Comcast Plans Data Caps For All Customers

Stream over Lan. Better quality and no caps. You can buy a $200 NUC & a 5TB drive for a one time cost & do all your streaming of the (probably) zillions of dvds/blu-rays you already own. I looked recently & I have collected over 200+ movies (many of which I haven't watched in AGES) that I'm going to start watching again.

I have most my movies ripped to my HTPC, and just watch them from there. The kids have any shows they are interested in watching setup to record, and since the HTPC has a quad tuner, and 2 TB for recording TV, we don't have any problems with conflicts or lack of space.

I've collected so many DVD's over the years, that we are going back and rewatching those movies, some of which we haven't seen for 10 years. Why stream when I already have most the movies I'd ever want to watch.

5 years huh? Pretty sure my city will get Google Fiber by then so Comcast can go fuck themselves.

I stopped buying CD's when the crooks at the RIAA started ruining people's lives with lawsuits. I stopped buying Sony when they installed rootkits via music CD's. I cut the cord over the inexplicable monthly increases in my cable bill. And if my ISP tries to enforce data caps I will move on to a (likely) shitty ISP that doesn't. You have to take a stand even if it means a little sacrifice!

I did the same thing in regards to CDs. I got so fed up with the RIAA that I stopped buying music CDs and just stopped listening to music. You know what? I don't miss it at all.

I also stopped watching TV and would stop the FIOS TV subscription but I can't get the wifey follow my lead (who'd of thought!).

So far, FIOS internet is working fine so it's a keeper. I'm on their cheapest/slowest FIOS internet package, 15/5, but actually get 25/5 for some reason.

and the rape of the American people by corp America continues in hong kong 1gbps is like 20 bucks the companies tried to pull the shit they pull here would never fly overseas. free market only works to rape the consumer at every chance it gets

Your dumbass local gov makes the rules after fat payouts. Make them pay with their positions. The ISP's only get away with what they are allowed to.

I live in Covina, Ca and can get a 500d/250+u, but go over to San Marino,ca one of the richest places in the US and they cane barely get decent DSL. Local govs make the rules.

Big companies have discovered that they can rip people off by using math.

People see a sale of "20% off plus an additional 20% off with coupon" and think that that adds up to 40% off.

"Do you want the big old bloated plan? Or do you want 1/3 the capacity for a total savings of 60%. And beyond that, is just $10 for an additional 10% increase in speed. It's our 10/10 plan. It's so simple. "

Hmm...I might be able to go Frontier here, but I don't think that's an ideal option in terms of speed.

I guess if they impose caps I will just switch to Business Class. I actually don't download that much anyway but I can definitely hit 300 GB/mo pretty easily just from Steam game downloads/updates and Netflix usage.

It will continue until you all vote with your wallet.

My family has dropped just about everything recently. We still have barebones 10 down 1 up internet for gaming, checking websites and email, & stupid stuff. And we just said "screw the TV - period" I actually have a brand new, nice big TV that isn't even hooked up.

Anything we really really want to watch, we just netflix DVD it. We read more books, we play more offline games, we spend more time together as a family. It's... nice actually. We are saving literally hundreds per month. And if they want to offer shitty internet at a reasonable price - then fine, I'll take the shitty internet, but there's no way I'm paying you more for a better experience. I'll just adjust my lifestyle for the better.

What's so great on TV anyway that you can't live without it? Hit em where it hurts, or stop complaining.

What's so great on TV anyway that you can't live without it? Hit em where it hurts, or stop complaining.
Very little IMO. A few good series, like 1-2 a year maybe. The rest is mostly garbage or when it isn't garbage, it's unwatchable due to commercials every 5 minutes.
Just the very concept of the torrent of commercials on a paid cable line baffles me. Cut that cord a while ago, very happy with it.
And if FIOS starts this shit, I'll cut that too.

One initial online backup will shatter their cap for me. I've got over 400GB of personal data which does not include movies or music or other nonpersonal info.

I'd like to see ISPs at least offer some sort of concession for backups. Once the initial backup is uploaded subsequent backups should be much smaller since they will likely be incremental.

It will continue until you all vote with your wallet.

That's such a naive view. These are gigantic corporations that control more than just one aspect of your life. There are better than average odds that Comcast provides internet to the school your kids go to. I'm sure they charge the school some egregious amount in a secret deal made with the board of education or county government.

You pay for that egregious price through your taxes.

