• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Clicking noise dangerous?

me0w0w

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 19, 2006
Messages
478
I'm mining on my rig but I hear a clicking noise from the PSU.

Definitely not the fan since its not constant. It'll be like click-click-click-click, quiet, 5 seconds later, click-click-click, quiet, 5 secs later, click-click-click-click.

PSU is Seasonic x750, running stock 3770k, AMD 6990 + 7950.

Kill-a-watts is measuring 770 watts from the wall. Calculate Gold efficiency = 662watts DC, definitely lots of head room left.

Is this clicking dangerous? Been going on for 48 hours.

Googling finds me its either, fan, voltage regulator, or this "arcing".

Don't really feel like RMAing it since I'll have to wait awhile for rig to be up.

EDIT: while we're at it,
Corsair AX 850 GOLD is $135 on amazon and the ax 860 Platinum is $159, worth the difference?

Only thing I know is platnium will be quieter as it will use less heat and energy efficient = save money on wattage usage.
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm mining on my rig but I hear a clicking noise from the PSU.

Definitely not the fan since its not constant. It'll be like click-click-click-click, quiet, 5 seconds later, click-click-click, quiet, 5 secs later, click-click-click-click.

PSU is Seasonic x750, running stock 3770k, AMD 6990 + 7950.

Kill-a-watts is measuring 770 watts from the wall. Calculate Gold efficiency = 662watts DC, definitely lots of head room left.

Is this clicking dangerous? Been going on for 48 hours.

Googling finds me its either, fan, voltage regulator, or this "arcing".

Don't really feel like RMAing it since I'll have to wait awhile for rig to be up.

EDIT: while we're at it,
Corsair AX 850 GOLD is $135 on amazon and the ax 860 Platinum is $159, worth the difference?

Only thing I know is platnium will be quieter as it will use less heat and energy efficient = save money on wattage usage.

Are you 100% positive it's not the bearings in the fan? Could always trying oiling it. My PSU did similar to what you're describing and a couple drop of oil completely fixed it.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you 100% positive it's not the bearings in the fan? Could always trying oiling it. My PSU did similar to what you're describing and a couple drop of oil completely fixed it.

If fan, wouldn't it be a constant clicking? the fan is always on and I don't hear the clicking when the comp is not loaded, I start to hear it when the comp is loaded.
 
If fan, wouldn't it be a constant clicking? the fan is always on and I don't hear the clicking when the comp is not loaded, I start to hear it when the comp is loaded.

not necessarily. If the fan is slightly out of balance it could cause breaks in the clicking sound. However, it sounds like you have other issues if it's only doing it under load.

Might as well RMA it. Can't hurt and better than it taking other components out with it if it fails.
 
The PSU fan would likely spin faster as there would be a higher power draw and stuff would get hotter.
 
not necessarily. If the fan is slightly out of balance it could cause breaks in the clicking sound. However, it sounds like you have other issues if it's only doing it under load.

Might as well RMA it. Can't hurt and better than it taking other components out with it if it fails.

loading it right now, no click.. hrmmmm, I'm hoping its the fan then.
 
Back
Top