Clean My Mac

No. MacOS does not have a registry like windows. If you want to delete something, you just delete it. Most apps might have config files in a few spots, but if you know where to look you can simply delete those as well. They don’t take up much space so it’s generally not necessary for space reasons.

NO. I've been a full time Mac user for about 15 years. I've tried that program twice and been happy I have backups both times. It is completely unnecessary and does just as much harm as good.

Thank you everyone, I will not use this utility. After buying my 16 Inch M1 MacBook Pro, I was watching plenty of YouTube videos to see the reviews and other tips and tricks on my MacBook and I was getting paranoid that in most of the videos containing review and comparison of MacBook's, the speaker talked about CleanMyMac utility (off topic) to promote that product.
Something that I like the most about MacOS, that it doesn't have virus, malware, spywares , so unlike windows, one doesn't need to install those utilities and do the cleaning once or twice a week.

I used Canned Air or the electric duster during the day since it's soooooo loud.

Thank you everyone, I will not use this utility. After buying my 16 Inch M1 MacBook Pro, I was watching plenty of YouTube videos to see the reviews and other tips and tricks on my MacBook and I was getting paranoid that in most of the videos containing review and comparison of MacBook's, the speaker talked about CleanMyMac utility (off topic) to promote that product.
Something that I like the most about MacOS, that it doesn't have virus, malware, spywares , so unlike windows, one doesn't need to install those utilities and do the cleaning once or twice a week.
Macs does get virus, malware and all the crap a PC gets.

Last edited:
Do I need this utility CleanMyMacX for my M1 MacBook Pro 16?
It is generally not necessary to use a third-party cleaning utility like CleanMyMacX on a modern Mac like the M1 MacBook Pro. Apple has designed the operating system to manage system resources and remove unnecessary files automatically, so there is usually no need to use a separate utility to do this.

However, if you feel that your Mac is running slower than it should or if you want to free up some disk space, there are several things you can try before considering a third-party utility like CleanMyMacX:

1. Remove any unused or unnecessary apps from your Mac. This can help free up disk space and improve performance.
  2. Empty the trash. When you delete a file, it is not actually removed from your Mac until you empty the trash.
  3. Manage your startup items. Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items and remove any unnecessary items from the list.
  4. Use the built-in Disk Utility to repair permissions and verify the disk.
  5. Reset the NVRAM (Non-Volatile Random-Access Memory) and SMC (System Management Controller). These are hardware-level settings that can sometimes be reset to help improve performance.
If you have tried these steps and are still experiencing performance issues, it might be worth considering a third-party utility like CleanMyMacX. However, it is important to note that these types of utilities can sometimes cause more problems than they solve, so it is always a good idea to be cautious and do your research before using one.

It is generally not necessary to use a third-party cleaning utility like CleanMyMacX on a modern Mac like the M1 MacBook Pro. Apple has designed the operating system to manage system resources and remove unnecessary files automatically, so there is usually no need to use a separate utility to do this.

However, if you feel that your Mac is running slower than it should or if you want to free up some disk space, there are several things you can try before considering a third-party utility like CleanMyMacX:

1. Remove any unused or unnecessary apps from your Mac. This can help free up disk space and improve performance.
  2. Empty the trash. When you delete a file, it is not actually removed from your Mac until you empty the trash.
  3. Manage your startup items. Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items and remove any unnecessary items from the list.
  4. Use the built-in Disk Utility to repair permissions and verify the disk.
  5. Reset the NVRAM (Non-Volatile Random-Access Memory) and SMC (System Management Controller). These are hardware-level settings that can sometimes be reset to help improve performance.
If you have tried these steps and are still experiencing performance issues, it might be worth considering a third-party utility like CleanMyMacX. However, it is important to note that these types of utilities can sometimes cause more problems than they solve, so it is always a good idea to be cautious and do your research before using one.

My MacBook is less than 2 weeks old, so for now its running smooth. But in an year or so if feel any lag in performance I will try these 5 steps and won't go for any third party utility

My corporate laptop (almost same as yours except with the 2 TB SSD option) slowed down a bit on the transition from 12.6 to 12.6.1. I noticed a bit of performance loss going from one program to another and Finder hanging a bit when opening up more windows. After moving to 12.6.2, all of those issues are gone and it’s back to usual smoothness.

I’ve had the laptop since June, so it’s only a half year old. Corporate uses Microsoft Defender for virus detection and Tanium for hardware statistics and JAMF (the scourge of the Mac world, as far as I’m concerned) for system management. Those programs on my old corporate 2017 Intel MacBook Pro seemed to take up half the resources of the machine but the new one takes it in stride.

I don’t think you’ll notice a huge drop in performance over a year. Just don’t use shady software from unknown sources and you’ll be fine.

Back