Chrome Blocking Cryptojacking Extensions

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
In a post on the Chromium Blog, Extensions Platform manager, James Wagner has announced that they are no longer accepting extensions that mine cryptocurrency. Previously the Chrome web store permitting extensions that mined Cryptocurrency, provided that that was the extension's single purpose, and it adequately informed users of it's behavior. Unfortunately the post states that 90% of extensions with mining scripts failed to comply.

How did it take them this long? And why is it still taking them until June to remove the mining extensions? Can't just have Chrome eating all your memory, it's gonna take those CPU cycles too.

The extensions platform provides powerful capabilities that have enabled our developer community to build a vibrant catalog of extensions that help users get the most out of Chrome. Unfortunately, these same capabilities have attracted malicious software developers who attempt to abuse the platform at the expense of users. This policy is another step forward in ensuring that Chrome users can enjoy the benefits of extensions without exposing themselves to hidden risks.

Apple Safari, don't fail me now. Internet Explorer is my backup. Nothing is for free.

How did it take them this long? And why is it still taking them until June to remove the mining extensions?

Definitely odd when it seems like the norm for various entities to call each other out so regularly now. I wonder if these extensions were already being used by google/chrome for something else they're not admitting to and they needed time to switch to a different plan.

Back