cod4 on console or pc?

jonneymendoza

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 11, 2004
Messages
6,419
Hi i am torn between which version to get cod4 on. i dont have the greatest pc but i am able to play it on medium quality and i get an fps of 30-45 on my agp system of 3.2 p4 northwood with 2gb ddr ram, and finaly a 7800gt agp 512mb card.


i also have a xbox 360 and many of my friends are getting it on there so it would be a blast online in the 360 plus i know for sure i will be playing it in the highest details possible without any fps drops.

which version do you guys think i should get? i have seen the graphics of the ps3 which looks far superior then the xbox and i was wondering is that how it will look on the pc too?the demo looked great but nothing like the ps3 version
 
There was a thread about this not too long ago. For me, the thing that tips the scales is Achievements on the 360.
 
There was a thread about this not too long ago. For me, the thing that tips the scales is Achievements on the 360.

Yeah I remember that thread. A bunch of were making fun of people that would base a game purchase on such a worthless part of the game.
 
Yeah I remember that thread. A bunch of were making fun of people that would base a game purchase on such a worthless part of the game.

I don't think it's worthless at all. It changes how you play. On games without achievements I just play through to get the story. With achievements there's challenges to try and do different things. It also encourages you to replay the game. I even play games now that I would never have played before. I just finished playing the Open Season game because it has an easy 1000 points. I would never have even thought about playing it before but I ended up having a really good time.
 
Thats for single player though. We all know the multiplayer is the best part of the game. Thats where the pc shines. Pc version will have 64 player servers while the consoles won't have even half that most likely. You will get mods and all that on the pc also. You'll be missing out a lot more from not getting the pc version. Achievements get old fast after you've completed a game with almost all them unlocked on the first try. Theres no need to justify a console purchase right now. Its pretty clear which version is mightier :)
 
The PC version does have an achievement: save 10 dollars instantly.

LOL!! but the question is will it look far superio then the ps3 version? im not expecting to play it in full detail yet but as long as it looks decent in medium settings i dont mind has i am planning on upgrading my pc early next year.

keyboard and mouse is another factor too. well i have canceled my 360 order from play.com and i will just go buy it in the shops has i still cant make up my mind yet LOL.
 
Thats for single player though. We all know the multiplayer is the best part of the game. Thats where the pc shines. Pc version will have 64 player servers while the consoles won't have even half that most likely. You will get mods and all that on the pc also. You'll be missing out a lot more from not getting the pc version. Achievements get old fast after you've completed a game with almost all them unlocked on the first try. Theres no need to justify a console purchase right now. Its pretty clear which version is mightier :)

lol, I play a lot more singleplayer than I do multiplayer. CoD4 multiplayer on the 360 is a lot of fun though. So I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. I see it as I'm gaining something by playing it on the 360.
 
lol, I play a lot more singleplayer than I do multiplayer. CoD4 multiplayer on the 360 is a lot of fun though. So I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. I see it as I'm gaining something by playing it on the 360.

another thing i would like to add is that i dont realy wanna depend just on my 360 for gaming because we all know that the rrod can happen at any time. this is why i am considering cod4 in the pc in the first place.
 
Although one should never go with peer pressure all the time, if many of your friends are getting it for the 360, then you should too. At least you'll know that you have somewhat reliable teammates.

Though personally I'd go with the PC version due to the larger amount of players ingame.
 
if you do not mind playing with less players and you prefer the dual analog then get the 360 version. I personally prefer FPS games on the PC because a lot of my friends do not have 360s, the player count is higher, and I prefer mouse and keyboard over the 360 controller.
 
I personally don't like playing FPS on console.

Unless you're comfortable playing FPS on a console, don't get the console version just cause your friends all have them. better to stick to PC and enjoy the game the way fps is meant to be played:D
 
+ xbox live is way better than pc gaming online. by that i mean on xbox people actually talk and use strategy (most the time). not to say pc gamers don't but its much more team based on xbox i think, and that makes for fun gameing. then xbox usually has more games unless its a big hit on the pc.
 
LOL!! but the question is will it look far superio then the ps3 version? im not expecting to play it in full detail yet but as long as it looks decent in medium settings i dont mind has i am planning on upgrading my pc early next year.

keyboard and mouse is another factor too. well i have canceled my 360 order from play.com and i will just go buy it in the shops has i still cant make up my mind yet LOL.

Dude they look the same as long as your PC doesn't suck. Beyond that Jaggies and blurry textures 5 feet out on the consoles.

Also I understand the achievements, They were in HL2 Ep2 and I didn't bother with any of them, unless I got it while just playing normally. Just think it's a stupid reason to pick one version over the other.
 
Is this a question? If you have any kind of decent hardware the mouse+kb is the obvious choice. I never liked controllers for fps at all. Great for racing and fighting though.
 
+ xbox live is way better than pc gaming online. by that i mean on xbox people actually talk and use strategy (most the time). not to say pc gamers don't but its much more team based on xbox i think, and that makes for fun gameing. then xbox usually has more games unless its a big hit on the pc.

Halo is concrete evidence that most Xbox players could care less about strategy. deathmatch deathmatch deathmatch. Even in CTF games and other "teamwork/strategy" game types, all most people want to do is play it like a deathmatch.
 
