Cleaning options for dusting out computers?

DarkCyber

[H]ard|Gawd
I have been using regular compressed air cans to clean out my computers but wondered if there is another affordable option. I have searched and found something called a canless air thing that is rechargeable but the basic one is like $100.00. Way to high for just the occasional dusting out your computer.

So, does anyone know of a non-compressed can option. Something that maybe is reusable or rechargeable?

Thanks!

This is my very favorite device of all time for that use.
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001J4ZOAW/

Right now amazon has it at $60 but it's price drops fairly regularly. I've seen it as low as $42 at various retailers.

It calls itself a vacuum (poor naming) but it is a blower. Does the job of cleaning out computer cases fantastically, I've had one for several years and it is light years beyond anything canned air can do. Just take your case out onto your porch before you use it because dust WILL go everywhere.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
that name is misleading, I really thought it's a vacuum until reading through the reviews. Another cheap alternative is using hair dryer:p

Air Compressor. I have a small 2 gallon one that works wonderfully.

Right now amazon has it at $60 but it's price drops fairly regularly. I've seen it as low as $42 at various retailers.

It calls itself a vacuum (poor naming) but it is a blower. Does the job of cleaning out computer cases fantastically, I've had one for several years and it is light years beyond anything canned air can do. Just take your case out onto your porch before you use it because dust WILL go everywhere.

Just bought one last year. Holy hell has it been useful. Well worth the full $60 IMO.

Thanks for the suggestions! I don't think a hair dryer would be strong enough to blow out some of my computers :D.

I thought about a small air compressor as well. What kind do you have and what did it cost you? Got a link to it or a similar one like it?

Last edited:
For the price of a single-use product like a motorized duster or computer vac, you can buy a much more useful air compressor (probably at least $60) or wet-dry vaccum that can blow as well as suck ($30-40). Avoid Harbor Freight compressors (but their accessories are OK). Home Depot and Sears sell very powerful wet-dry shop vacs made by Ridgid, and the ones from HD are warranted for life. $100 buys a monster wet-dry vac that can suck a flood dry.

Vacum / air compressors = possible static electricity = dead ram!

Not that i have had it happen... but if anything take out your ram and hold any fans so you don't break them with a compressor.

Vacum / air compressors = possible static electricity = dead ram!

Not that i have had it happen... but if anything take out your ram and hold any fans so you don't break them with a compressor.

An engineer at work once repaired TVs for a living and mentioned getting a service bulletin from a TV manufacturer about that. I don't use compressed air or a vacuum but just take the computer into the bathroom or outside and blow through a rubber hose. Of course, I first remove any dust sensitive devices, like optical drives and those new-fangled floppy drives.

Metro's Datavac is hands down the most useful tool I have ever gotten to clean electronics, or anything else that builds up dust. As written before this is a duster not a vacuum.

Semi-stiff bristle paint brush is cheap (~$1 each), effective and safe. Get a wide one and a narrow one for inbetween tight spots like between slots, VRM/capacitor, CPU fan, etc.

05f7515e-f906-466b-9035-d2a9bb742c96_1000.jpg

Be careful if you use vacuum due to static discharge so better to be bare foot on grounded surface like tile or concrete and ground the nozzle.

this is the best tool in my bag.

Semi-stiff bristle paint brush is cheap (~$1 each), effective and safe. Get a wide one and a narrow one for inbetween tight spots like between slots, VRM/capacitor, CPU fan, etc.

Be careful if you use vacuum due to static discharge so better to be bare foot on grounded surface like tile or concrete and ground the nozzle.
Regular brushes generate static, too, so I'd keep them away from the circuit board. But there are special anti-static (anti ESD) brushes, like these:

http://www.gordonbrush.com/anti-static-brushes.html

But I've seen products advertised as anti-static when they were not, so ask for the maximum static voltage generated. Any legitimate anti-static products company will know that information, and I think 100V or 500V is maximum. 3M says their anti-static tape stays below 50V, I think.

this is the best tool in my bag.

Ditto. I even use it for dusting the house!

(...using the duster to kick up a maelstrom of dust from all crevices/corners, then turning on two portable Honeywell air filters, set up in a room for max room-air circulation, and setting them to max before I leave for work -- do this once a month or so, and dust be runnin' for the hills :)

Good thing I used the search before I started another thread about the DataVac. Little bit pricey, but its a one and done buy I suppose. 18 cans of compressed air at Costco about the same price as this. I suppose I'll pull the trigger at amazon and get the DataVac afterall

that name is misleading, I really thought it's a vacuum until reading through the reviews. Another cheap alternative is using hair dryer:p

That's what I use! Better if the model works without heat.

My systems don't get very dirty. I clean them about one a year on average.

oh wow that is awesome, never knew you could buy something like this :)

I've tried vacuums, brushes, Q-Tips and even a hair dryer but nothing seems to get the case really dust free. But I found a solution: a garden/yard leaf blower.

Seriously.

I take case outside and open/remove all the panels. I let the blower run for a minute or so and make sure the tube is clean and free of dirt. I stick something into the fans so they don't rotate and just stand 3-5 feet away and blast the interior of the case. Interior of the case looks new. It's that clean.

I know it sounds goofy but I've never had a problem.

Back