College and speakers

FRAGMAN BOB

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
292
Moving into a house with a couple guys. Wanted to look around for a pair of floorstanders to use with my H&K 3380 for movies and music for some lil parties. Wanted to stay around 200 to 250 for the pair? Hoping to not have to use a sub with them (not a big deal I have a polk 10", just another thing to move up there tho).

Also any good bargain websites to search for home audio, been looking at audioadvisor.com (but kinda pricey)
 
I am pretty fond of vanns.com. They have some good deals from time to time.
 
Ehhh... $200-$250 for good floor speakers? It's hard enough just to get good bookshelves at $200-$250 but you want floor speakers?
 
I guess... Depends on your definition of good or fun, I suppose...

You could always go with the Polk R50 that everyone seems to be selling for cheap.
 
What kind of parties exactly? I would not be spending $250 if they're going to get trashed. Fry's has the R50s for like $50 each and that would be my choice.
 
Wait, you're looking at floorspeakers but worried that a sub would be inconvenient to move? I don't get it.
 
haha thanks for the replies..
As far as parties go, not gonna be a frat house by any means. Just simply something to play music if 15-20 people come over for a bbq or w.e.

about moving the sub, its more of a setup and having to worry about people messing with it issue. Plus I think just two floorstanding will be a little less of an eyesore without a sub chilling in the corner.
 
i have two 12 cvr's in a focus hatchback thank you very much ;) I know this price range doesnt buy much sound, I appreciate the help though.

I know that cabinet design delivers much of the sound, rather than purely speaker size. But how would those polks 5.25 inch drivers compare to the fullness of some floorstanders with 8's or 10's or even 15's(BIC RTR-1530 posted up some)?
 
But how would those polks 5.25 inch drivers compare to the fullness of some floorstanders with 8's or 10's or even 15's(BIC RTR-1530 posted up some)?

Sound better (not due to the size, but just that those others use crap components) and get reasonably loud if you're not slamming tons of bass out of them.

Another option: perhaps consider building these http://zaphaudio.com/BAMTM.html
 
Back
Top