Or another way, if Comcast decides to up the rates on Netflix streaming, then you better believe that Netflix will raise their DVD distribution fees as well, so again you will have to pay more.

But this "vote with your wallet" farce is also a lazy head-in-the-sand philosophy. How about instead of just ignoring it, you actually do something to improve your life and your community. You think you're making a choice by not buying in, but the fact is that the choice has already been made for you. Now you can either fight to improve your deal, or you keep pretending it's not happening.

No data cap in my neck of the woods. 25 down/3 up, unlimited. Stay away from Hell and Robbers!

oh i don't have to worry about robbers, they aren't in my area. Sympatico is though sadly but i do get cable and i pay the extra to avoid data caps... i pay 60/month for 5/768k :/

'Voting with your wallet' is futile.

1. These companies are granted monopolies so for most people there's no choice, we can't switch ISP/phone providers.

2. They have lobbyists that can get any law passed and block any reform.

The only way to combat this is widespread change in our legal system and for people to not elect representatives who won't fight for them. We need campaign finance reform so money is not a factor in elections. Major bills need to be voted on and approved by the people, not rich senators. Remove all monopolies and have open competition and anti trust laws like the EU.

The US is the worst possible system, its designed only to make the rich richer.

I think we get the word out that Comcast infrastructure is at it limits (because obviously they don't want more customers) and they are not going to do anything about it. So, if any competitors are reading this, this is your opportunity to take some Comcast business. :D

The only way to combat this is widespread change in our legal system and for people to not elect representatives who won't fight for them. We need campaign finance reform so money is not a factor in elections. Major bills need to be voted on and approved by the people, not rich senators. Remove all monopolies and have open competition and anti trust laws like the EU.

Yes, and this kind of change would have to happen from within (which it won't) so the only way for change to happen is if the people gather together and force them to, which historically is only achieved through violence.

But then they've got the people so comfortable and brainwashed (due to the purchased media and the illusion of choice through voting), this will likely never happen in America.

So basically, we're fucked. The only option is to leave when you reach a point where enough is enough.

Yes, and this kind of change would have to happen from within (which it won't) so the only way for change to happen is if the people gather together and force them to, which historically is only achieved through violence.

But then they've got the people so comfortable and brainwashed (due to the purchased media and the illusion of choice through voting), this will likely never happen in America.

So basically, we're fucked. The only option is to leave when you reach a point where enough is enough.

Or just form a small terrorist group and start executing executives of the companies in question.

Or just form a small terrorist group and start executing executives of the companies in question.

The problem with this is again the media. If you do anything lethal then you will be painted in such a negative light that most Americans who you're trying to protect would burn you at the stake themselves.

*sigh*

Comcast wants outside content providers to pay for fast lanes to the customers because they are taking too many bytes of bandwidth out of the system.

Comcast wants to charge customers based data caps.

Does one see the irony here?
(If you don't, go back to college and ask for your f'n money back...but I'll give you a hint...

One or the other by it's very nature automatically caps data bandwidth. If you cap it at the source (content providers) then you will cap it at the client (content consumers) If you cap it at the client (data caps) then you limit the amount content providers will stream to you.

Therefore they go hand in hand and both are not needed. It's just a way for a monopoly to f you in the mouth and up the tail pipe.

Violence is NEVER the solution.

Peaceful protest and letting employees know you don't approve of the company they work for though is acceptable.

Organized protest and taking advantage of whatever remnant of democracy we possess can still accomplish something. The problem is the average citizen in America is a brainwashed moron with zero interest or knowledge about what's actually happening in America, let alone the rest of the world. I've never seen a country where people are so totally ignorant and apathetic and only concerned with entertainment and consumerism.

Frankly in a country where poor people vote for politicians whose agenda is to decrease taxes for the rich and increase the socio economic gap, because they think its good for them, there is no hope.

Organized protest and taking advantage of whatever remnant of democracy we possess can still accomplish something. The problem is the average citizen in America is a brainwashed moron with zero interest or knowledge about what's actually happening in America, let alone the rest of the world. I've never seen a country where people are so totally ignorant and apathetic and only concerned with entertainment and consumerism.

Frankly in a country where poor people vote for politicians whose agenda is to decrease taxes for the rich and increase the socio economic gap, because they think its good for them, there is no hope.

