Cisco Doubles CEO’s Pay as Profits Soar

"Like a poster previously mentioned, I find it funny how so many bitch and moan about CEO's of multi- billion dollar companies making a few million a year, but have no issue with some asshat who runs up and down a field getting 6 year $100 million dollar contracts, or cookie cutter no tallent pop stars making millions for lip synching their shows. Pure freaking comedy."

Where? And that's an entirely different equation, star athletes actually deliver the product for a sports team. They don't set the vision and work with suppliers, or please stockholders, they are the crucial employees, with middle managers/coaches, and the general manager plus staff above that, and then the owner or top executives. There are billions of revenue dollars coming and it shouldn't mostly go to the owner. Probably the most criticized recent situation is the Pittsburgh Pirates, basically with enough layoffs/salary dumping and revenue-sharing despite poor performance that they turn profits. It's like Madoff, but they will just keep getting money for doing almost nothing. But if they were traded and paid dividends with their profits, they would be encouraged just to tank more.

Artists usually get less than the major labels, really. Funneled to the executives, recording, promotions, and outside the labels (ostensibly) the agents' cut. The top artists like U2 and Springsteen are making the most money off of touring. And I assume Lady Gaga as well, who always sells out the same venues.

Most of the true hate is for CEOs deploying the golden parachute before or during the decline brought on with short-sightedness, or them getting the NEXT plum job after torching another company. When they start low and get the company strong while staying there, i.e. Jobs, the compensation is still enormous but more commensurate and logical.

They do exist to make products, products that in turn, make them profit.. otherwise why not give away their products for free or at cost to make, thus making no money over what they need to operate?

It would be nice if Boeing did some more of its government contracts at cost, especially rendition work or when they went into Iraq for disaster capitalism. I'm not sure if the for-profit air travel model is sustainable, we'll see if the mergers and fee storm can keep their flight revenues above costs and let them deal with maintenance.

And that's an entirely different equation, star athletes actually deliver the product for a sports team.

Look at Apple stock when Steve Jobs left, and look at it when he came back. Think about what happened when he was sick; a lot of investors were worried. There are a lot of other examples of similar situations to a greater or lesser degree. The point being is that in a lot of cases the CEO does deliver the product for a company.

Mostly the product is the product. If they don't release any new products for five years or defects triple, with Jobs as a constant, they would do poorly. If George Clooney became the CEO of Coby or Soyo, it would still be a source of cheap, breakable product.

Do you know the CEO of the ISP you're using?

Like a poster previously mentioned, I find it funny how so many bitch and moan about CEO's of multi- billion dollar companies making a few million a year, but have no issue with some asshat who runs up and down a field getting 6 year $100 million dollar contracts, or cookie cutter no tallent pop stars making millions for lip synching their shows. Pure freaking comedy.

Who says we don't have issue? It simply isn't the current topic of discussion.

Who says we don't have issue? It simply isn't the current topic of discussion.

That said, people that play sports at the highest level, are undeniably at the very very top of talent and physical capability for a certain sport, and it's easy for most people to understand how difficult it is to reach that goal, to win an Olympic gold. Depending on how much importance you attach to sports, it might be worth that much money (literally). As for CEOs, the relation between salary and how good you are at being CEO is not obvious. In fact, I'd go beyond saying that it's not obvious and say that it's sometimes simply good luck that you happened to make a good strategic decision.

Mostly the product is the product. If they don't release any new products for five years or defects triple, with Jobs as a constant, they would do poorly. If George Clooney became the CEO of Coby or Soyo, it would still be a source of cheap, breakable product.

Do you know the CEO of the ISP you're using?

So because sports fans know the names of players, but most people do not know the names of workers producing the products, the players deserve to get paid absurd amounts of money and yet key workers who make a difference on the success of the product do not?

I disagree.

I think sports players get paid what they do because they deliver the wins to the fans. In other words, the person responsible for making the fans (i.e. consumers happy) is the person who should be most greatly rewarded. Does it matter if the player's name is George Colony? No...its just a name fans use to identify with what they want, which is good sports.

As a consumer I know the product names instead of a person's name because that is what I use to identify with what I want. But ask anyone who trades company stocks are who the CEOs are of companies where they have a lot of money invested and I am betting that you will get a detailed biography of the CEO. If I owned shares in my ISP I would know who the CEO is. I bet if you owned a lot of shares in my ISP you would know who the CEO is too.

And the right CEO could turn Soyo or whatever company completely around.

As for CEOs, the relation between salary and how good you are at being CEO is not obvious. In fact, I'd go beyond saying that it's not obvious and say that it's sometimes simply good luck that you happened to make a good strategic decision.

This is a claim that goes against years of evidence and a lot of analysis on the topic.

