Codename : Community Ghetto Cool Project!

Kern said:
. And hey, if it gets hot, I'll just drop and ice cube in there!

Drop a few cubes and some gin and ur cooking!

looking good so far and u cant beat the price. Keep up the good work, and the pics.

Kern said:
Thanks! I had the idea in my head and worked out and zer0signal showed me one he had like it. I think it will work out real slick and should be easy to fill. I'm going to cut a hole in the top of the case and put the top of it out, so filling and bleeding shouldn't be a problem. And hey, if it gets hot, I'll just drop and ice cube in there! Convenient! Or... condensation... oh well!

You shouldn't have any condensation issues from dropping a single ice cube into the water, I tried it with mine and it simply melts before the temps are really effected.

killernoodle said:
Here is a tip: dont get a used radiator.... worst idea ever. '77 bonneville HC should suit you nicely.

Geez, with the size of that case, he could practically use a real car radiator, not just the heater core! :D

steve

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates! I had to register for classes for the next semester... and money tends to leave the ol' wallet pretty quick after that. Anyway, I'll post pictures tomorrow or so, but I did a little work today and ordered some fans, so hopefully my rad will be setup and such soon. I'd got a lot of stuff in place now (res is awesome), so hopefully you guys will like it. Next I need to order my water block (looking at the MCW6002) and then a pump. Hopefully all works out, and I've got money now! w00t!

Be sure to inform us on what color of paint you're gonna use. I bet you could pick up some cheap paint from the local Wals-Mart :)
I just went there the other night and they've got clear coat too for like 97 cents. Pick up a couple cans of that and it'll look nice and shinny; probly do a good job preventing scratches too.
Can't wait to see those pics!

Rads said:
I just went there the other night and they've got clear coat too for like 97 cents.

That's... that's... astounding! I just did that yesterday! Holy cow, it was like you knew was I was doing... like you could see me do it!

Anyway, I'll jack my friend's digital camera tomorrow and take some pictures. Also...

I was shopping around on the FS/FT forum and I found a Mag3 pump for 40 bucks w/ shipping, so I'm probably going to grab that. He also had a D-Tek TC-4 s468 for 15 bucks that looks damn appealing, especially to someone of low money quality such as myself. I'll keep you guys posted.

and Rads... I'm $-Old Money-$ , bitch!

Alrighty folks, picture time!

I gave the chassis a good first coat, still need to do another and then clear coat the hell out of it:

6.jpg

and another view:

7.jpg

Here is a view of a my mock set up rad and res (will be painted):

8.jpg

and finally, I was cruisin' Wal-Nut and found this little beauty. It works!

9.jpg

More to come soon! I just bought a Mag3 pump off a guy from the forums, so that should be here soon. I should also have my water block purchased in a few days, and then it's cutting time! Actually, I've already hacked up the inside of the case (as you can see).

Until next update!

Kern

I'm pretty impressed with the toggle switch. It works just like a regular computer switch; flip it on then off to turn the computer on, and flip it on again for 5 seconds to hard kill the computer. Sure is a dandy ;)

Kern said:
More to come soon! I just bought a Mag3 pump off a guy from the forums, so that should be here soon. I should also have my water block purchased in a few days, and then it's cutting time! Actually, I've already hacked up the inside of the case (as you can see).

Until next update!

Kern

I have that same heatercore. You going to do 2 or 4 fans? I originally had a plastic shroud on mine with 2 120 high flow fans (pushing in), but I opted to redo the shroud (not a whole lot of air could be felt through the core) with 4 120fans and a double shroud (2 push, 2 pull). It's like a wind tunnel now (even with only the two in-fans running, it's enough wind to cause the other fans to spin without power). Oh, and keeping with the cheap-ghetto feel, I made my shroud out of double-thick cardboard. Booyah, cost = $0!

Spidey329 said:
I made my shroud out of double-thick cardboard. Booyah, cost = $0!

Haha, I did the same thing when I chopped up one of my NV5's for fun and made a custom shroud for it for use with my SmartFan II.....good fun. :D

cornelious0_0 said:
Haha, I did the same thing when I chopped up one of my NV5's for fun and made a custom shroud for it for use with my SmartFan II.....good fun. :D

Well, you know, I'm already down that path. The box the heatercore came in... yup, being modded ;)

Be sure to let us know when you get your water blocks in! I bet it'll be some time getting everything setup and checking for leaks with a 350 GPH pump. Also, let us know of some temps and overclocks as soon as you get her finished; we might have to try some gaming action :D
Pics of the final product would be cool tool.

Bah, I hope this project doesn't die :( I've been looking foward to it's build and conclusion, seeing as how my next build I might get enough courage to water cool :)

tsuehpsyde said:
Bah, I hope this project doesn't die :( I've been looking foward to it's build and conclusion, seeing as how my next build I might get enough courage to water cool :)

I'd also like to see this thing followed through to conclusion.....just because there aren't NEARLY enough people around here anymore that have the balls to do a custom built, ghetto watercooling setup.

Good ol' BUMP to bring this thread back from the dead!!

Hurry up and finish!!

We want closure!

Kern, you out there man? Yet another interested reader awaiting an update on this awesome case... :D

Kern, if you don't give the rest of the crew the results on how things went and how they are going, I'm gonna have to walk over there and check if you are still alive...
I'll lend my camera so you can take some more pics for us :)

Oh, my heart warms that you guys care so much!

Alrighty, I'll cook up another update in a bit. Rads will bring his camera over and I'll use him like the hoe he is, then I'll post pics. I've had some issues with some of the actual computer parts, so progress has been slow, but I'll keep you updated!

And just so you all know, total was pretty much under 100 dollars!

nice. though it looks like it from the pictures, that '77 bonneville radiator can fit 2x120mm fans easily, right?

Been looking through this thread, and a bunch of other links for a while, and I think I want to make my own ghetto project to cool an old XP 1600+ (damn not 1700 :(). I looked through a bunch of links, and these are the ideas Im thinking of ATM (sorry to threadcrap):
http://www.overclockers.com/tips980/ - waterblock
http://www.virtual-hideout.net/guides/pvc_reservoir/index.shtml - reservoir, maybe something else
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB...|~PONTIAC|~BONNEVILLE|~1977|~LLT|~3.85|~EA|~B
Or, maybe this to be really ghetto http://www.overclockers.com/tips128/
Some pump, maybe a good aquarium pump, hopefully pretty cheap
Should be around $60, maybe less, maybe more, depending on the pump, since I already have all of the tools I need.

Ideas?

BTW, great job kern, finish it, and tell us how well it works!

I too have been looking at this thread and others. ikellensbro, you are a genius! I am seriously considering that pop can soda block. I will be sure and post pics of it. May take a couple days to get all the stuff. It will fit in great with my ghetto w/c project. I'm getting everything I need for about $100. I think the pop can block will go nicely with my 6800 gt stock heatsink into waterblock mod. Good ideas from this thread too....where did kern go?

hmm... that case looks interesting. if only i had a dremel... and a few 120mm fans... and a shielded pump... i'd get one and finally do something with my WC. which currently isn't in use:(

i wish i had some more tools at my disposal...

how'd your case turn out?

Back