I don't even know what to say this. Do you now realized that the entire platform of the democrats (who hold the senate and EH) is to TAX THE RICH TO PAY THEIR FAIR SHARE. They actually duped people into believing that Warren Buffet's secretary paid more taxes them him.

You lost all credibility with that statement.

as bandwidth gets cheaper, comcast wants to nickel and dime you.

at 50gb for $10, they're making at least 500% profit.

Violence is NEVER the solution.

Peaceful protest and letting employees know you don't approve of the company they work for though is acceptable.

Violence is a solution but it should be a last resort. Without it as an option, even a remote one, change can never be fully realized.

For those with the inclination to immediately disagree, this nation would not exist without this stated mentality. Peaceful discussion is the preffered method, however.

Violence is a great solution, and in many situations the only one. Violence irrecoverably changes conditions for better or for worse. Immediately. When societal structures and such are too strong, if you don't use it nothing will ever get done. All I can say is that is Comcast and co keeps up with this crap, violence can and will happen. They better not get used to that cushy little spot and remember that this nation was built on violence.

The internet is important, and what they're doing with it is just disgusting.

Violence over internet? Not likely. If corporations get to the point where you and I can't put food on the table for our kids - yes, then violence will happen. But the current ruling class isn't stupid enough to let it get that bad. Thus, you will accept your data caps, and your corrupt politicians, and you will bitch about it on the internet...

BUT nobody is really going to do anything about it now, are they?

This thread craps on me for saying "hit them where it hurts, vote with your wallet" - but you all aren't doing a damn thing except complaining :) At least I'm doing SOMETHING.

Violence, give me a break - over internet caps? lol
Don't vote for the shmucks doing this? - they are all the same... Doesn't matter who you vote for?
Has anyone here run for local government on a platform of reform and actually followed through with it?

ya... thought so... :)

Violence over internet? Not likely. If corporations get to the point where you and I can't put food on the table for our kids - yes, then violence will happen. But the current ruling class isn't stupid enough to let it get that bad. Thus, you will accept your data caps, and your corrupt politicians, and you will bitch about it on the internet...

BUT nobody is really going to do anything about it now, are they?

This thread craps on me for saying "hit them where it hurts, vote with your wallet" - but you all aren't doing a damn thing except complaining :) At least I'm doing SOMETHING.

Violence, give me a break - over internet caps? lol
Don't vote for the shmucks doing this? - they are all the same... Doesn't matter who you vote for?
Has anyone here run for local government on a platform of reform and actually followed through with it?

ya... thought so... :)

You're obviously missing the part about data caps not being the only thing they're doing. Did you read the news recently? It may be the topic of this thread, but data caps are not the only thing they're getting through via lobbying and corrupt politicians. Many companies are established and people getting paychecks via what we call the free internet. They might be taking their paychecks away. It's not only that. People are actually widely opposed to this, and all it takes is some proper sparks to get the blood flowing.

Furthermore, you're the only one with a defeatist attitude. It's people like you that keep change from happening. If you give up before you even start, yeah nothing's going to happen. Change takes passion and sometimes irrationality. The "ruling class" obviously wasn't smart enough to foresee and take care of some revolutions of the past, were they?

I'm not missing the point at all. I'm arguing that things in the good ol' USA are not NEARLY dire enough to spark action of the type you are suggesting. Yes, it could get much worse, and yes this is a slippery slope. But to suggest violence at this point - that just puts you into the crazy camp - sorry...

These are MEDIA companies. Who deliver television, movies, music, internet, and other forms of entertainment. I can hate what they do, yet also consider it not sufficient enough to resort to violence or revolution. I can instead, you know - read a book. That's not being a defeatist - that's just being a regular thinking human being.

I'm not missing the point at all. I'm arguing that things in the good ol' USA are not NEARLY dire enough to spark action of the type you are suggesting. Yes, it could get much worse, and yes this is a slippery slope. But to suggest violence at this point - that just puts you into the crazy camp - sorry...

These are MEDIA companies. Who deliver television, movies, music, internet, and other forms of entertainment. I can hate what they do, yet also consider it not sufficient enough to resort to violence or revolution. I can instead, you know - read a book. That's not being a defeatist - that's just being a regular thinking human being.

Regular depends on an average, not a static constant.

