. Have had my repair business for almost 10 years now.

Hope you have a tax ID. That's the only way you're getting on the BC service. BTW, there is a Telecommuter package available that isn't listed on the website.

No you don't. I didn't have my tax ID and I had Comcast Business for about a year.

Also in other news , to those citing Verizon FiOS raising its prices?? Guess what :

We've been nudged by a reliable source with supporting evidence who tells us Verizon will be raising the speed of several of their FiOS broadband tiers very soon. According to the source, Verizon's symmetrical 25 Mbps tier will soon be changed to 50 Mbps downstream and 25 Mbps upstream. The company's current symmetrical 35 Mbps tier will soon see a dramatic bump to 75 Mbps downstream and 35 Mbps upstream. "As far as I know, it will be like old upgrades where everyone will remain on the same plan and I'm assuming pay more for the increase," says the source. These changes should be arriving somewhere around June 18.
- via DSLreports.com

Proof :

And

Despite market differences, the source notes that these new 50/25 and 75/35 tiers should be available in all markets, regardless of whether or not the market is on GPON or BPON. One interesting extra the source noted is that there has been talk of a 300 Mbps tier for GPON markets -- but it's not yet clear if that speed is going to be directed at residential accounts or enterprise users, and our source wasn't sure what the upload would be.
via DSLreports.com

Haha YES!! So if your in a contract you can call and you'll get your speed increase for free in June according to what folks are saying in the forums after contacting Verizon support staff. And a new 300 Mbps service tier. No details on the price differences but I would imagine they won't be that huge , just a typical raise.

Haha YES!! So if your in a contract you can call and you'll get your speed increase for free in June according to what folks are saying in the forums after contacting Verizon support staff. And a new 300 Mbps service tier. No details on the price differences but I would imagine they won't be that huge , just a typical raise.

Holy crap I gotta give Verizon a call. It's going to suck to be cable companies now.

Seems a lot of bandwidth is used for Netflix these days. Here's a brain fart. Netflix has to pay for bandwidth just like Cable companies right? So how does 250 GB for Netflix compare to Comcast in terms of cost?

Netflix can pay a CDN to do it, while Comcast has to pay for the infrastructure to provide the bandwidth to homes, and make deals with all the CDNs in dealing with space, and other network peering costs. This is the main deal with the entire Level3 vs Comcast dustup from last year. Who's paying for the bandwidth, and is anyone double dipping from the pot.

I didn't need it when I went to set it up. Nobody else I know needed to have one either.

Indeed. This is what I was led to believe as well when I set it up after doing some research on the forums.

No Tax ID required at all.

I wouldn't give up hope , Verizon loves to flip flop and FiOS is profitable , very in fact. The only reason they even sell off blocks to Frontier is because of local contracts in area's were they want more FiOS drops.

I can say that 20 meg connections or less are something that won't due for the future and bandwidth caps won't either.

By the way besides the 300mbps tier which is currently in the works and will be announced later this year (official speed ? 300 down / 150 up !!!!) the new upgraded tiers will cost $10 more a month so 35/35 to 75/35 will only cost an extra 10 bucks a month...

Suck on that Comcast.

The reasoning behind their "we aren't looking to expand" statement probably comes from the fact that they have to go through some process that includes the other internet providers in the area to see if they can even lay lines, let alone terminate the fiber at your house. Their copper lines on the other hand I think are free to drop but if I were them, I wouldn't spend the money to lay copper and not fiber at the time.

Its funny because in the middle of the road outside the house I used to live in san diego has a fiber cable the size of my thigh through the middle of it, but the company went bankrupt that laid it and so it remains dark.

I hope that where ever I move to next has FIOS, AZ is supposedly getting it with-in the next 5 years. That doesn't seem too bad, 5 years to grid an entire sector, terminate houses and set up WAN access.

Hooray for an extra 50 gigs. Considering that 1080p TV tends to weigh in at no less than 2-3GB per hour

Did several tests using hbogo over xbox, uses ~2GB/hour and that's for content that was broadcast in 480i and then clearly compressed to hell, and without surround sound. I dont know WHAT they are up to with that because Netflix actually has stuff in close to HD quality and it uses less data than that.

Back