Comcast Internet - "Weak Signal"

So I bought a new modem (SB5101) and I call Comcast to activate it and the guy tells me I have a "weak signal." What is this all about? Have a guy coming out later in the week to check it out. Did notice my internet downstream speed is very slow.

Any ideas?

From outside you should have a 2 way 1Ghz spliter. One going to the modem and one for theTV. MAKE SURE this is before any booster. You can not have a booster linked with the modem. No splices anywhere.

RF (I believe) I worked in tech support call center for over 2 years. The wireless router will cause the modem to drop offline and likewise the modem could cause weak signal for the wireless. Some people couldn't "find" their wireless network. Moving the modem away from the router solved the problem.

Interesting. My modem sits on top of my router and I've never had any problems. Heck, I've never even heard of that problem. But if it ever does happen, at least I know to check that out now. :)

Interesting. My modem sits on top of my router and I've never had any problems. Heck, I've never even heard of that problem. But if it ever does happen, at least I know to check that out now. :)

Yeah it usually doesn't happen. Just depends on the router really, I always change the channel when I get a new wireless router. Just took too many calls regarding the issue when I worked there it was annoying.

Glad to help!

i call shens, never have seen that happened, most people keep their modems by tvs, or telephones, if there was any RF you would notice it in other devices.

probably just bs the tech support people tell users so they dont have to troubleshoot the problem.

i call shens, never have seen that happened, most people keep their modems by tvs, or telephones, if there was any RF you would notice it in other devices.

probably just bs the tech support people tell users so they dont have to troubleshoot the problem.

then how did the modem magically come online once it was moved?

could have been the wireless signal too i dont remember exactly why i just now it worked. :D

I'll have to agree with this one... Possible I guess, but sounds too fishy to me...

Cable Modem freq's are typically 5-42 MHz
.11b and .11g Wifi operates in the 2.4 GHz range.

Just a little bit apart, I suppose that in some freak environments there could be overpowering interferance from one to the other, due to manufacturing flaws (inadequate sheilding, faulty IC's etc). But, on the whole sounds like BS to me too.

Back