Chrome Is Overtaking Firefox Among Power Users?

What browser do you use?

• IE

Votes: 36 6.8%
  • Chrome

Votes: 195 37.0%
  • Firefox

Votes: 272 51.6%
  • Other

Votes: 24 4.6%

• Total voters
When FF gets working HTML5, with performance, and a big jump in general performance I will probably go back... Not to mention stability...
But until that happens, Chrome is probably what I will go with, until something better comes along... Nope, I'm not very browser-loyal, when something better comes along I go with it...

Firefox already supports HTML5 i thought? It also has working GPU acceleration for that too.

@forcefed
600 tabs is sort of an extreme edge case don't you think?

I have 20+ tabs opened at all times and that seems to be more than what most people use. It also requires the use of Tree Style Tabs to properly organize (which Chrome lacks).

I go back and forth. I like the speed and simplicity of Chrome better but I like the looks and toys of Firefox. Ill use Chrome for several months at a stretch then switch over to Firefox for a few months just to have some different scenery.

Tried Safari and Opera and didnt really like them all that much.

@forcefed
600 tabs is sort of an extreme edge case don't you think?

Extreme yes, but it shows you just how robust chrome is in handling this amount of tabs. While i don't open 800 tabs everyday, i do open enough of them at the same time where firefox simply becomes unusable while chrome keeps chugging along using all my cores. Hence the article, power users prefer chrome not mom and pop.

Dang it I wish I could change my vote to Chrome now, lol.
Sorry but after using Chrome for the last 2 days I gotta say that it does seem to be faster than FF. To bad, cause I've always loved FF. Oh well time marches on.

Mozilla Firefox

Must-have add-ons:
Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus: Element Hiding Helper
Flashblock
HTTPS Everywhere
NoScript
QuickJava

Must have theme:
Classic Compact

I have all plugins disabled except for Shockwave Flash and Adobe Acrobat (as a must-have plugin configuration).

Additional optional/preference add-ons (can live without):
ColorZilla
CSS Usage (for Firebug)
DownloadHelper
Firebug
FireFTP
KeeFox
RefControl
Screengrab
Torbutton (must have if regular Tor user)

Until other browsers can accurately and precisely meet my must-have's, Mozilla Firefox is my queen.

Also, if only Mozilla Firefox would have GPO Management, AD, and remote/central server management capabilities, that would top it off all the way. :) Unfortunately its developers apparently don't see the value in this (shame on them).

Ohhh my. That is going to #everyone, tomorrow.

Never seen that before? It's been around for ages but that's the thing about Windows and IE jokes, they've not aged well as both have improved considerably, the jokes not so much. Geeks around places like this of course love to rag on IE but much of the less techy crowd that used to grab FF right of the bat have stopped, I know tons that started using as IE 8 in Windows 7 and haven't looked back. Most people don't really give a shit about a ton of addons that make a browser unstable often times anyway.

I actually have been using FF 4 beta because of the speed on my Tablet PCs, the rendering speed REALLY makes a difference on this platform but IE 9 is even better than that. Some are saying that Chrome 7 is even a lot faster, will have to try that out but so far IE 9 is working great for me very solid and fast and VERY smooth scrolling and decent zooming on my W100 on most sites. IE 9 is going to make Mozzila's and Google's job tougher on Windows, most people won't have any need to ever touch another browser for security or performance reasons for a while, unless Microsoft falls asleep with browsers again and I don't think that can afford to anymore.

Extreme yes, but it shows you just how robust chrome is in handling this amount of tabs. While i don't open 800 tabs everyday, i do open enough of them at the same time where firefox simply becomes unusable while chrome keeps chugging along using all my cores. Hence the article, power users prefer chrome not mom and pop.

What kind of machine are you using it on that FF becomes unusable? For the hell of it, I opened 25 tabs in firefox (3.6.7) and it's only using 128mb of ram and about 1-5% cpu.

Did you have a bunch of plugins installed or something?

should have an option for opera as well (other for me then)

i use opera for the keep tab support and ram use is not so bad when you got 80 tabs open (900mb at the moment norm 400mb with 40 tabs but been busy with lots of extra pages open and opera has not been closed for more then 3-4 days) opera has been very stable for me more so the 10.x as i do not think i have had an crash on it

i could not use firefox, does not work so well when an crash happens or addons are on (uses stupid amount of ram in some cases) and even when no adons are on 3-4 pages seem to eat alot of ram up

i use chrome as my default browser in windows but only for things like clicking on links from MSN or other chat programs as i norm do not want to keep them (Opera is my Norm use browser) good thing with Chrome is if an tab crashes it does not take out every page Down side each tab has its own process so ram use can get bit large when lots of tabs are open (norm when flash is playing it can use an tad amount of ram)

at least Chrome gives you an task manager so you can see what's doing what be nice if firefox (if its usable for muti tab support use due to ram usage) or opera i love to have an task manager so you can see what tab is making the cpu use issues (99% of the time it is Flash that is making the issue)

