Circuit City to Shut Down

Circuit City has always been overpriced.

Their "sales" are actually retail prices minus some jacked-up figure they come up with to make it look like you are getting a deal.

Glad they are going down. I feel bad for the employees, but the consumer ultimately wins this one as another overpriced B&M outfit bites the dust.

I would expect their liquidation sale to go about the same as CrapUSA's did. The liquidators will try to squeeze every penny out of bargain seekers, and won't really offer anything good.
The consumer does not win here, in any sense. This leaves only Best Buy in quite a few major markets. I don't know if you trust Best Buy to remain (lol) competitive and consumer-focused without any competition whatsoever...but I certainly don't.

trust Best Buy to remain...consumer-focused
Remain? As in, they are now? I don't think Best Buy would be (or could be) consumer-focused if it were competing with 8,411 other major electronics retailers :)

Dear Fry's,

Screw Missouri... we have cake.

Sincerely,
Michigan.

128750526686715185.jpg

Dear Fry's,

Screw Missouri... we have cake.

Sincerely,
Michigan.
Dear Fry's

Screw Michigan and Missouri

in this state we have tons of beer and cheese for you, 2 of life's more important pleasures:p

Sincerely,
Wisconsin

My question is when New Egg is taking over the world, why did not they do anything about it? They should have focused on the sales people or pull out from brick and mortar and create a robust online store. Best Buy next?

Dear Fry's

in this state we have tons of beer and cheese for you, 2 of life's more important pleasures:p

Sincerely,
Wisconsin

Dear Fry's,

Screw Michigan, Missouri, Wisconsin, and any other states mentioned that I forgot or any other states that will be mentioned later on in this thread.

Sincerely,

Utah

The only good to come of this will be the blowout sales.
I haven't seen any good store closing sales since the trend of companies selling all the merchandise to a third party to liquidate. The liquidater goes in there an marks everything up > retail, with a discount making it slightly above out the door. Anything that doesn't sell gets shipped out to be sold somewhere else. Only deals to be had are items that can't be shipped, ie the racks and furniture.
Seen this with Compusa, Circuit City (store closing), Linen's n things, and Mervyn's in the last 3 years. I don't even bother going in anymore when I see the standard "up to 20-50%" signs that are common to this liquidator.

Dear Fry's

You can piss off. We have SEARS.

Sincerely, Florida.:D

I can't remember when I last bought anything from an actual store anyway. Newegg FTW!

While from a consumers standpoint it's always sad to see competition dwindling, Circuit City only has themselves to blame for their predicament. They dug their own grave by poor pricing and bad management decisions. The only time I shopped at CC is when I lived in an apartment near one, and even then it was very infrequent.

Anyone hear what will happen to the Canadian "The Source By Circuit City" that converted all of my awesome Radioshacks?

LMAO, I just did instore pickup of an 8GB MemoryStick at 12pm, and now at 5pm the site is no more. :p

Very true to those that see this as not a good thing to the consumers! Along with all the other companies folding! This happened years ago when a lot of other companies started going out of business, creating monopolies! Most places only have a BB and CC so take away one and you only have one left to price as they wish.

Newegg used to be great but I will not order form them anymore! Too many issues including getting clearly refurbished parts when I paid for new ones, (not open box or any crap like that); their shipping has been terrible since they went with UPS; and I have had one too many bad experiences with customer service from there! The only reason I have to go on there now is to look at better pictures of the products. The reviews were helpful some time back, but now the only people who seem to write reviews don't know jack of what they are buying!

Dear Fry's

Sincerely,
Wisconsin

Dear, Fry's

We have tons of beer and snow mobiles :)

Sincerely,
Minnesota

This is the first time I've ever actually been interested in checking out a store liquidation sale. When do the sales liquidation sales typically start?

They probably will have to organize what inventory they'll be selling off over the next week or two. Then they usually start by putting everything back to MSRP, then apply "discounts" starting with 10% off, then a week later 20% off, then a week later 30% off, etc.. Usually the good deals that match regular "newegg prices" don't come until the last week the liquidation is ending. By then, all the good stuff is already gone because people thought they were getting deals.

Dear Fry's,

There will soon be 567 locations to consider for expansion.
How about going nationwide. :D

Sincerely,
The Consumer

Dear Fry's,

There will soon be 567 locations to consider for expansion.
How about going nationwide. :D

Sincerely,
The Consumer
Good idea. :p Except I'd only have 2 or 3 stores maximum in each state. That would help keep prices and overhead lower.

