COD4 Smoke lags my GTX

spaceman

[H]F Junkie
What can we do about the smoke lag on COD4? Cod2 had the same issue. I have a single GTX at Ultra speed and my teammate has GTS SLI. We both take MASSIVE frame hits in smoke. No setting I have tried so far has helped. Is there a config tweak I can try or are we just smoked?

Btw both systems are C2D @ 3+ghz

I go from 150 fps to 30-40 which is nuts.

Thats weird. I'm running on a single 8800gts and I never noticed any slowdown. which map? and is it multi or single player?

I should add though that i dont play with my fps displayed and that its possible I just didnt notice the frame rate drop.

try disabling the setting that says soften smoke edges. and turn off antialising if you have it on.

i have an 8800 ultra and experience the same thing every once and awhile. the smoke seems to drop my FPS pretty drastically - but still playbale

im playing at 1920x1200 max settings

I would say something is not right with your system, driver, setting, something... I run COD4 on a 640 MB GTS @ 1680 x1050 with everything and I mean everything maxed and it runs smooth as silk. :D

1920x1200 no aa 4x af no settings turned on besides ragdoll, bullet impacts. Maybe I should try high performance mode and low textures but damn the game looks crappy like that and I get a bit of eyestrain with the blurry textures. Maybe another GTX when they drop below $300 used lol.

Silly question, are your drivers all up to date ? Drivers have a HUGE impact on how your system runs.

I would say something is not right with your system, driver, setting, something... I run COD4 on a 640 MB GTS @ 1680 x1050 with everything and I mean everything maxed and it runs smooth as silk. :D

Oh please, don't try to brag. It may run smooth overall, but the OP is talking about smoke specifically. I too notice sever fps drops when in smoke. Fps is fine when looking at the smoke from a distance, but once I go inside the smoke, heavy fps drop.

I have the same problem on my 8800GTS 640. 1920x1200 4x AA high settings.

What drivers are you guys with the problem using? I'm on 169.09

same issue here 8800 GTX 625/1000

1680x1050 everything maxed 4xAA

If i disable the "soften smoke eges" then i dont get slow down, but if i enable that setting my system gets whored anytime there is smoke

169.09 but now everytime I hit apply to change settings I get a direct x error and the settings do not change. sucks. now I am stuck at 640x480 lol

I have an 8800 gts 640mb, using 169.09 drivers, I cannot stand the smoke lag, I play at 1680 x 1050. Do you guys think is can be patched, or is that not the issue? I mean, I don't want my smoke looking all jagged.

I wonder if it a software problem. Maybe the smoke rendering is very gpu intensive.

I don't really notice any problem with smoke in COD4, I get a solid 60 fps even with smoke on the screen.

Wasn't bragging, was just stating a fact. If my "lesser" card has no issues with the smoke in the same game then he obviuosly has something not quite right. Driver, too high an overclock, something..... :rolleyes:

Wasn't bragging, was just stating a fact. If my "lesser" card has no issues with the smoke in the same game then he obviuosly has something not quite right. Driver, too high an overclock, something..... :rolleyes:

People get irritated when they have a problem and then someone comes in and goes "I don't have a problem everything is great" and then put that dumb smiley at the end. It comes off at smug and unhelpful. You didn't intend that, but everytime I see posts like that I just groan because of the tone.

Turning off x-fire solves the changing settings direct x crash.

Still have to drop my settings from quality to performance b/c of the damn smoke.

I don't have any problems with smoke slowing down my system. Using 163.75 official drivers.

sig in rig no issues at all, something is up , cod4 is coded quite well, this is going to sound crazy but go to transparency aa 16 af 4x aa every thing on extra and see what happens I did not see how much system ram you have but i can tell you this, your are entering the era of 4 gig of ram as standard operating procedure

I also have this issue. The frames drop but not to an unplayable level, just to a point of being noticeable.

I got the drop to stay around 70 now that I have the DNA version of 169.04. Still, I go from 350 fps to 60-70 lol.

Smoke effects have always killed framerates right back when we first saw their hideous usage in Quake3 arena.

The problem is called overdraw. In order to draw a smoke trail you have to draw each smoke sprite sequentially starting with the one furthest away. There's no quick way to do it. It's a pure fillrate test and it's where you'll see significant improvements with larger memory buses on graphics cards.