Chrome is nice and simple as far as layout goes, but I'm still a firefox user. I refuse to use Chrome due to the fact that you cannot dock your bookmarks on the side like IE or FF. I like to be able to just middle mouse click on a few links and have them open up in tabs. With chrome, you middle click on a link and the bookmark menu goes away. That is really retarded...

true. i've gone to chrome, safari but always go back to firefox or opera because of the bookmarks sidebar.
in every other aspect chrome is better but I just can't use a browser without the bookmarks sidebar on my widescreen.

I absolutely love Firefox. It is very stable for me and I'm a heavy tab user.

The current add-ons that I'm using:
ABP 1.2.2
ABP 1.0.6
Easy Youtube Video Downloader 3.6
Generic chrom CSS loader
Tree Style Tab (omg love it so much)

Theme:
Black Stratini 2.1

Using Chrome... FireFox as well, but firefox is minimal. Chrome has google voice, in case I need it, embedded.

I switched from Firefox to Chrome for daily use some months ago. I still use Firefox (w/ Firebug) for testing web pages though. I still think Firefox is OK. And pretty much any WebKit-based browser is OK.

What kind of machine are you using it on that FF becomes unusable? For the hell of it, I opened 25 tabs in firefox (3.6.7) and it's only using 128mb of ram and about 1-5% cpu.

Did you have a bunch of plugins installed or something?

It becomes unusable, as in it almost freezes, when you open a lot of tabs at the same time using the snap links plugin. Snap links allows you to highlight every link that you move your mouse over and open it in a new tab.
If you open a new tab one by one obviously there's no issues, but if you open dozens of tabs at the same time then it starts to pause, kinda like when your reading and writing stuff to the hard drive at the same time with multiple apps, those kind of pauses.

i should copy my opera config to my laptop thats not running an SSD see how it handles 50 tabs opening at the same time (takes about 10 seconds on my system) when i did not have an SSD Superfetch was mad with opera (as long as superfetch had enough time to run to fill the ram up first) opera would load up like my SSD would as all the contents of the cache is loaded up in ram

think i am CPU limited with 50 tabs opening but i can still use the tabs that are all ready loaded no pausing, Opera Seems that it is Single threaded app not mutithreaded but really i do no notice that limitation and it also means it can hog all the system CPU speed (then again my sytem is Quite fast but i used it on laptop and desktop at my friends house and seems to work very well even with 20 pages open)

3 things are vital for me.
1- Adblock plus works.
2- My bookmarks sync across every computer I use.
3- I am able to have my bookmark bar (see image below).

I would use Chrome, but would I can't get those to working to the same level as I can on Firefox. Until Chrome really gets their interface together and has the same addons as firefox, I have no reason to change.

capturesc.png

I had to try out chrome since everyone who uses it claims that its wayyy faster than firefox... I couldn't tell a difference between the two.. I browsed on forums, facebook, and youtube.

Yeah.. Firefox... Some Chrome usage. But it just comes to whichever is faster for me. Chrome and Firefox are the leaders for sure though.

I'm using chrome 98% of the time.
Firefox wins in features, but chrome feels more natural and intuitive from the ground up.

Firefox's UI just seems very clunky and 'beta'-ish in comparison regardless of customizations.

For instance, I can't get over how firefox selects a tab on the mouse-click release, where chrome by default selects a tab on the mouse-click. Or how separating a tab into a window will create the window right on top of the old one whereas chrome opens the window wherever you drag the tab.
I remember when I first used chrome and it asked if I wanted to save my password 'after' the successful login, I was thinking how stupid it was that firefox did it the other way around.
I also think chrome's gui looks a lot cleaner than any of the firefox themes out there.

i'm also trying to get a feel for opera atm. I feel like its almost a middle-ground between chrome and firefox and I haven't found anything wrong with it. For some reason though, I'm having a hard time getting used to it and keep reverting to chrome.

Firefox on desktop/netbook, IE on laptop, Safari on Macbook

I tried Chrome once back in Beta and it didnt seem that great, but then again it WAS beta, as since it's the same core itea as Safari (webkit) It should be good... but I already have everything set up in IE/FF esp Xmarks for syncing all my bookmarks between 3 devices...

