• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cleaning an LCD

Carv

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 5, 2005
Messages
1,028
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I did a search and could'nt find anything on it. Now, I've owned a CRT all my life, until recently when I got an LCD. Question is, is there any special way of cleaning an LCD?
 
I used the overpriced kit from RadioShack. $20 - Monster screen cleaner spray with "micro-fiber" towel. Yeah I know, hosed. Well I sprayed regular crap on it once and it looked horrid and the coating left behind looked all funny. No more household stuff after that. Picked this up in a hurry and it was like new, even after the funny film on it prior, after using this monster stuff. Oh well, probably wasnt the best thing for it, but I won't be using anything not meant for screens even if it's alcohol free anymore. $20 for use on a 1k LCD or my FW900 baby.... screw it.
 
Yea I heard about getting those wipes for eye glasses. But I don't know if I clean it with just regular water. I read somewere that you need to have a 50/50 mix of water and alcohol, but I wanted to see what you guys had to say here before trying something like that.
 
With the dry-wipes you clean it dry. Unless you have the nasty habit of touching your screen (I hate finger prints, I usually yell at the people at work every time they touch their screen, lol) the only thing on it is dust and it wipes right off with the wipes.
 
texuspete00 said:
I used the overpriced kit from RadioShack. $20 - Monster screen cleaner spray with "micro-fiber" towel. Yeah I know, hosed. Well I sprayed regular crap on it once and it looked horrid and the coating left behind looked all funny. No more household stuff after that. Picked this up in a hurry and it was like new, even after the funny film on it prior, after using this monster stuff. Oh well, probably wasnt the best thing for it, but I won't be using anything not meant for screens even if it's alcohol free anymore. $20 for use on a 1k LCD or my FW900 baby.... screw it.
I have the same stuff, it works great. The microfiber is great for dusting also.
 
i tried some wipes from OfficeMax that just didn't work at all (can't believe they even sell them)..

in the end i found some mildely warm water, dampened a soft cloth (not wet, just damp), and just washing the screen, then immediately drying it with another soft cloth worked the best..

just the usual warning, don't use windex (or any other alcohol based cleaner)
 
Back
Top