Code Vein- new Bandai Namco action/RPG

that's actually one of the reasons I'm not interested in this...low difficulty, below average graphics, level design is not anything special...I'm a hard core Souls fan so I'm very picky as far as Souls-like copycat games...Lords of the Fallen did the best job of imitating the Souls genre

Yeah the 1st Boss is a joke but I didn't want Sekiro going into this game.

I didn't say the game was easy, there's a lot of mobs that come out of nowhere compared to DS3, but if I die I'm not digging through saves or breaking a controller.

there is a stupid bug in the game, where it seems that if you gain too many levels you lose the ability to level up gifts in the blood codes. You level up gifts so you can freely mix and match them.
They gain XP based on kills. Not sure if the break point is level 80 or 100.... They can be leveled up by joining other games but... that can also be frustrating.

UIseful tip: There is a gift that tells you the number of items nearby. It has a fairly large range. It includes vestiges. You will want to be using this when clearing areas.

for those that have played both- how does this compare to Surge 2?...which is the better game?

To analyze the formula it comes down to a bonfire replacing the reload mechanic. Along with that bonfire you have a certain amount of health charges and the fear of "losing" souls/scrap/currency. With that mechanic the enemies can be made harder, much harder, and even more for bosses. Voila, souls-like.

The surge 2 is more towards that formula, although it is mostly melee. You do have infinite healing though. Killing enemies gives energy which can charge a healing module. If you played the first then the second is similar, although it fixes a lot of the complaints from the first.

Code vein is something completely different. Sure it is a bizarre japanese vampire anime story, but really who gives a shit about the story in any game. The question to ask is if it has an enjoyable gameplay loop. And for that I'd have to say yes. I played a few hours of the surge 2 and a few hours of code vein, and code vein struck me more so I'll complete it first. That is not to say it is better, but more that it is different. You should probably get them both.

The mechanics of the surge remain the same, you have like a core which has capacity that can be upgraded. And 6 armor slots, also upgradeable, and chip slots, chips which can be upgraded. The loop here involves finding weapons, scraps and upgrade materials. Some hate grind, I enjoy it.

Code vein, you find remnants, which are memories with abilities from other people. these serve as a class. You have to unlock abilities within the class and then use the class until you unlock the abilities for use in any class. Leveling up increases base stats. the blood code scales the base stats for gifts/magic. Veils(armor) also scale for gifts. Weapons scale based on the class. So it is a bit hard to figure out how it works together.

The loop here is to complete the story areas which lets you get blood codes, then find remants which allows you to unlock the codes, then use the codes by killing enemies. I find it enjoyable, but then I like that type of grind loop.

Can't wait to play this on my 24" Samsung CRG5 144hz VA panel next week I tried it a bit but I had the black equalizer turned up too high so the game looks a little dark.

in NG+0.... this game lets you replay same difficulty or enhanced difficulty. There are 4 endings, if you care, but also 4 different blood codes depending on how you play, so it takes NG to get the other 4.
Overall I like what they did with the game. It shows a lot of thoughtful touches, like climbing down a ladder makes you pause a second before you can move - which in some games the "down" action would leave you to fall off a ledge. Also... auto combat moves have never thrown me off an edge. That pretty frequently happens in other games, but when you fall off here it is going to be your fault.

in NG+0.... this game lets you replay same difficulty or enhanced difficulty. There are 4 endings, if you care, but also 4 different blood codes depending on how you play, so it takes NG to get the other 4.
Overall I like what they did with the game. It shows a lot of thoughtful touches, like climbing down a ladder makes you pause a second before you can move - which in some games the "down" action would leave you to fall off a ledge. Also... auto combat moves have never thrown me off an edge. That pretty frequently happens in other games, but when you fall off here it is going to be your fault.

Yes and no, I've been knocked off a ledge while "guarding" was pretty funny, but annoying none the least.

Code Vein comparison video I made using my Samsung VA 1080P CRGR panel on the left Dell 1440P TN on the right.
The biggest difference is the yellow film on the TN not sure how much it shows on the video. Mind the Rush Limbaugh in the background lol.

Code Vein comparison video I made using my Samsung VA 1080P CRGR panel on the left Dell 1440P TN on the right.
The biggest difference is the yellow film on the TN not sure how much it shows on the video. Mind the Rush Limbaugh in the background lol.

Is your Dell calibrated? The week of fucking around with mine when I got it paid off, I mean I can't get it perfect, or it shows pixelation in the blacks, but its pretty decent.

Is your Dell calibrated? The week of fucking around with mine when I got it paid off, I mean I can't get it perfect, or it shows pixelation in the blacks, but its pretty decent.
Ja, contrast difference is to be expected, but the color on both seems off. The Samsung looks too cool while the Dell looks too warm.

FYI if the Dell is the S2417DG you'll have to manually edit the color channels to get it right, as none of the presets get even close to 6500K. You'll have to turn down Green the most.

Last edited:
looking at your other videos you sound more mature and intelligent then your posts would indicate lol

Many people approach forum posts in the same way that they approach text messaging -- many also access forums from mobile devices, and I'd assume that there's some overlap there too.

But then you add in individuals that are technically competent but learned English as a second language or were not afforded the opportunity to properly learn English as a first language, and one can more or less reduce judgements to technical communication ability as much as possible :).

Made it out of the Cathedral, man that lost invasion fucking wrecked my shit, I had to go Atlas on that....

Me as a recruit...

upload_2019-10-18_17-55-39.png

This game's reviews went to Overwhelming Positive on Steam I haven't gave this game a good try I got to the main hub and quit about 2-3 hours in.

This game's reviews went to Overwhelming Positive on Steam I haven't gave this game a good try I got to the main hub and quit about 2-3 hours in.

I haven't heard anything negative about it really. I'm not really in the mood for anything remotely soulsish right now, but I'm still tempted to grab this one for some reason. :D

If I see it on sale I'll probably snag it sometime this month. I really enjoyed Jedi Fallen Order, which is like Sekiro set in a galaxy far, far away.

20200319043526_1.jpg
20200319052226_1.jpg

I haven't played this game in months I quit at the hub because you had to talk to some NPC to get the next area. This has to be one of the best looking games I own I even like it better than some Dark Souls games. It's been pretty easy so far died only a few times still trying to figure out the controls I didn't know what the finishing move thing was for at first. Looks awesome on my 24" Samsung CRG5 VA monitor.

Last edited:
20200319081433_3.jpg
20200319084153_1.jpg

Boss Battle took me about 6-7 tries upgraded my equipment after the 2nd try wans't doing much damage without the upgrade.

20200319091129_1.jpg

They added a bathrobe for a costume =)

Back