Used Opera on my PDA/SP until I found Skyfire. Will probably end up with Chrome on it since I'm moving to Google's Android platform as soon as SERO can upgrade and Im bettering Chrome is pre-installed on Android devices.

noscripts is available on chrome. Don't know why people are saying it isn't

3 things are vital for me.
1- Adblock plus works.
2- My bookmarks sync across every computer I use.
3- I am able to have my bookmark bar (see image below).

I would use Chrome, but would I can't get those to working to the same level as I can on Firefox. Until Chrome really gets their interface together and has the same addons as firefox, I have no reason to change.

capturesc.png
1 - No comment.
2 - Chrome does this extremely well.
3 - See image below.

imageni.png

1 - No comment.
2 - Chrome does this extremely well.
3 - See image below.

imageni.png

I love how you put Firefox on the far right of that shot to compare the size of the UI. Another thing I love about Chrome is pressing ctrl-b hides that bookmark bar.

Moar workspace!

apart form no script or any addons for that matter {as its not needed} Opera can Sync book marks (wish it would Sync the tabs as well) and takes the same space as Chrome

book marks not so important to me as i tend to leave all the pages open in opera or use Speed dial

i really should look at what opera has i have not bothered to look at what it comes with as i never needed to mess with it as it does have some cool things i not used like the side bar on the left

Opera with its persistent Muti tab support works perfectly for me

only thing i mess with is blocking intellitext type domains as they make opera Stop or stutter when the Script scans the pages to spam intellitext on the words and even then they some times do not popup on mouse move over, wish i could block them on my mobile when i use opera mini

tried Firefox to many times seems to just use ram up to fast and not release it and the muti tab support is More for Recovery when Firefox crashes an it will

As I write this, it’s a typical Sunday here at Xmarks. The synchronization service continues operating quietly, the servers chugging along syncing browser data for our 2 million users across their 5 million desktops. The day isn’t over yet, but we’re on track to add just under 3000 new accounts today.

Tomorrow, however, will hardly be anything but typical, for tomorrow one of our engineers will start a script that will email each of our users to notify them that we’ll be ceasing operations in around 90 days.

This post attempts to summarize the Xmarks story: how we got to be the most heavily used browser synchronization service in the world and yet still find ourselves pulling the plug.

This will probably sway me to try Chrome again. I have 4 systems that I use and its important to me to have all their bookmarks synced.

I use firefox primarily but do use chrome from time to time.

I do love firefox for its plugins (chatZilla [needed for manga stuff], Download statusbar [I don't like Chrome's download manager], IE Tab Plus [would be great to have so I don't need to open IE], Tab Mix Plus [not needed in Chrome as it already has duplicate tab by default which I just found out], Minimalist Gmail).

I do love chrome for its simplistic look, the paste and go feature (I wish firefox had this - although I realize it is quicker to do it via keyboard shortcuts but an awesome feature nonetheless), and I actually like how Chrome does its bookmarks feature where the rest of the bookmarks are on the same line as the bookmarks toolbar. It beats having to go to the bookmarks folder in the menu line. I don't like the bookmarks sidebar like firefox has it. I generally keep a browser on one half of the screen and if the bookmarks sidebar is enabled in firefox, it takes up space. That's all I can think of for now.

Im quite surprised by all of the posts from people that basically say the world would end without things like Adblock, NoScript etc. I agree they are nice but never felt them to be a necessity. Yall crazy paranoid or something?

I really, really like the simple clean interface of chrome... and its wicked quick!

Unfortunately, there are a ridiculous amount of custom web apps out there that simply dont work right on anything but IE. I run into it all the time at work.

Id say I switch inbetween all 3 quite a bit.

Im quite surprised by all of the posts from people that basically say the world would end without things like Adblock, NoScript etc. I agree they are nice but never felt them to be a necessity. Yall crazy paranoid or something?

I agree, but because of this thread I tried out Adblock and it is wayy nice. It's awesome that I'm not being tempted anymore by the sexy girl adds on Piratebay. However, I think NoScript isn't necessary to have.

Firefox is the best overall. All kinds of plugins on top of the major ones. I have tons of plugins installed that are not available on other browsers. I never use to be into plugins but now its crucial as it helps me with cutting time by clicking less. Its the small plugins that count. The personas options in firefox is good also. I use to use anycolor plugin for customizing firefox looks but now personas is the best. Features is what counts and user generated content.

Finally made a bit more permanent switch to Chrome since it now syncs with my google account all my bookmarks and settings so all I have to do is install Chrome, log in and everything is already set up. If you want NoScript, its build into Chrome>>Options>>Under the Hood>>Content Settings. Wish there was a 64bit version and the 64bit Flash BETA wasn't so buggy, I'll give 'em time.

Switched to Chrome earlier this year from IE and will never go back ... difference in speed was remarkable. Unfortunately standard load at work is still (inexplicably) IE6 :mad:

Back