Cold Boot Freezing?

tissimo

Limp Gawd
For some reason my system freezes on a cold boot. Usually just hitting the reset button it'll boot normal after selecting it to do so. On a hot reboot it doesn't freeze, plus it seems to vary with temperature. When its colder ambient temp it'll freeze again on the next reboot. The colder it gets the longer it takes to fully boot (more freezes). When its warmer some times it wont even freeze. After it finally boots I don't have any issues. Its fine with reboots, or playing games for hours and hours.

Thoughts?

Where do you live? Alaska? :D

Anyway, could be weird BIOs issue?

Florida, lol. Cold is ~60 ambient, warm is 75...

It could be bios, but I've reset it before and still the same. I originally thought it was my windows install but after upgrading to the ssd and a clean install it was still doing it. Its been doing it over a year.

At what part of the boot process does it freeze? At the Windows loading screen, or before it gets there?

How does it freeze? Just hard lockup and you can hit the reset button, you don't have to hold the power button, or can you hit ctrl+alt+del?

I hate cold boot issues.....on one motherboard, an older Abit, it was a bad circuit/part near the cpu, that if it was cold, it would not boot on the first try. On another motherboard, it was a a bios/overclock issue....I hope it's not hardware for you.

At what part of the boot process does it freeze? At the Windows loading screen, or before it gets there?

How does it freeze? Just hard lockup and you can hit the reset button, you don't have to hold the power button, or can you hit ctrl+alt+del?

Its random, sometimes loading the desktop, sometimes the loading screen, sometimes the welcome screen, sometimes even after everything is loaded. I just hit the reset.

I hate cold boot issues.....on one motherboard, an older Abit, it was a bad circuit/part near the cpu, that if it was cold, it would not boot on the first try. On another motherboard, it was a a bios/overclock issue....I hope it's not hardware for you.

Remembering back, its probably hardware. I thought it was the old windows install because I got the Asus board and it started happening around then (never reinstalled windows), the previous Abit board never had a problem. I've had the board over a year now, and it hasn't gotten any worse.

Back