CoD 4 error: IW3sp.exe has stopped working

Cov

Gawd
I can't believe this ... have bought a brandnew sealed copy of Call of Duty 4 and played the campaign mode up to the point where you follow Captain Price in the camouflage clothes ... to the big hotel building ... and suddenly the program closes down with the error message:

IW3sp.exe has stopped working

I have googled this very message and it found a lot of people encountering the same error message ... but at different stages ... (discussed in many different forums).

This is very strange and of course, f r u s t r a t i n g !

cod4crashyeb.jpg

Anyone encountered the same problem ?

Thank you

what i did was open my sound properties and disable "what i hear" and turn on the microphone and it will start right up. i

iw = infinaty ward
sp = single player / mp = multiplayer

Will backup my "save files" and "multiplayer profile" and reinstall the game ... somebody else said problem was solved by just plugging in a headphone into the mic socket.

did you try what i suggested? i reinstalled also same thing happened.

what i did was open my sound properties and disable "what i hear" and turn on the microphone and it will start right up.

I'm really not sure what to do.

When you say disable "what I hear", do you mean disable loudspeaker ?
But I can't turn on a microphone cause I don't have any.

Have gone into the sound folder:

mic1hvk.jpg

mic2jh1.jpg

Have disabled the sound card completely = negative
Have patched to v1.4 = negative
Have patched from 1.4 to 1.5 = negative

Welcome to Vista. It's not Call of Duty's fault, as it happens with a variety of applications.

I suspect you have an Nvidia card as well.

What video card and drivers do you have? I had problems with CoD 4 with the 174.74 drivers but 169.44 works fine.

hmm, interesting ... my graphics card is an eVGA GeForce 8800 GT
and the video driver version is: 7.15.11.6932
driver date: 09/01/2008

Here is the picture that comes up only two seconds before it crashes:

28-04-08_1516bq4.jpg

Don't know if there is a correlation or not, but when I cranked up AA and AF I started getting this error; when I took AA back to 4x and turned AF all the way down again, I didn't get it anymore.

ok, here's how I've made it work now.

1. Uninstalled CoD 4 and re-installed it again.

2. Got the unlocker (for all levels) and went straight to the problem level Act II / One Shot, One Kill ... and ?

It works as if it never had a problem before.

You really need to be extra patient and persistant with PC problems (and there are plenty) ... otherwise better look for a different hobby.

If you are using Realtek onboard sound, it's a known issue. Here's the fix in case anyone else needs it:

Control Panel > Sounds

Click on the "Recording" tab. Right click on the empty white space under the list of devices and check "Show Disabled Devices". "Stereo Mix" should now appear in the list. Enable that.

If you are using Realtek onboard sound, it's a known issue. Here's the fix in case anyone else needs it:

Control Panel > Sounds

Click on the "Recording" tab. Right click on the empty white space under the list of devices and check "Show Disabled Devices". "Stereo Mix" should now appear in the list. Enable that.

This worked for me perfectly when I had this issue.

Back