I suppose I should also say, that there is also evidence that Cyrilix's statement is correct. There is, ultimately, no sure way to prove the statement either way.

Yeah man, if everyone wanted to, everyone could be a CEO! They just don't work hard enough!

An unfortunately common counterpoint to your sarcasm, is that the market will select the most deserving, hardworking, and smartest for these positions, therefore if one does not have a job as a CEO (or whatever) then it is because of one's own shortcomings.

This response of course reeks of market fundamentalism, and as a formal logical fallacy begs the question as to whether current job holders (in general, for any position, ) are deserving of their jobs.

Let's see who will proffer this point of view...

Yeah man, if everyone wanted to, everyone could be a CEO! They just don't work hard enough!

You could be a CEO in a month if you wanted to. Go start your own company. Worked for my father, and I'm going to make it work for me. And if I fail, you won't see me blaming the man.

Sorry, your excuses are weak.

I have worked with coworkers who have that attitude. The ones that have been in their position too long. The ones who fail to realize if they set goals and accomplished anything more than was expected of them... and got rid of their bad attitude, they could move up the ladder.

Lucky me, I never keep them company long.

If you want to be the CEO of a company, nothing is stopping you but yourself. You may not be able to take that position at your current place of employment; it may require working your way into senior management then hopping ladders, but no one said it would be easy or fast.

Even if you're socially inept or otherwise have no desire to enter the corporate culture, you can start your own business. You'll even get TWO titles! Founder and CEO. :p

An unfortunately common counterpoint to your sarcasm, is that the market will select the most deserving, hardworking, and smartest for these positions, therefore if one does not have a job as a CEO (or whatever) then it is because of one's own shortcomings.

This response of course reeks of market fundamentalism, and as a formal logical fallacy begs the question as to whether current job holders (in general, for any position, ) are deserving of their jobs.

Let's see who will proffer this point of view...

Sounds like a bit of poisoning the well tactics to me...:rolleyes:

In a more ideal world, the CEO's compensation should almost purely be tied to the stock performance. So if a stock is flat or loses money, then he should make min. wage for a CEO, say $100k. But if it goes up like gangbusters, say doubles in a year, then he should be compensated with untold millions. This is for Fortune 500 companies. Of course a start-up company that goes 10X in 1 year should not expect to earn a billion dollars when it doesn't even do that much in sales. :D So, scale it up or down as appropriate. ;)

In a more ideal world, the CEO's compensation should almost purely be tied to the stock performance.

Stock price isn't necessarily reflective of how productive and healthy a company. Compensating an employee entirely in be stock performance encourages them to work to drive the stock price up, not to be socially productive.

What does that mean, socially productive?

As in producing something which is useful for society, like a product or a service. It is possible to inflate a stock price without doing either of these things, and some argue that it is not sensible to encourage this behaviour via compensation packages heavily tied to stock options.

Obviously any increases in profit are soley due to his actions, it's not like the employees remaining after layoffs had to work harder or anything to maintain the same level of productivity, but at least they got their 20 cents / year raise right?
I was at a job where I was not happy with my raises. Guess what I did? I put together my resume, applied for a new job and took a position that pays 50% more than my previous job.

I have a bachelor's degree in English, so it's not like I have some absurd degree that enables me to just job hop around and collect a huge paycheck. But I worked hard and I made connections in the industry that benefit me.

If you are at a job where you are not being fairly compensated, find a new job.

If you don't have any options, then A) educate yourself, or B) network.

Stock price isn't necessarily reflective of how productive and healthy a company. Compensating an employee entirely in be stock performance encourages them to work to drive the stock price up, not to be socially productive.
Not all employees, but just C-level positions (CEO, CFO, etc.) and maybe 1 level below that as well, depending on how large the org. chart is.

Upper mgmt., as it is, primarily works quarter-to-quarter, sometimes at the expense of long-term R&D projects. So, might as well compensate them primarily based on that perf.

I don't understand. Because one can start a business, compensation for CEOs of publicly traded companies is ________. Reasonable? Fair? How do those things connect? Millions of people can bootstrap their way to Mark Hurd status?

These CEOs are the founders of these companies? There is no credit shortage for small business owners? These giant companies enjoy economies of scale, global resources/labor, capital from bonds and stocks, R&D into patents and copyrights, and name recognition. Only in a few exceptional cases can new companies get revenues to even equal these compensation levels of $10M, $30M for a CEO.

Maybe a good solution would be to spread this out, if a CEO would get $24M for 2010 then make it payable through 2015. If the company does poorly, then they will make due with the windfall and their base salary or even recoup some of that. It would have been nice if some of those compensations based on the inflated 13,000 DJIA and housing bubble would have to stand up to scrutiny in 2009 and 2010.

Back