Can't forget about Microcenter too.

I was able to get a Canon camera from CC for $129 around Christmas time that was $149 and $169 everywhere else, so perhaps we'll start seeing blowout prices soon?

perhaps i'm just pessimistic, but I'm not counting on any amazing sales.

I'll bet this will be just like the Comp USA closure...meh meh and hmmm I think I saw that cheaper on newegg.

Dear Fry's, BestBuy, and MicroCenter:

Thanks for being here!

Sincerely,
California

Dear Fry's,

Screw Michigan, Missouri, Wisconsin, and any other states mentioned that I forgot or any other states that will be mentioned later on in this thread.

Sincerely,

Utah

Dear Fry's,

Screw all the states that have been allready mentioned....We have a Microcenter :D.

Sincerely,

Virginia

I worked at circuit for a while and though I feel bad for the workers that have lost their jobs, I know circuit really had this coming. I wonder if the CEO will get his golden parachute.

This sucks for people in HI. There's only one CC on the island and its only real competition was BB. CC and BB are really the only two major electronics suppliers other than all in ones like Sears. Their prices weren't great on big tag items usually but they had good deals on DVDs and Blu-Rays.

I'll never shop at Best Buy again unless it's some smoking deal like another Rocketfish case for $50.. so I hope they go out of business too. Their shitty customer service and insane mark-up deserves to take them under.

Well, you could say the same about CompUSSR and Circuit Shitty...It's only a matter of time til Worst Buy eats one. *here's continued hoping*

Fry's FTW

I haven't seen any good store closing sales since the trend of companies selling all the merchandise to a third party to liquidate. The liquidater goes in there an marks everything up > retail, with a discount making it slightly above out the door. Anything that doesn't sell gets shipped out to be sold somewhere else. Only deals to be had are items that can't be shipped, ie the racks and furniture.
Seen this with Compusa, Circuit City (store closing), Linen's n things, and Mervyn's in the last 3 years. I don't even bother going in anymore when I see the standard "up to 20-50%" signs that are common to this liquidator.

Someone else that realizes this will just be a waste of time (unless you want piddly shit).

Honestly those of you wishing you had a Fry's... Don't. I live in california and I literally don't shop there. I go in look around and walk out empty handed more often than not. cpus can be priced aggressively if you're willing to buy an ECS mobo to go with it. Other than that things are rather lack luster there. Don't even get me started on the videocard selection and pricing. I'm more of a shopper of Microcenter myself. better pricing and selection despite the size.

I'll be happy if Frys stays away from Virginia. I'd rather not pay the tax and we already have two Microcenters here (one is in rockville, md) which have some amazing deals already.

One thing that people are wrongly saying is that best buy will now raise prices. Uhh...have you heard of the internet? If best buy increases there already high prices you can kiss them goodbye. Of course a few things here and there might have been cheap if CC stayed in business but it wasn't going to be out of this pricing anyways so not a big lose.

Posters are also saying they feel bad for employees. Hello? Have you guys actually shopped at CC? Some of the worst employees ever and part of the reason CC is heading where it is. Obviously some were fantastic and I do feel sorry for them/there family but they'll be the first ones to get a job when another store takes citys place so there is still hope.

I was hoping for a new Fry's too but only because the two we do have are 15 miles from my office and 30 miles from my house. I couldn't even imagine not having Fry's and Microcenter around. Microcenter is my hook up for Made in Singapore Verbatim DL discs. Ordering from Newegg you take a chance on getting the Made in India ones which are not as good for some reason.
Damn now that I think about it we have Brandsmart here as well. I got a 449 Onkyo receiver with full HDMI switching for under 200 because they didn't have the remote. I ordered the remote for 20 bucks online from Onkyo. I found it interesting that the 75 watts per channel Onkyo destroyed my old "110 watts" per channel Sony. I think Sony was fibbing about that rating.

CC just didn't impress me, ever. It was a pain in the ass to purchase anything there because of how they had their sales counter set up. Why do I have to track someone down everytime I'm ready to check out? Seriously.

It's never been that busy in the Fort Wayne location, and the prices sucked. It was higher-priced than Best Buy, the selection wasn't that impressive, and it was always poorly lit. I always came away after a purchase wondering why I spent any money at Circuit Shitty.

I'm fine with them going under. Never found a good deal at CC.

Back