Code Keyboard -- new favorite keyboard

Omerta

[H]ard|Gawd
I bought the tenkeyless version of the code keyboard. It has everything I need. Ability to switch between windows & mac mode. Media keys. And the design beats every other keyboard out there. All black + white backlighting -- backlighting is perfect.

They only have the MX greens at the moment, and not the MX Clears. Took me a few days to adjust to the Greens, but I've grown to really like it. I would not recommend the MX Greens for gaming, tough. Too much force needed to press for gaming.

I've had quite a few mechanical keyboards:
Razer Blackwidow ultimate
Deck Keyboard
Two Corsair k70s

This is my favorite. Second would be the k70s, but they're kind of gaudy looking compared to the Code. If I gamed, I'd still be using the k70s due to the MX Reds.

For anyone interested: http://codekeyboards.com/

I bought the tenkeyless version of the code keyboard. It has everything I need. Ability to switch between windows & mac mode. Media keys. And the design beats every other keyboard out there. All black + white backlighting -- backlighting is perfect.

They only have the MX greens at the moment, and not the MX Clears. Took me a few days to adjust to the Greens, but I've grown to really like it. I would not recommend the MX Greens for gaming, tough. Too much force needed to press for gaming.

Deck Keyboard
Two Corsair k70s

This is my favorite. Second would be the k70s, but they're kind of gaudy looking compared to the Code. If I gamed, I'd still be using the k70s due to the MX Reds.

Only if you have sissy hands :p

I've gone through a number of different mechanical keyboard brands and models (including a Cooler Master Quickfire Stealth with MX Greens), but never tried WASD. I've heard overall good things about WASD though and would recommend their keyboards.

thanks for the tip, if they make with reds it will be an instant buy. i'll keep an eye out on them.

Deck Keyboard
Two Corsair k70s

Thanks for posting. I never heard of this keyboard until now. I checked out the website and it appears to be a very well built mechanical keyboard. If only Logitech built their keyboards this well.

I just got my Code Keyboard last week...and I'm in love with it too. I was worried at first that the greens would require too much force for me to type comfortably; but they're lovely to use and much quieter than the blues in my old keyboard.

The build quality is excellent (which is what I would expect when spending $165 + shipping on a keyboard) and it feels very similar to an IBM Model M keyboard.

Probably my favorite keyboard out of a total of the four mechanical keyboards I own.

I use the Blackwidow ultimate for typing at work and I very much enjoy it. I've always wanting to try the greens though! I think the extra force for each keystroke with the greens would be fantastic for typing!

edit: Just read that you need to use the PS2 adapter for NKRO on teh code keyboard, on other keyboards it works fine using USB... Kind of pricey for not having this feature IMO!

Doesn't work right with USB period (edit: at least not with the standard USB keyboard interface/drivers, I guess it could be possible with custom drivers maybe). Some present themselves as multiple keyboards to "Split the load" to try and handle it. It's a stupid hack. Always use PS2.

Last edited:
Doesn't work right with USB period. Some present themselves as multiple keyboards to "Split the load" to try and handle it. It's a stupid hack. Always use PS2.

Seems to work fine on my Blackbird, I have run it through the tests. Not sure if it's using the hack or not but it works. Wound't using PS2 not provide enough power for the backlighting or USB hub?

Seems to work fine on my Blackbird, I have run it through the tests. Not sure if it's using the hack or not but it works. Wound't using PS2 not provide enough power for the backlighting or USB hub?

Probably, unless it allows you to hook both up or something.

But hey, you either get the better connection or more features, I guess. I chose the former myself.

Perhaps custom USB drivers for it could fix the issue; of that I'm not sure...

Probably, unless it allows you to hook both up or something.

But hey, you either get the better connection or more features, I guess. I chose the former myself.

Perhaps custom USB drivers for it could fix the issue; of that I'm not sure...

I do have some driver issues I found a work around for, but it only seems to affect my Asus Z87, but on all other computers the keyboard works perfect and NKRO works flawless on all so far even with USB. It's crazy how responsive the thing is, maybe because of the 1000htz polling? I should have bought mechanical years ago. Those greens or clears sound like they may be better for me at work than browns though.

While I don't have that, I do have the aforementioned CM Storm Quickfire Stealth with Greens and adore it. Seriously, I loved the Blue switches I had used prior but Greens are just a blast to type with. And, while I agree gaming is what Greens are least-best at, they're hardly unusable. In fact, I do it all the time with mine. And, while I would be curious to try out Clears, I just have an affinity to clicky keyboards and would end up back with Greens again I think. Still, nice to see a decent backlit option for both switches, albeit a pricier option.

Which one they have like 3 version with the 10 key
All three are pretty horrible looking.

This is the least-awful of the three. Still wouldn't buy it, though. Looks incredibly cheap (especially when you look at the pass-through ports): http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-nighthawk-x8-blue-backlit-mechanical-keyboard.html

This one is, decidedly, even worse-looking. It has a faux bushed look and a weird shiny tumor in the top-corner. Also appears to have a cheese-grater for a wrist-rest: http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-tesoro-durandal-g1nl-blue-backlit-mechanical-keyboard.html

And this one... I don't know wtf they were thinking. Visible bolts, and the tumor has turned purple!: http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-tesoro-colada-g3nl-aluminum-backlit-mechanical-keyboard.html

Last edited:
The first and second keyboard have pretty good reviews though. I was thinking about getting the second one without the backlighting myself for $80

Hello, how do you find these MX green switches? They seems to be getting popular and easier to find. I was thinking to try them before I make my decision though. Some people say they feel like the IBM M keyboard on touch force. They are 90g right?

Back