Circuit City Jacks Up Prices For Liquidation

No surprise. They were doing that with some items at CompUSA a while back.

Well work has YouTube blocked so I can't see the vid, but this does not surprise me. This seems to the standard nowadays for "liquidation" sales. :(

As the report said "Liquidators are in business to squeeze as much money as possible out of the stores." I bought my last item from them 3 days before they announced they were going out of business for good. That was my last time, I'll ever set foot in a CC.

Not everything is marked up. I know a few people saved a few hundred on Canon lens @ 30% off compared to online stores..

I went to the local CC to look at the Samsung LNA6A650. The first day of the Liquidation the TV was at $1799 sticker, the next day I go back and its 2099. This was the same day BestBuy was selling it for $1449.

Yeah, they are using going out of business to trick people into thinking that the prices are good.

But you know Al Gore invented this call the Internet a while back. I recommend that before you buy anything anywhere simply search the web for other prices. I thought had an iPhone these days and could surf the web like magic anywhere. I could have easily checked prices from WinMo phone I found I was getting ripped off.;)

and having consistently rude and combative sales staff at their stores. Plus on more than one occasion I had a manager tell me they would not honor the prices on the price tags. I am glad they are going out of buisness. Sorry about the people loosing thier jobs, but then again the sales people are a big reason I never shopped there.

In Nashua, NH there is a Circuit City and a Best Buy right next door to one another. So needing a few things I wandered into both stores. I am in the market for the Samsung 52 inch 750 LCD. Best Buy had it for $2099 I wandered into Circuit City and with its "sale" price it was $2299. I saw that with a lot of other items as well. Whats silly is they are trying to pull this with the stores right next to each other and everyone is wandering back and forth between them.

What?!? Consumers should still shop around even during a "liquidation sale"? Say it ain't so.... :rolleyes:

There's a reason it was nicknamed "Suck-It City" so long ago...

But the liquidators will always fuck consumers over, that's a given. Nothing special about this, really.

Picked up a wireless Guitar Hero guitar at Circuit City for $10. The price at Best Buy was $40, the sticker price was $20. You can't just go by the sticker. There are deals to be had, you just need to find them.

CIrcuit City used to be THE PLACE that I would go to for home/car audio....I knew each of the car audio workers by first name at my local store...sucks to see that they let their business go to crap....

It's a shame really. Now Best Buy is unchecked and will certainly suck more.

The CC near me was packed on Saturday. Poor suckers. :p

I found that the first day when the would not Honor the sale price it was marked at and they upped the price and then wanted to give 10% off LOL BURN IN HELL CC

yeah the liquidators are doing this, circuit city already washed its hands of it.

This is how liquidators work, they remove any sales and jack prices to MSRP values or at least assumed values... then they will give their promotional clearance going out of business liquidation sale discounts, which will initially leave the items price a bit above the regular store sale price.

And people eat it like sheep.

Before Best Buy it was the only place around here with a good selection. Then came Best Buy cheaper prices and better staff. Then came newegg.com now I don't go to either but if I have to it BB. CC was way to high before I would hate to see how much they are now.

My brother has a friend who works at circuit city that told him about this. He said something about the prices on items going up more than 10% so even after the 10% off you're not saving any money.

I've stopped by my local Circuit City once a week since the liquidation started and I found nothing worthwhile. Still 10 to 30% off the bloated regular prices. I wouldn't say that it was packed, just a lot more folks than normal. Anyone who's crazy enough to buy stuff at those prices either has way too much money or has never heard of websites like Pricegrabber.com.

Hopefully when the discounts go up, I can get a few nice things before those suckers & bulk-buying eBay vultures grab them 1st.

This seems like liquidation 101 to me, as the exact same thing happened at Computer City when I worked there in 90's.

The best deals actually were when the company knew it was going to liquidation, but had not sealed the deal yet. Basically any of the last minute sales were as bargain as bargain gets because the company was still getting those monies, where once the liquidators took over it was to them lock stock and barrel.

Prices will likely drop on selective items through the entire liquidation process, but not achieve truly fantastic levels until the very end.

Just so you people don't look ignorant, Circuit City is done and gone. These sales are not made by 'Circuit City' as we knew it. Circuit City's inventory is now owned and sold by a liquidator and they are in control of the price, just like CompUSA was. It's pretty much Circuit City in namesake only.

Do what I did, use their display computers to look up the prices at the other stores. The employees at my local CC could care less and I found a savings of $40 on a 22" LCD over Best Buy's prices.

This is why America is the best place to get rich.

there are so many DUMB shoppers here.

nothing new everyone does this, Kmart has been going out of business for like 10 years now and doing this at many of their stores.

Back