I'm delighted to be away from Comcast/AT&T (now with Cogent) and average 50mb/ps down (& up), and on a good day I can get 11mB(bytes)/ps down from Steam. My digital television in the same package is one or two entire notches better than the best Comcast/AT&T have to offer--and I have land-line digital IP (phone) with unlimited long distance--and I get it all for a price that's roughly the same as Comcast/AT&T charge for 6mb/ps down Internet--only! I'm still amazed. Oh, and no data caps, either. Wonderful.

The only thing these articles bashing US Internet service miss every time is the subject of *wired* data caps. (Wireless plans are horrible deals all around and a completely different subject.) While Comcast & AT&T currently cap at 250GBs/month, many ISPs outside the US are horrible--I've talked to people in Spain and Canada, for instance, who live with *wired* data caps of 12-13GBs/month...! Horrible! They look at a 250GB cap and drool.

Why do these articles *always* avoid telling the truth about extra-US Internet? Instead of presenting a truthful picture, these articles *always* cherry pick the fastest speeds on earth and compare them to the *slowest* US speeds, all without ever mentioning how much worse the data caps are in many areas of the world than they are in the US. What's the point in presenting such an untruthful, unbalanced picture? The US by no means has the worst Internet service on earth. That's pure hogwash.

Seriously, if you are someone with a 13GBs/month cap, with a charge of $5-$10 per-GB over that limit, what does it matter if you get 100mb/ps down for $20/month? With those caps and overage charges that's getting raped royally.

I did the same thing in regards to CDs. I got so fed up with the RIAA that I stopped buying music CDs and just stopped listening to music. You know what? I don't miss it at all.

I also stopped watching TV and would stop the FIOS TV subscription but I can't get the wifey follow my lead (who'd of thought!).

So far, FIOS internet is working fine so it's a keeper. I'm on their cheapest/slowest FIOS internet package, 15/5, but actually get 25/5 for some reason.

15/5 is actually kinda nice..... while the download is little slow, that upload is killer.... man you can host some awesome games...

If you want a "Free Market" for ISP's, I suggest you move to Europe where "Big Gubmint" actually created competition with a whole bunch of ISP's in a single city by the city or some other public entity owning the fiber and such that they then lease back to all the ISP's who have to offer low prices to attract and keep consumers.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/28/why-is-european-broadband-faster-and-cheaper-blame-the-governme/
The category of 'regulation' used in Europe is anti-trust anti-monopoly formation, designed to promote market competition.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/14/b...mergers-in-europe-are-still-hard-to-make.html
For many European analysts, the Continent’s telecommunications industry is ripe for consolidation.
In the United States, the fruits of consolidation are already being harvested.
The trans-Atlantic difference is in Comcast’s deal to buy Time Warner Cable for more than $45.2 billion in stock. The merger, if shareholders and antitrust officials approve, will combine America’s two largest cable companies into a nationwide provider of video, broadband data and Internet telephone service with operations from California to the Carolinas.
In Europe, such a pan-Continental service provider, for better or worse, would be hard to create. In the name of protecting consumers, antitrust officials have taken a hard line on approving takeovers of local cable, mobile phone and pay-TV companies. But that has also tended to stifle the multibillion-euro investments required to make communications networks in Europe on par with the most advanced systems in the United States and Asia.

But, the category of 'regulation' mostly called for here is to dictate how the companies can operate. To make the companies extension of government via hyper-regulation. These tend to become mountainous bureacratic burdens only the largest companies can bare to more insideous deliberate locking out of potential competitors.

I think it gets pushed because its a way to make these industries extensions of governments with enough distance to put blame entirely on the companies for whatever. All the socialist joys of nationalizing a business without the culpability for its ensuing failures.

I don't even know what to say this. Do you now realized that the entire platform of the democrats (who hold the senate and EH) is to TAX THE RICH TO PAY THEIR FAIR SHARE. They actually duped people into believing that Warren Buffet's secretary paid more taxes them him.

You lost all credibility with that statement.

He said she does.

I really hate Comcast. When they did the install to my house, they snipped the coax cables that ran into my other rooms that did not have a TV, and snipped the coax leading to my OTA antenna. Then they stole my 4 input grounding block, and replaced it with a single.

When I switched back to OTA antenna, I had to add new compression cables and buy another 4 input grounding block.

The most unfortunate thing is that there is NO competition in my area for internet, or I would have cut that as well. I currently pay $60/mo for 25mb/5mb. The next fastest competitor is $50/mo for 5mb/2mb.

Century Link is 1.5mb for $30.

Back