Comcast breached

I have a feeling that something like the Arris sb8200 or s33 would be plenty fine if you didn't care about gigabit+ speeds and "up to 450Mbps upload speeds", depending on the quality (I know there have been some Arris devices with issues in the past but I'm not current on what's good and not) but both of those are like $150 on Amazon, instead of the $300-500 a few other models I looked up cost.

I have Comcast for cable and Internet service and I hate them. I have AT&T for mobile phone service and I hate them also. Ya just can't win around here. Verizon is available but they are so pricey.

I have a CM2000 DOCSIS 3.1 2.5gbps modem and it’s capped at 40Mbps upload.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Multi-Gig-Cable-CM2000/dp/B08GWNZ9VF?th=1

I thought I was future-proofing a bit by going DOCSIS 3.1 and 2.5 down. NOPE. Gotta go buy a CM3000 now, which, as stated, isn’t out yet.

Paid $255 for this PoS earlier this year. MF.

I have heard horrendous things about the Hitron. Some Reddit threads out there complaining about them not getting anywhere near the advertised speeds.

Lots of folks are waiting on the CM3000 units.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I switched to T-Mobile 5G Internet - should work wherever T-Mobile offers cell service. No regerts.
I had the cheapest Xfinity plan at $20/month. Those mf'ers kept raising my rates ($45) to the point that it was only $5 more expensive to get T-Mobile. I even played the quit and rejoin in my wife's name game.
T-Mobile was $50/mo and claims a "price lock guarantee."
I had decided to try out T-Mobile after they sent me a discount flyer in the mail, which coincidentally turned out to be the same time I got some mystery $80 data cap overage bill for using almost 400GB data. I use a VPN, but even doubling my usage, there is no way I am using over 1200GB of bandwidth. Comcast lies about consumption. No data caps on T-Mobile.
Top that off with multiple outages when I was WFH, one over 6 days, with no apologies from Comcast - I was so over Comcast.
Also, telephone providers are required to maintain something like 99.9% uptime - when was the last time you lost service on your mobile phone? I will likely never have to deal with outages with T-Mobile.
Of course, after I cancelled, Comcast was begging me to come back by offering me a lower price, like some drug dealer trying to get a junkie hooked on drugs again. You had your chance!
Oh and Xfinity was slower, except for a miniscule difference in response time.
Good riddance, Comcast.

I'm not big on supporting 5G, but it's already here and will keep the receiver in a totally remote area of my place.

Speedtest comparison below.

Attachments

• _Xfinity.jpg
    _Xfinity.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 1
  • _T-Mobile.jpg
    _T-Mobile.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
...These hackers may have my real last 4 and phone number, but they don't have my real name. Comcast sucks so hard that they entered my name incorrectly when I signed up for something in person (long ago) and - despite my best efforts - they were never able to correct it after the fact (ineptitude? laziness?). Comcast is so shit, they can't even lose their customer's information well :LOL:
Too funny! :D

Well, I ordered a Hitron CODA56. Gets here in a week or so. Amazon sold out fast. New daily reports of people having good experiences are starting to pour in and Amazon is selling thousands of these modems.

The price is $139 vs the $250-$300 I’ve paid for past modems. Hopefully it’s a solid modem.

Sounds like early problems were not rebooting enough times initially after hooking the new modem up for the first time to see the full U/D speeds. Users are seeing the full 200Mbit uploads now.

I switched to T-Mobile 5G Internet - should work wherever T-Mobile offers cell service. No regerts.
I had the cheapest Xfinity plan at $20/month. Those mf'ers kept raising my rates ($45) to the point that it was only $5 more expensive to get T-Mobile. I even played the quit and rejoin in my wife's name game.
I had decided to try out T-Mobile after they sent me a discount flyer in the mail, which coincidentally turned out to be the same time I got some mystery $80 data cap overage bill for using almost 400GB data. I use a VPN, but even doubling my usage, there is no way I am using over 1200GB of bandwidth. Comcast lies about consumption. No data caps on T-Mobile.
Top that off with multiple outages when I was WFH, one over 6 days, with no apologies from Comcast - I was so over Comcast.
Also, telephone providers are required to maintain something like 99.9% uptime - when was the last time you lost service on your mobile phone? I will likely never have to deal with outages with T-Mobile.
Of course, after I cancelled, Comcast was begging me to come back by offering me a lower price, like some drug dealer trying to get a junkie hooked on drugs again. You had your chance!
Good riddance, Comcast.

