clean my WC loop

shamgar03

n00b
2FA
Joined
Apr 23, 2005
Messages
34
How often should empty out my water cooling system and clean out the tubes? Also, how should I go about this if I need to do it?
 
most systems tell you in the manual i believe, once a year or so i would suggest depending on the unit.
 
Well I built mine myself, so I don't really have anything but the manual for the pump. Should I just syphon distilled water through or should I take all the connections off and clean each separately?
 
complete disassembly or just run a couple gallons of fresh distilled water through?
 
I have completely disassembled my loop and I decided to submerge most of the parts to clean then in distilled water. Strangely I have noticed that all the of tubes have a white-ish residue on the inside, that isn't coming out. What should I do? Should I buy new tubing, or try something to clean everything out?
 
My Swiftech tubing built up a bad whitish film after about 6 months. I disassembled the loop then took a piece of wire hanger and crimped it over a piece of rag which I soaked in alcohol and pulled it through the tubing, it worked wonders.
 
you don't think it could be mildew do you? I am using zerex coolant which I believe is just basically a form of anti-freeze (although it is redish). Should I add something else to prevent such buildup?

edit: coat hanger worked, now I am just sort of looking for the cause.
 
No, I doubt it's mildew, there'd be crud in the water/coolant and my coolant was clear as a bell. I have no clue what caused it, I wasn't happy though.
 
Back
Top