Space sez PC only for COD4. All my friends and teammates are PC players though. The game sure looks nice on a GTX.
 
i would gladly give up a few details to play with my friends over xbox live. we have a group at my school that regularly plays together, and this is probably our next game.
 
I would go for the PC version for the mods. I usually spend more time playing mods than the original game.
 
I do not understand what good achievements are. I mean, you get a achievement, and then what? Whatever... i'm getting the PC version. It looks amazing with all settings cranked up, and plays without a hitch.

If I ever have a choice of a FPS in a console, or a PC... I don't think twice about it.

Pc= better graphics, KB+Mouse, mods.
 
Ya i dont mind playing fps on consoles as my 360 controller does a very good job. But my system runs the game rather well and there will be a buttload of mods for the game so pc version for me!!

Is the pc version dualcore enabled?
 
After playing the PC demo there's no way the 360 (and especially not the PS3) can recreate those graphics. The game just looks way too good at 1080p with AA and AF on the PC. It's nice to see the PC finally starting to look better than the 360. For the last couple years I've been choosing 360 versions over PC versions because they typically look the same and it's easier to just throw a game into the 360. I'm excited about getting back into PC gaming.
 
It's nice to see the PC finally starting to look better than the 360. For the last couple years I've been choosing 360 versions over PC versions because they typically look the same...

Huh? Do pigs fly now too?
 
Right, because the focus changes, most companies can make a lot more money by producing a GREAT game for a console as soon as it hits. People go crazy and grab everything they can to see if their new console was worth it.

Give it time then the PC hits up in tops again. So instead of PC getting imports from console, it turns around again. I hate more than anything the launch of a new console. It costs a lot of money for me and most the games I play for console I'd rather play for pc... FPS being the #1...
 
getting it for the ps3.. since that's all i have at the moment. ehh can't wait to play the sniper mission.. looks bad ass.
 
Huh? Do pigs fly now too?

For as long as I've been gaming (I remember vividly my NES, my 4MB Voodoo Graphics, etc) PC games have always been the best in terms of graphics and technology. When the Xbox came out it was close to the PC, but it wasn't long before the discrepancy was huge and the PC was way better. When the 360 came out it looked great. At least on par with PC. I expected the PC to surpass the 360 very quickly and within two years (ie now) I figured the 360 would look like ass. That didn't happen and PC gaming graphics have been stale for a while now. Fast forward to when we finally see some "next-gen" DX10 games. I downloaded the Bioshock demo and it looked good on my 8800GTS, but it looked about the same on the 360. The 360 version wasn't plagued with all the crappy issues that the PC version had. I chose the 360 version.

This is not exclusive to Bioshock, look at R6: Vegas, DiRT, Oblivion, sports titles, or really any multi-platform title since the 360 came out. The 360 version usually looks real close to what the PC can do. My point was, after playing the CoD4 demo, I think there will finally be a BIG difference between what consoles deliver and what we will see on our PCs.
 
Would this game look/perform better on my 7800GT or should I just get the PS3 version?
 
Hi i am torn between which version to get cod4 on. i dont have the greatest pc but i am able to play it on medium quality and i get an fps of 30-45 on my agp system of 3.2 p4 northwood with 2gb ddr ram, and finaly a 7800gt agp 512mb card.


i also have a xbox 360 and many of my friends are getting it on there so it would be a blast online in the 360 plus i know for sure i will be playing it in the highest details possible without any fps drops.

which version do you guys think i should get? i have seen the graphics of the ps3 which looks far superior then the xbox and i was wondering is that how it will look on the pc too?the demo looked great but nothing like the ps3 version


Any FPS will always be for PC.. I dont see how ppl get them for console.. as myself I cant handle having to play with a controler.. lets just put it this way PC is better and console is for ppl that cant afford a PC so if you have a PC get it for PC.. all games are better on PC and better looking
 
Any FPS will always be for PC.. I dont see how ppl get them for console.. as myself I cant handle having to play with a controler.. lets just put it this way PC is better and console is for ppl that cant afford a PC so if you have a PC get it for PC.. all games are better on PC and better looking

but will it look any better on my pc which has only a 7800gtx agp card and a 3.2ghz northwood?

it played pretty decently in medium settings but diddnt look quite has good as the beta i played of cod4 on the 360.. maybe its because the pc demo was taken place at night whilst the beta was during day time on MP maps
 
Always, always, always get a FPS on the PC, over the console.

QFT.

Plus consider your gaming setup. Do you have a fast PC with a large LCD but a 360 connected to a smallish TV? Or do you have a dated PC system but have a 50"+ HDTV with 5.1 surround connected to your 360/PS3? If you have both then listen to fallguy!
 
I'm quite fond of my Xbox 360 but I can't stand FPS games on consoles. The Xbox 360 has it's uses but for me playing FPS isn't one of them.
 
i also have a xbox 360 and many of my friends are getting it on there so it would be a blast online in the 360 plus i know for sure i will be playing it in the highest details possible without any fps drops.

Have you actually confirmed this?

A mate brought his 360 to our LAN and we played the Stuntman 2 demo and the frame rate drop was diabolical throughout most of the game, consoles are not well known for playing games in "max" settings either, most console/pc cross developed games leave the consoles running medium/high at best and miss the very high or ultra style settings.
 
Back
Top