Cloned OS drive not booting fully into Windows XP

DNA2251

n00b
I just cloned my OS partition (Windows XP) so that I can run it on its own drive so I can make its original drive a single partition drive instead of a two partition drive.

However when I try running my computer with the cloned hard drive it'll boot up past the black screen with the scrolling load bar and the windows logo until right before the log in screen where all you see is the windows xp logo behind a blue background, the mouse works and you can move the cursor around as well but it just freezes there. The OS is set to just boot directly to the desktop. It does this in safe mode as well.

Any suggestions as to what might be going on? I don't want to continue with this unless if I can clone the drive reliably.

What did you clone it with?

Sounds like you may need to reclone it, or repair the windows install

How did you clone one partition into a full drive?

(maybe the OS is looking for the 2nd partition?)

Did you clone Windows to a drive or partition that was already seen by the original installation? If so, then you're experiencing the same problem that I already posted about, where Windows adopts the letter of the partition that was recorded in the registry.

See here: http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm

actually its prolly a drive letter problem like you were mentioning thanks for the help!

Back