Client/server encryption for AD enviroment?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12106
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12106

I'm looking to encrypt some server and clients in my home environment. No real reason other than to learn. I am working on setting up a 2012 r2 domain, just bought Vipre Business Premium to use and deploy. I also want to look at some endpoint encryption for my laptop as well as my wife's laptop, then eventually my daughter's laptop. The domain currently has 3 servers as well. I am open to open source as well as paid solutions. Searched Google and see there are a few options out there, but nothing that really reviews usability, or provides cost w/o an inquiry.

Thoughts?

I have used PGP encryption on numerous laptops and had no issues.

Last I looked into it, most endpoint encryption does not support encrypting RAID volumes, so you may want to look into that before deploying any volume based encryption on servers.

Doesn't 2012r2 have bit locker?

Yes. Looking to see what is all out there.

I have used PGP encryption on numerous laptops and had no issues.

Last I looked into it, most endpoint encryption does not support encrypting RAID volumes, so you may want to look into that before deploying any volume based encryption on servers.

The servers are all virtual.

are you looking for FDE, volume-based, file-based, or all the above?

Just use bit locker the only short coming it has in my opinion is that it has to be an entire partition. However its free and works well from my limited testing. Of course with everything it has more abilities with newer versions of windows. You can also get it setup and running with group policies to some degree which is nice.
You could just encrypt the drive that is hosting your virtual machines assuming its a hyper-v based os I have done it on single disks with vms and had no issues with the vms running once the volume was unlocked. (no raid though)

You should be a little more clear in what you are wanting though. At first glance it sounds like you want to encrypt communications between devices. I guess that could just be me.

Whatever you do, get a full backup before clicking the encrypt button.

Back