• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

COD MW2 lag

jebo_4jc

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2011
2FA
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
14,572
It seems like I experience lag at least once per hour or two.

Am I alone here? I have AT&T Uverse, so I'm guessing it's not my net connection (I have no problems otherwise).
 
Seems that since they released the new patch I have been getting more lag. It's not unplayable or really even that annoying but I have noticed more.
 
It's been annoying me.

I've been getting lag killed lately, leading to ragequits

Also, the fucking hosts keep leaving the game mid-round.

I hate to say it and open up the can of worms, but IW needs to bring back dedicated servers
 
It's been annoying me.

I've been getting lag killed lately, leading to ragequits

Also, the fucking hosts keep leaving the game mid-round.

I hate to say it and open up the can of worms, but IW needs to bring back dedicated servers

the can has already been opened, the worms already baited, the fish caught and eaten. there are about 15 different threads discussing MW2 and dedicated servers.

bottom line is sometimes you get lag-free games, sometimes you get laggy games. about 98% of my games have been lag-free or what i consider tolerably-laggy (barely noticeable). others have had a different experience.
 
Depends on your host. Most of the time it's good for me at least.
 
How many bars do you guys see on the little connection meter?

I think I have 3 green bars nearly 100% of the time. I don't remember ever having either 2 or 4
 
i almost always have 4 bars. are you located in a relatively densely populated area?
 
well you're certainly more densely populated than my area. NAT set to "open", and not "strict"?
 
well i'm out of ideas :)
i'd suggest that your internet connection is the poblem, but i'm hardly qualified to make that statement.
 
Seems that since they released the new patch I have been getting more lag. It's not unplayable or really even that annoying but I have noticed more.

+1

The start of games often lag, then it calms down a bit.

Lag has been worse since the 1.0.175 patch
 
im from the boston area, and I def have been getting frequent lag/host migrations/drops since the most recent patch. ive also got 25/25 fios, if anyone else is getting similar issues from my area.
 
It's been annoying me.

I've been getting lag killed lately, leading to ragequits

Also, the fucking hosts keep leaving the game mid-round.

I hate to say it and open up the can of worms, but IW needs to bring back dedicated servers

I really do hope that IW does bring out dedicated servers. Robert Bowling has commented on adding dedicated servers in the future. Bad news is that he's never confirmed they will come. Good news is that he's never denied that they will come. It COULD happen but I doubt it will. Doing so will just prove that they were wrong with IWNET.

I am confident that the ones that actually designed and programmed the game knew things would end up the way they did. I believe IWNET was strictly a business decision and Robert Bowling had to play it off as some kind of solution to a problem no one was having.

Reasons like make it easier for casual gamers to find games and most users don't know how to run dedicated servers were thrown at us. Complete bullshit. Uh...Gamespy? Built in server browsers, Tribes 2 did it, Unreal Tournament did it, Half-Life did it. World at War did it.

Anyone read Game Informer? There's an interview in there with CEO Bobby Kotick. I like how he tried to dress himself along with his beard like he's all hip and our friend. Blah.

Okay now I'm ranting.
 
IW released a playlist update around noon (Pacific Time) on Feb 2nd on the PC Version of Modern Warfare 2 which caused problems. They released an update last night and it seems fine now. For me it was causing disconnects after every game and sometimes in the middle of a game.

On regular cfg settings, 4 bars means 1-100 ping, 3 bars 101-200, 2 bars 201-300, 1 bar is 301+.
If you want more detail:
• Navigate to the folder: 'program files\steam\steamapps\common\call of duty modern warfare 2\players' and open the file config_mp.cfg
• Change scoresping_interval from 100 to 25, and maxbars from 4 to 10 (10 is the max).
• This means that each of the 10 bars represents 25ms, with 10 green bars being 25ms or lower, and 1 red being 226ms or higher

I won't play a game with less then 3 bars, since that would mean a ping of 200+ on both the 4 and 10 bar display.
 
Last edited:
If you want more detail:
• Navigate to the folder: 'program files\steam\steamapps\common\call of duty modern warfare 2\players' and open the file config_mp.cfg
• Change scoresping_interval from 100 to 25, and maxbars from 4 to 10 (10 is the max).
• This means that each of the 10 bars represents 25ms, with 10 green bars being 25ms or lower, and 1 red being 225ms or higher.

Good tip, I've used this for a while and allows you to tell quite easily who is the host. I used mine in increments of 20ms
 
Back
Top