Clever things can be done in drivers though and so, as others have said, make sure you're running the very latest drivers.

People get irritated when they have a problem and then someone comes in and goes "I don't have a problem everything is great" and then put that dumb smiley at the end. It comes off at smug and unhelpful. You didn't intend that, but everytime I see posts like that I just groan because of the tone.

I agree. Yeah that smiley you added at the end was the icing on the cake and just pissed me off - like a fur hat - they just anger some people.

Same problem here, 1680x1050, max details vsync on, solid 60fps until smoke comes around, then i drop to an even 30fps.

No idea why....but it sucks

Maybe new beta drivers will help (using .09 now)

I think you are talking about SMOKE grenades right? Because with my system I get ZERO slowdowns unless I enter a smoke grenade cloud, then it slows down till I lose some of my mouse control. I guess it is just simulating real life right? ;p 99% of the time the game runs great, even with lots of other smoke/fire on the screen.

169.09, 1680x1050, 8800GT, and yes smoke grenade cloud will chug a bit as you pass through it even with smooth smoke edges disabled. It's just one of those things. It doesn't really impact your actual ability to play though, since when you're in thick smoke you can't see anything to shoot at anyway. But yes it happens, it's common even with the latest drivers and everything perfect hardware-wise, so it's a quirk of the game's smoke.
Anyone who says they don't have this problem either hasn't walked close/into a smoke grenade cloud or is playing at a very low resolution. Or they're just plain oblivious to what is happening in the game they're playing lol.

I changed it to high quality with the same settings except at 1280x1024 so I can get 75hz refresh and now it stays above 60 fps in smoke for the most part. Only thing is that in 30+ servers it still lags a bit when everybody gets together in a small area but that is probably the server.

Anyone notice those flame and smoke glitches in the multiplayer? They are like muzzle flashes that never dissipate I think. Seems to be a server issue.

Great game btw. My favorite infy battle game ever.

well I run COD4 max settings at 1680x1050 and I don't notice any slow downs in smoke. I do however run in V-sync so my frams are always at 60, and im using some older drivers 169.12 (I think lol). Mabey If I turnt off v-sync I would notice the slow downs.

I know I got DX error when I would change my resolutions but I found out it was because of x-fire but I don;t think that this is related to that lol. Like the poster said above me, mabey its related to numbe rof people int he server aswell. I prefer servers with 10-20 people in it so its a little easier on my system as well.

Smoke doesn't seem to bother my 8600gt although my fps are crappy
because my sempron bottlenecks it.

Same problem here, 1680x1050, max details vsync on, solid 60fps until smoke comes around, then i drop to an even 30fps.

No idea why....but it sucks

Maybe new beta drivers will help (using .09 now)

Try turning Vync off. I know screen tearing sucks but there are some places that Vsync really takes a hit. Start a game on the Overgrown map and go to one of the APCs that are on fire and look at the fire with Vsync on. Then turn it off. There's a big difference, and I think it's because Vysnc is working overtime to sync those fast moving flames and the smoke.

same here, didnt notice it with my 8800gtx, but i do with the 8800gt, @ 1920x1200 res.

But other then that it runs identically as the GTX. Except
1. less power
2.I got more ROOM!!!

Im running 2 GTX's in SLI and i notice a small slow down during smoke, but not the smoke grenades that sit there. I forget what map it is that the smoke is coming out of the nuke silos. That map runs prefect for me, i just have the slow down during explosions and smoke. This has always been the case with smoke causing slow downs in fps, for those of you who had the pleasure of playing counter strike in the beta stages, know this all to well. It would always drop your frames from like a solid 60fps to like 35-40. It alwyas causes the video cards to work overtime. I think with more mature drivers we should see that slow down become less and less. I am running 169.09 as well.

ok, well I turn't off V-sync, I ran the game at 1680x1050 with every thing on high, 4xAA. I was pulling between 70-80 FPS AVG, when someone would throw a smoke grenade in my screen I dropped down to about 59-63 FPS (depends if I was moving or not) so I am loosing about 10fps because of smoke but it still doesn't drop below 60 FPS so im very pleased.

Back