Coffee Lake-S and Cascade Lake-X Processor Road Map

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
It looks like the 300 series chipset will be getting a few new i5 CPU SKUs in early Q1'18 according to this slide that was presented on-stage at the GALAXY GEC 2017 Gaming Event. That all said, we are finally seeing stock coming into wider availability on the Coffee Lake variants including the 8600K and 8700K parts (save big money at Amazon if you can wait a few days). The 8600K has shown to be a true 5GHz overclocker. Cascade Lake-X shows on the map to be coming to HEDT in Q4'18. Thanks Blah Blah!

Check out the pic.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
More interestingly, Icelake doesn't appear on this roadmap. 10nm pushed to 2019?

My local Microcenter had a pile of 8700K's and 8600K's last weekend. Both were at the "real" retail price, too. The 87's are gone, but they still have some 86's a week later.

Meh, I am more interested in AMD's roadmap, specifically ZEN2.

Reactions: _l_
like this
The 87's are gone, but they still have some 86's a week later.

Gamer Nexus basically shows that a 86K @ 5 is, at best, equal to a 87K. Turbos on a 87 non-K are practically as aggressive as a 87K. Why would you want such a gimped chip? Aside from the obvious cost cutting, the OC argument basically holds no water.

Gamer Nexus basically shows that a 86K @ 5 is, at best, equal to a 87K. Turbos on a 87 non-K are practically as aggressive as a 87K. Why would you want such a gimped chip? Aside from the obvious cost cutting, the OC argument basically holds no water.
Overclocking the Intel 8600K - Delidded on Air and Water
We've gotten to spend some quality time with our Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake CPU, and of course we have spent our time finding out just how far we could push the processor's clock under both Air Cooling and Water Cooling. We relid and delid as well. The results look to be very promising for the overclocking enthusiast and gamer.

I always thought the HEDT segment are based on previous architecture such as Haswell-E, Broadwell-E, and Skylake-X

Can't say I've heard of Cascade Lake. A different approach to HEDT platform?

Will the new CL-S and 300 series chipsets be compatible with the old CL-S and Z370?
;)

I always thought the HEDT segment are based on previous architecture such as Haswell-E, Broadwell-E, and Skylake-X

Can't say I've heard of Cascade Lake. A different approach to HEDT platform?
Cascade Lake is the codename of the Skylake-SP refresh for the Xeon segment. I won't be surprised if the HEDT segment will be called Coffee Lake-X the closer it gets to release.

Good to see a release date on the HEDT refresh. My Skylake-X upgrade was cancelled this year due to the unexpected replacement of my car's transmission, but if I have no other surprises in 2018, I'll finally get a new monster.

Good to see a release date on the HEDT refresh. My Skylake-X upgrade was cancelled this year due to the unexpected replacement of my car's transmission, but if I have no other surprises in 2018, I'll finally get a new monster.

Similar position, but changed vehicles instead. The HEDT Skylake refresh shows just how many chip names behind HEDT will be from the expected most current re-branding of Intel's 6 core mainstream chip. However, unless there is something truly inspiring about Intel's Q4 2018 lineup, my next build is likely to be Zen2 and Volta.

Certainly the OC is very impressive, but those gains come at a pretty steep cost. And while I can see this as being an interesting side project for a OCer, I don't see the value of this to a gamer unless you're in the niche that requires 100% pure single threaded clock speed.

Even if you slightly edge out of a 8700/K, your thermals and power consumption just tanked. The pricing difference between the two shrinks as you have may have to throw on a more powerful solution.
5GHz on air...on stock TIM...nothing to see here.

And still no 8c desktop parts in sight. This makes me a sad little monkey.

I set my 8700K to 4.8GHz and it sits around 33C most of the time. I could probably pull 5.0, but I haven't bothered. I have my fans configured not to kick in much until it goes over 50C, so it's borderline silent most of the time. It's not like you have to keep your fans cranked all the time. Getting the amount of CPU usage necessary for my fans to spin up over 1500RPM is very situational, too.

Which is damned impressive.

But even your own chart shows the CPU @ 88C @5.1, with 1650RPM fans, on an open bench.

Those fans are likely too loud for my liking, and that's still an incredible amount of heat being exhausted into the room.
You are obviously in the wrong forum.

Any news on the CL refresh requiring a new motherboard? I see the pic says 300 series, hopefully the z370 works for it

That graphic implies Canon Lake is being pushed back to 2019, so it could be 2020 for Ice Lake

Gaak. I want to build a machine here in 6 to 8 months. Doggone it.

I only do this every 5 years. I really wanted an 8 core 9700k

Back