CoD: Infinite Warfare For Windows 10 Not Compatible With Steam Version

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Nov 4, 2016.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

Obviously this isn't going to be a problem for all of you Steam users out there but anyone buying a physical copy of the game for Windows 10 will not be able to play with your friends that own the Steam version. How stupid is that? Making matters worse, CoD:IW isn't a Xbox Play Anywhere title either, so no cross play with Xbox One owners either. Thanks to everyone that sent this one in.

2. azuza001

azuza001 Gawd

Hey, member when games on the same system online could work together? I member....

3. oROEchimaru

oROEchimaru [H]ardness Supreme

MS makes live > makes it a pain for developers and gamers ... even though alot of us had hopes for it.... even Gears of War developers said no more Live
    > ms says we wont make that mistake again > steam takes off even more

Then... MS makes win10 gaming platform again > wants to be exclusive again > makes gamers and developers abandon the platform again...

cycle repeats. MS needs to encourage the platform to be cross play or it will die off again.

4. dandirk

dandirk [H]ard|Gawd

I am generally a MS supporter but yeah spitting the player base is not a good idea at all. Very odd decision given they are not the #1 ecosystem, you would think they would be making their games MORE seamless than the "leader" steam.

5. ManofGod

ManofGod [H]ardForum Junkie

For those who have decided to just bash Microsoft or not even bother to look things up: This was a choice that Activision made all on their own. UWA fully supports multi player across multiple PC platforms, Activision decided not to enable it. So, you want to crap all over someone, crap all over Activision. (Although, it would not surprise me to find out that Gabe payed off Activision to make sure they it would not work across these platforms.)

Welp, no need to run out and buy the Steam version either, good luck.

This was not Microsoft choice but Activisions choice. Looks like Gabe from Steam probably paid them to do this but, I have no proof of this, just an observation.

John721, Delitus, {NG}Fidel and 5 others like this.
  6. DrLobotomy

DrLobotomy [H]ardness Supreme

Guess this was a good idea in the CEO's office.

Funny how good ideas can turn into bad ideas when they leave the room.

7. ManofGod

The Activisions CEO office that is. They decided not to do the Play Anywhere either, unfortunately.

heatlesssun likes this.
  8. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

Microsoft says that it's up to the developer to enable CrossPlay or allow play between services.
    http://www.windowscentral.com/call-duty-coming-windows-store-not-without-some-drawbacks

Games like the upcoming GWENT: A Witcher Card Game support cross-play between the Windows 10 Store, Win32 versions, and Xbox One, so it seems unlikely that there are any hard restrictions in place which have dictated this scenario.

Update #1: A source familiar to the matter recently informed us that the decision to segregate Windows 10 Store and Win32 PC platform players is entirely on Activision. There is nothing about the UWP toolset that prevents cross-play functionality, as seen with CD Projekt RED's upcoming GWENT card game.

Update #2: We now have an official comment from a Microsoft spokesperson which reads as follows.

"We support cross-play between devices and platforms for partners who want to enable it."

We can only hope that Activision will reverse this strange decision, and can only speculate as to why they decided to handle the Win32 and UWP PC versions of the game this way.

Going by the existing Windows 10 Store listings, we can expect both titles to launch alongside other platforms on November 4, 2016.

9. WorldExclusive

WorldExclusive [H]ardForum Junkie

Nothing of value was lost.

John721, MavericK, lilbabycat and 9 others like this.
  10. Shmee

Shmee [H]ard|Gawd

I don't think this is an MS or a Valve issue. I think Activision is just being lazy and didn't want to figure out how to make communication work between the Steam users and the Xbox for Windows users.

11. ManofGod

You are right, this Call of Duty appears to be nothing of value after all.

12. HeadRusch

HeadRusch [H]ard|Gawd

Activision still wants $50 bucks to download the multiplayer maps for Black Ops II, released in 2012.......this move isn't surprising.

13. Stev3FrencH

Stev3FrencH Limp Gawd

I doubt Gabe/Valve cares about COD on PC. PC is the worse platform to play COD on because it dies off quickly even on steam. They have bigger things going on then shafting COD release on UWP.

14. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

Windows is the OS of doing things, it's not exclusive, it will never be exclusive. Nothing about it will ever be exclusive. I give their new cockamamie plan* two years.

*Cockamamie plan is not new.

15. canmanone

canmanone Limp Gawd

true dat

16. cambrian

cambrian Gawd

The game with the most dislike on you tube is about to have the most disliked launch.
    Activision deserves all the shit storm that is coming.

