College Degree Question...

Ur_Mom

Fully [H]
Just a quick question.

I have two options. I can go for the BS in Computer Science with Programming or Network Security...

I love programming, and I love networking. But, here's my question: If I get my degree in programming and decide to work in networking, would the BS in CS w/ programming plus experience and several certifications be sufficient? Or would it look bad that I am a programmer gone AWOL?

I am going to get a certificate of completion in Computer Security and the degree in programming. 80% sure of it. But, I am good at networking and enjoy it.

I just don't want to lock myself into a niche programming position and have all my networking skills go to waste.

It doesn't really matter what you degree is in per se, it's what you know that defines you after you graduate. In your position since you already have decent networking skills I'd continue to study that on the side (part time job perhaps?) while broadening my programming knowledge through my actual degree. Then you can choose jobs in either specialty upon graduation. How different are the course tracks? You could always toss a few networking courses into the mix if they satisfy your degree requirements for the Programming BS.

You say you like them both.
But which one do you like more?
I agree that furthering your studies in programming would probably be more beneficial to you in the long run, since programming cannot be learned as easily without coursework, but it is entirely possible to self-study a Cisco networking CCNA.

You say you like them both.
But which one do you like more?
I agree that furthering your studies in programming would probably be more beneficial to you in the long run, since programming cannot be learned as easily without coursework, but it is entirely possible to self-study a Cisco networking CCNA.

QFT

My BS is in programming, but I do networking. I picked up on the networking stuff pretty easily and the background in programming really does come in handy.

That said, try to determine which course would most benefit what you want out of your career. Only you can answer that.

Well, that helps a little. I am working towards my CCNA (get it in Feb! That's my goal and I WILL pass!).

So, a programming degree with networking classes and certs could swing both ways post-graduation, right? That's gonna be cool. :) I'm just getting my last few semesters out of the way before University and want to plan accordingly.

Of course, I kinda wonder about the Applied Science Degree. Most specialized classes and less arts and humanities, but looked at as inferior in the job market. Why? I'm learning more of the on the job skills, aren't I?

CS isn't all about programming. Much of the theory will build and change your mind forever. Although I wasn't CS, I'm a computer engineer. It was pretty similar since my electives were all CS classes. I ended up taking a data communications class and a network security class in my senior year.

It's not to take away from the network degrees, but even working as a network engineer now, I don't regret majoring in CS/CE. I found subnetting to be an absolute joke due to my understanding of binary. Also, almost all of the network engineers I work with are either CS or EE. I just view a network degree as something too specific. With a CS/CE degree, if you ever get bored or the network field dries up (unlikely but possible), then you can go into a different concentration pretty easily.

Again, this is strictly my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt since I'm pretty much fresh out of college. Good luck!

Put it this way: Few schools have a focus on that CS is about. I went to WPI and we just had to take a certain amount of classes at each level, and they could have been about pretty much anything CS (and a few of them were joint classes with the ECE dept.) had to offer.

Put it this way: Few schools have a focus on that CS is about. I went to WPI and we just had to take a certain amount of classes at each level, and they could have been about pretty much anything CS (and a few of them were joint classes with the ECE dept.) had to offer.

Exactly, undergrad should be broad with a little specialization, and grad school is for people who want to be highly educated in a specific area.

Nice to see another WPI grad around here :cool:

Get both, most colleges will allow you to go in with dual majors.

Get both, most colleges will allow you to go in with dual majors.

good lord that would be killer...

I personally think it would be more fun to go network security. Programming while fun, will land you jobs updating code and writing patches for the most part for software that might not be "that fun" to work on. That would bore the living crap out of me and I've read a lot here that most programmers don't even want to get near a PC after work but that might be with all tech jobs. I myself am an intern at a bank security and services company doing email and blackberry support and I am graduating this semester with a BS in Telecommunications Systems Management.

I'd say go networking and never look back. To me there are more job possibilities. That and I like the idea that everything has to go through me :p. I think its funny when I talk to CS majors and they don't have the slightest clue how networks actually work ;). Plus I know most colleges want people in network degrees to have some programming knowledge. I myself had to take VB which was a pain because I took it over the summer in 1 month but I managed to get an A :).

In this industry, I've found that the type of degree is virtually meaningless. You just need to have one for certain positions as a degree is often a requirement for those positions.

In this industry, I've found that the type of degree is virtually meaningless. You just need to have one for certain positions as a degree is often a requirement for those positions.

Yeah I've noticed that as I've been applying at places. They list requirements as IT degree or something of relevance to department and stuff like that.

It seems a lot of jobs are either are you a network guy or a programmer?

good lord that would be killer...

It's not that bad :)

This is true. A lot of folks whom I worked with in the past had arts degrees and liberal degrees, simply so that they can meet the bachelors requirements. Some even have gone to the extend of creating "experience" degrees or India based degrees to cut down on time.

Having a good understanding with programming languages can really help when it comes to network security. I don't know what you know about penetration testing, but scripting is huge.

Having a strong understanding of both programming and networking wont do you wrong. Like yourself I love programming. But networking, what I'm doing atm while working toward a bachelors in CS, feels much more mobile and allows me to get a lot of exercise. lol.. :D

Personally, I think you should go for the CS degree. There will be a point where it helps you surpass your peers who went the CCNA bootcamp route. You may not see it during your first year on the job, but it will make sense eventually. Everyone starts out as a GUI navigator but as the layers are quickly pulled back, you'll see how it all fits together. Everything ends up coming back to the underlying code, and as someone who understands it, you will be much better off.

GL :)

Personally I just graduated a few years ago and the thing that helped me get ahead was getting a broad degree and keeping technology a passion. On the job training will most likely overwrite much of what you learn in the classroom.

Back