Comcast changed my download but not my upload???

Corbin

Limp Gawd
First of all I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section but it has to do with hosting games and I didn't really know where to put it becasue it has to do with an ISP.

Well for the last 3 months or so I've been running on a 1.5mb dl and 384k upload which made it so I can't host any games anymore or have lan parties over at my house becasue of the not enough upload speed. Now 3 months back (and a year before that) I had a 8mb download and 2mb upload which worked VERY WELL but my parents thought it was too much so they went down to the 1.5 for a while. Called comcast today and changed it to 15mb download which works great. BUT they DIDN'T change the UPLOAD. should I be calling them and demanding for a higher upload? how can I have a 15mb download with a measly 384k upload. Sorry that this was a rant type thing but what should I do? Should I call to just see what's going on because all I really care about is getting my upload back up so I can host some games...

I would. My DL is about 18-25mb (depending on traffic) and I've always had at least an upload of a thousand. If you're paying more, you should certainly get that upload up to snuff.

"or have lan parties over at my house "

uhm your cable modem will not affect your lan transferr speeds...lol u must be inexperienced at the network setup

1 router (and switch if needed) and your PCs will transfer at the max speed they can depending upon what your ports are...maybe your router does not support full duplex?

"or have lan parties over at my house "

uhm your cable modem will not affect your lan transferr speeds...lol u must be inexperienced at the network setup

1 router (and switch if needed) and your PCs will transfer at the max speed they can depending upon what your ports are...maybe your router does not support full duplex?

When I have lans we usually just get in the same game online as other people becasue not as many of my friend are pc users, so we have to find other peopel to play with. I'm aware of all that stuff. Sorry for the confusion. My router is the D-Link DGL-4300 with 1gb ports so I'm fine with network connections.

/thread hijack

Anyone know if Comcast allows residences, apartments, to use Comcast Business Cable? And if so, does the Comcast Business Cable have the same bandwidth cap? I'm butting up against the bandwidth cap in the first 3-4 days every month easy :(

/thread hijack

Anyone know if Comcast allows residences, apartments, to use Comcast Business Cable? And if so, does the Comcast Business Cable have the same bandwidth cap? I'm butting up against the bandwidth cap in the first 3-4 days every month easy :(

doesn't comcast have a 250gb cap each month???

Yes, yes they do. I got a call in February stating that I had exceeded the cap by over 3 times with downloads alone. I think my total bandwidth tally was 1.21TB according to the nice man on the phone that told me I would get my service cancelled for 1 year if I went over the 250gb cap again.

Yes, yes they do. I got a call in February stating that I had exceeded the cap by over 3 times with downloads alone. I think my total bandwidth tally was 1.21TB according to the nice man on the phone that told me I would get my service cancelled for 1 year if I went over the 250gb cap again.

If you have Verizon FIOS in the area I'd recommend switching to that immediatly.

If they told you that they'd be upgrading your upload as well as your download, yeah, call them and complain. Otherwise, maybe you should just find out what upload rate you're paying for? If you're only paying for 384, why should they give you more just because you're paying for more download?

Typically if you are upgrading to a faster package that SHOULD include upstream speed as well.

Some modems have an internal web page that will show you the speed, for Linksys modems (and some others I think) it's http://192.168.100.1
In there you should be able to find out what your rates are, I've got a basic plan with Comcast and mine are currently set at 6600kbps/1100kbps. If you haven't already, pull the power from your cable modem and leave it off for a few minutes then power it back on. Sometimes that will resolve the issue.

How, jfc

lol, in australia a 250 gig plan would cost us like $150 a month, minimum, so you cann all stfu :p. as for your problem, give them a call complain, and threaten to go elsewhere, that will be he only thing that works in aus, and even then they yusually tell you to stick it.

lol, in australia a 250 gig plan would cost us like $150 a month, minimum, so you cann all stfu :p. as for your problem, give them a call complain, and threaten to go elsewhere, that will be he only thing that works in aus, and even then they yusually tell you to stick it.

haha thx for the advice :rolleyes:

/em cries

Call in to the call center, explain the situation, they will probally give you a major run around.
This is something they can fix entirely at the call center, so there will be no tech or anything coming to your house.

What method are you using to verify that your upload is the same? Best thing to do is call a service rep and ask them what your upload is according to your package parameters and then if there is a discrepancy, express concern. First thing is to verify for sure what your up/down stream is at the moment.

With that said I very highly doubt you have 15mb/384k, sounds like you are on their fiber network.

I used speedtest (.net) to verify the upload/download speed. I am also unable to host my war3 games (which i was able to do at a higher upload speed).