I'm not big on supporting 5G, but it's already here and will keep the receiver in a totally remote area of my place.

Been playing the switcheroo game and have been consistently able to get $20/month for 75 mbps service. However, it went from no requirements, to autopay required, to autopay with bank account (no CC) required.

Those T-mobile speeds has me tempted to try them out. Probably will be trying out Comcast's 800 mbps service first though, $50 a month for 2 year contract in my area. Downside is no unlimited data.

Well, I ordered a Hitron CODA56. Gets here in a week or so. Amazon sold out fast. New daily reports of people having good experiences are starting to pour in and Amazon is selling thousands of these modems.

The price is $139 vs the $250-$300 I’ve paid for past modems. Hopefully it’s a solid modem.

Sounds like early problems were not rebooting enough times initially after hooking the new modem up for the first time to see the full U/D speeds. Users are seeing the full 200Mbit uploads now.
Went with the regular CODA here, can't justify the higher speeds with only a 1.2TB monthly cap still. So far no issues at all with it, haven't rebooted it once since installing/registering (~month of uptime now).

75mpbs up/down which tests at around 80-90 up/down. Hate the company, but the upload speeds are a game changer with multiple/simultaneous plex streams.

Good riddance, Comcast.

We switched from Century Link ($55 a month for 40mbps that they couldn't even reliably deliver) to Xfinity a year ago and for $10 more got 800mbps down which regularly speed tests closer to 930-950mbps. We've had maybe 2 outages in that time and both times Xfinity texted me to tell me of the outage, and an estimate of when they would fix it, which was usually back up well before then. Other than that, the speed has been pretty reliable too which was not my experience with Comcast in the mid-2000's.

We've honestly been much happier with the service than the crap we were getting from CenturyLink which dropped all the time and you'd never know when it was coming back up.

Verizon keeps trying to sell me 5G home internet. I don't think the 5G in my area is the most reliable so I didn't entertain it, but I may look at that more in depth in the future.

I know our current Xfinity rate was their 2 year BS before they jack the rates up, so we'll see once that time comes I suppose.

Got the new Hitron CODA56 fired up tonight (damn it’s an ugly modem) and getting the full 1.2Gbit down / 200Mbit up with it.
My life is transformed with an extra 160Mbit upload. Not really - can’t tell a difference yet, as I’m not doing anything uploady yet.

Got the new Hitron CODA56 fired up tonight (damn it’s an ugly modem) and getting the full 1.2Gbit down / 200Mbit up with it.
My life is transformed with an extra 160Mbit upload. Not really - can’t tell a difference yet, as I’m not doing anything uploady yet.
Ahhh, so that's what they were talking about in the email the sent me, not bad. For me it says 5-10x faster, which for my current upload would be 50-100Mbbps. That said I'm a bit cheesed there isn't a upgrade the bios solution for my modem to unlock upload speeds, that said I care fuckall about upload speeds so no way I'm paying for a hardware upgrade.

Ahhh, so that's what they were talking about in the email the sent me, not bad. For me it says 5-10x faster, which for my current upload would be 50-100Mbbps. That said I'm a bit cheesed there isn't a upgrade the bios solution for my modem to unlock upload speeds, that said I care fuckall about upload speeds so no way I'm paying for a hardware upgrade.
After days of use, I really notice nothing. I know my upload workloads are pretty much non-existent right now, but I thought I might notice a tiny difference.
I notice nothing. Save your money.

The only thing that’s probably been improved is Microsoft sucking telemetry faster, lol.

I notice nothing. Save your money.
As someone that actually saturates their upload bandwidth frequently, the modem "upgrade" was more than worth the 90 bucks. If you don't need more than 10-20mbps of upload, then obviously it's a waste of money.

I used to live in Atlanta. Zero fiber for me. It was all Comcrap.

Then I moved into middle of no where GA, farms galore. Closest city to me is nearly 40 miles.

I have 1gig symmetrical fiber and soon maybe 10G over same fiber.

Back