17. LurkerLito

LurkerLito 2[H]4U

ROFL "cross platform". There is NO platform difference here, it's WINDOWS, that is the platform. Windows Store, Origin, UPlay, GoG Galaxy, Steam, etc are store front ends. If it plays on Windows then all versions on Windows regardless of where you bought it should be able to play each other, if it doesn't then it was poorly designed and incorrectly made. If you are using a "feature" of a particular online store that isn't on the others where you plan on selling it on then you either shouldn't be using that feature, don't sell it on the other stores missing the feature, or you have to building that feature yourself for use by those who purchase it from the other stores.

jfreund and Gottfried Leibnizzle like this.
  18. Madoc

Madoc Gawd

Pepperidge Farm remembers!

Chupachup and blkt like this.
  19. SuicidalGoat

SuicidalGoat [H]ard|Gawd

fuck activision. after the ghosts atrocity...never again. ever.

20. Shotglass01

Shotglass01 [H]ard|Gawd

Play it on W7/8/8.1. Fixed. :p

21. DukenukemX

DukenukemX [H]ardness Supreme

Wasn't there an article a few months ago that said that Microsoft will do anything they can to take down Steam?

22. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

ill just buy one copy for my xbone, then my wife an I can play together. :p

23. negachampa

negachampa n00b

Why in the world would anyone want to waste their money on this garbage when BF1 is better in every aspect. RIP COD.

24. heatlesssun

heatlesssun [H]ard as it Gets

Not really sure how taking down Steam helps Microsoft as Steam and gaming support are a huge advantage for Windows. Indeed this is a case where I'm thinking Microsoft would much rather have cross-play support for the Windows Store version of CoD than not because that's going to suppress Windows Store sales. The Deluxe version is selling for $20 less on Windows Store than Steam, probably as a result of the this issue.

Armenius likes this.
  25. OEM

OEM [H]ard as it Gets

Why would anyone buy anything other than a Windows 10 Pro edition upgrade on the windows store?

26. britjh22

britjh22 Limp Gawd

Everyone blaming Activision for not enabling UWA/Play anywhere, I feel you are partially wrong here. I think Microsoft ABSOLUTELY deserves blames for creating a store/software platform that acts as it's own little console like ecosystem unless the developer does a work around, FUCK everything about that. Fuck Microsoft so hard for trying to make W10 basically another console. If there were some amazing performance increase from DX12 (which I certainly haven't seen so far, VULKAN is shitting all over DX12 as far as I can see) maybe it would justify MS making W10 a platform that isn't compatible out of the box for developers or users, but that just isn't the case.

JosiahBradley and DeathFromBelow like this.
  27. AK0tA

AK0tA Gawd

Yet another game I wont be purchasing.

28. Aireoth

Aireoth 2[H]4U

I haven't bought COD since black ops.

29. ManofGod

What workaround , all that have to do is enable something and it is done, period.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  30. Jagger100

Jagger100 [H]ardness Supreme

The lie just enough to stave off a viable player base to support other PC gaming platforms. Then they fuck up the place enough to keep consoles in the fore. repeat.

31. Dwango

Dwango Gawd

Developer: We should probably put a little extra time into making sure all the PC versions can play together.

Activision: Fuck 'em! They're lucky we bother making anything for the PC at all!

32. CaptNumbNutz

CaptNumbNutz Bulls[H]it Master

[​IMG]

meanmodda[H] and azuza001 like this.
  33. Bandalo

Bandalo 2[H]4U

MS made it a feature for any developer to use. How is that their fault? There's nothing MS is doing to hinder devs from cross-platform play, they've even ADDED the Xbox / W10 cross platform features. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's a step in the right direction. Do you see Sony or Nintendo going out of their way for this kind of feature?

34. azuza001

azuza001 Gawd

Oh I member! Member when call of duty was a new game out to rival medal of Honor? Lol

Zuul likes this.
  35. lironmiron

lironmiron Limp Gawd

Because we all thought that the one good thing missing from PC Gaming was fragmentation >_<;;;

36. umeng2002

umeng2002 Gawd

I wonder how much MS paid them for that.

Remember, always read the back of the box.

Also, this isn't how digital distribution is supposed to work...

37. Accursed

Accursed Limp Gawd

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!

As if I needed another excuse NOT to buy this CoD. First in like a decade I won't be buying. Infinity Ward blows....

38. illram

illram [H]ard|Gawd

COD is and always will be a console game. There are hundreds of thousands of console players months after launch. On PC you're lucky to even find a lobby in any mode besides team deathmatch.

Don't bother buying it on PC.

39. Quix

Quix 2[H]4U

That's ridiculous.

40. Nimisys

Nimisys Likes To Play With Trannies

Because Play Anywhere is awesome.

Armenius and ManofGod like this.