HD Movie Torrents.. I'm on 2 trackers and I use to download/upload as I please, probably using 500GB per month without any trouble.

Now I stick to about 200GB in the first few days... 50GB being the buffer for the rest of the household's bandwidth... haha...

Going to Verizon FIOS as soon as I get the chance... or Business Comcast if I have to resort to that... :( No limits, and I could host web/game servers legally... :p

Have you reset your modem since the speed increase? Unplug it for a few minutes and then plug it back in. Also do a WAN DHCP release/renew through your router for good measure. What city do you live in? I have the 15mbs package in Atlanta and I upload at around 200-300k depending on the time of day.

Have you reset your modem since the speed increase? Unplug it for a few minutes and then plug it back in. Also do a WAN DHCP release/renew through your router for good measure

I haev unplugged the modem about 3 times since just to make sure. btw what is a WAN DHCP release/renew?

Oh my gosh....OH MY GOSH... taht renew thing!! it sent my dl to 20mbs and my upload to 6MBS THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol, in Totalitaria a 250 gig plan would cost us like $150 a month, minimum, so you cann all stfu :p. as for your problem, give them a call complain, and threaten to go elsewhere, that will be he only thing that works in aus, and even then they yusually tell you to stick it.

Fixed it for you.

Oh my gosh....OH MY GOSH... taht renew thing!! it sent my dl to 20mbs and my upload to 6MBS THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lucky, my Comcast gets 33.4 mbs down but only 2.56 up......which sucks when i need to upload any files that are big. Any idea how to do the WAN DHCP release/renew on an Airport Extreme?

438863103.png

:D

Yeah they do. Also they have some serious issues with WoW, if you're one of the unlucky sods that goes through certain connections, or is suspected of excessive DL'ing/torrenting. I'm not sure of the technical term, but I believe it's called throttling.

Using Comcast cable on those testing sites is a crap shoot because of that "burst" thing that they do(I forgot the marketing term for it).

Here's mine but the download is no where near this fast in reality:

Using Comcast cable on those testing sites is a crap shoot because of that "burst" thing that they do(I forgot the marketing term for it).

Here's mine but the download is no where near this fast in reality:

haha i know, which is why im hoping for comcast to release their new internet service in my area since i only get around 1.5 MB/s down

sad that there's no fios in my area :(

may be a bit faster since someone was on the computer that's connected to the same network, but overall I'm happy :D

It's called Performance Plus, but I'm beginning to think it's a load of crap. I'm on their fastest service, 16mbps, but my best SpeedTest.net:

snag.png

I did all the "power-cycling" and ipconfig/release and renew BS they suggested and nothing changed. I think I'm gonna dump Comcrap internet and try U-verse.

MetalX, we must be awfully close to each other. My ISP and Server readings are exactly as yours. ;)

Last edited:
I'm in Brookhaven, just north of Buckhead. Yeah, mine is the 16mbps Plus package. I'm using a router, but didn't think it'd have that much of an impact on my speeds. I'll try that Optimizer. Thanks!

has comcast released any way to check your monthly usuage so you dont go over 250 gigs?

Im probably getting close to it so i wanna make sure i dont get one of those warning letters

They should tell you to stick it, I'd be shocked if anyone hitting that cap does so through legal downloads. Not to mention the additional strain that puts on the infrastructure. The isp is probably more than willing to lose one customer who uses 25 times the bandwidth and pays the same price.

Currently on FiOS with the 10/10 package. Other packages available are 3/1, 20/20, and 50/50.
So those that are on comcast, you indicated the numbers are not actual? I was thinking of migrating as I can get a cheaper bundle through comcast.

Currently on FiOS with the 10/10 package. Other packages available are 3/1, 20/20, and 50/50.
So those that are on comcast, you indicated the numbers are not actual? I was thinking of migrating as I can get a cheaper bundle through comcast.

did they change their packages recently?? I have FIOS and I think I was 15 down/up

ahh when did they start doing this? :uh oh: i wish they didn't count streaming and stuff

Dude, I download a LOT but 1.21 Tb in a month...wow

Since I've got my 50Mbit fibre installed I've pulled in about 500Gb in the first month, maybe 600Gb. You should be a bit more considerate of your usage if you have a cap of 250Gb.

A lot of people dont realise it but bandwidth is like any commodity like gas/water/electrisity, theres a minimum cost per Gb of transfer and that isn't exactly cheap I bet it costs more than you're paying to provide 250gb of bandwidth, ISPs just rely on the average to be lower. But 1.21Tb...sheesh ;)

Back