Christopher Nolan Urges Fans to Watch Films in Cinemas, Not Netflix

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Nolan is one of those guys who refuses to shoot on anything other than film, so it is no surprise that he continues to champion the traditional theatrical experience with such thoughts. Too bad that also means cell phones going off, people chomping on popcorn, poorly calibrated sound systems, and teens laughing at everything. I see nothing wrong with releasing a film exclusively on a streaming service.

Nolan made his comments during a presentation of his second world war drama Dunkirk, at which he previewed footage from the film. “This is a story that needs to carry you through the suspenseful situation, and make you feel like you are there, and the only way to do that is through theatrical distribution,” Nolan told the audience. “I am depending and relying on all of you to try to present this film in the best way possible.” Nolan’s comments came just moments after Sue Kroll, worldwide marketing and distribution president for Warner Bros, the studio behind Dunkirk, had described the rise of on demand streaming as “an opportunity” for the industry.

I agree, there is nothing quite like a good cinema experience. I go to the Alamo Drafthouse exclusively and have not had a single bad experience with talking, phones, bad audio, or even kids (because they brilliantly do not allow anyone under 18 at all). Not to mention they serve booze and good stuff too.

It's all about finding the right theater.

Is AMC black mailing him or is he just another Tarantino? I have a $8K home theater setup to enjoy my movies at home, not in a cramped, overpriced, uncomfortable environment.

Is AMC black mailing him or is he just another Tarantino? I have a $8K home theater setup to enjoy my movies at home, not in a cramped, overpriced, uncomfortable environment.

With a setup like that I'd imagine you consume Blu-Ray media and not streaming service media exclusively. I think Nolan's point is that streamed versions of movies are bastardized versions of the original. Any kind of compression, be it visual or auditory, is butchering the original conception of the film.

I think that HIS movies are certainly worth the cost and the experience.

Now as to why Netflix thinks that Adam Sandler is even worth direct to streaming is another matter.

With a setup like that I'd imagine you consume Blu-Ray media and not streaming service media exclusively. I think Nolan's point is that streamed versions of movies are bastardized versions of the original. Any kind of compression, be it visual or auditory, is butchering the original conception of the film.

I actually don't mind watching the Netflix Originals. They stream in 4K and look pretty damn good. These days I tend to wait for 4K releases on movies I really want to watch rather than buying BR. What the fuck are you doing Disney!?

Disagree. You can spend $600 on a 120 inch projector, and $5k on a kick ass home theater - and blow away any theater experience right from the comfort of your own home.

I would go to the cinema if it wasnt RIDICULOUSLY expensive, was a good movie experience and they controlled noise + phone pollution.
They need to make it worth the time, parking and basic expense. Not even close. The opposite. They even offer shite food and charge the world for it.
I watched one film at the cinema last year, the new Star Wars and the sound was fucked up.
Deep bass was missing entirely. Probably because the other screens stole the woofers, they were constantly heard over the sound track.
I'm looking forward to watching it again at home which is what I should have waited for in the first place.

Building a home cinema with projector and an awesome sound system is one of my best ever decisions for a whole slew of reasons.
I've gone one step further and added a 1KW seat shaker, all round better experience :)
Its essentially free when avoiding what they charge for a group.
And I can make a party out of it.
TV and PC gaming is awesome.

Cinemas are their own death, they must compete with the home cinema experience and even make it a worthwhile in the first place!
Otherwise there will be more home cinema converts.
Serves them right.
Sad loss of what used to make for a great day out. Grrr.

I agree, there is nothing quite like a good cinema experience.
Spoken like someone that hasn't installed an ATMOS surround system and projector screen in their living room yet. Nothing quite like Mad Max with your pants off.

*oh snap, speaking of, I need to update my sig, I have new hardware for ages now including a better projector*

There are always holdouts.

I suggest christopher nolan communicate using regular post, use a celluloid film camera, ride in a horse carriage, and go to another continent in a steam ship.

Or he can get on with the times and stop bitching.

Hes not talking about people with proper home theater equipment.

He's talking about the masses with a bing bang chinese TV from Costco with 2Watt squeakers and Netflix built in. And he's got a point. Watching a great film on peashooter video/audio is like listening to your favorite CD on a $10 mono bluetooth speaker.

Spoken like someone that hasn't installed an ATMOS surround system and projector screen in their living room yet. Nothing quite like Mad Max with your pants off.

*oh snap, speaking of, I need to update my sig, I have new hardware for ages now including a better projector*

Why Mad Max and why pants off, is there a correlation I am missing?

... good cinema experience. I go to the Alamo Drafthouse exclusively ...

I too only go to the Alama Drafthouse since last year when they finally opened one in my city. You can find me there every week either watching something new or some of their specialty shows. Personally, I love the whole cinema experience, and I am grateful to have such an awesome movie theater near me.

Now all I need is a Microcenter...

I like the experience in theory, but I usually end up frustrated with how the theater is maintained or the other people causing disturbances around.

We got a new, really nice theater that has a bar and everything, but it's just not all that well kept lately. Last couple of times we ended up cleaning up after the people who sat there before us.

Same oled tv with a nice sound system and nice chair is much better then a movie on a crap screen and sound that is stupid high db then you have all the people that wont shut up or play on their phone and crap.

Why Mad Max and why pants off, is there a correlation I am missing?
Until I can think of some witty gay innuendo, I'll just say that because MM is one of the best Atmos movies out there, and as Pee Wee can tell you, pants-down movie watching is something you shouldn't do in a public theater.

At home I do whateva' I want... including bathroom breaks, in case you're watching LOTR extended edition.

I would go to the cinema if it wasnt RIDICULOUSLY expensive, was a good movie experience and they controlled noise + phone pollution.
They need to make it worth the time, parking and basic expense. Not even close. The opposite. They even offer shite food and charge the world for it.
I watched one film at the cinema last year, the new Star Wars and the sound was fucked up.
Deep bass was missing entirely. Probably because the other screens stole the woofers, they were constantly heard over the sound track.
I'm looking forward to watching it again at home which is what I should have waited for in the first place.

Building a home cinema with projector and an awesome sound system is one of my best ever decisions for a whole slew of reasons.
I've gone one step further and added a 1KW seat shaker, all round better experience :)

Cinemas are their own death, they must compete with the home cinema experience and even make it a worthwhile in the first place!
Serves them right.
Can not like this enough. Even a half ass home theater is better than going to the cinema now a days for basically every reason in the above quote.

And if he is talking about Netflix streaming yeah thats a joke on a couple of fronts.
-- Their movie selection is piss poor. Has always been piss poor. Will always be piss poor.
-- They seam to have a hardon jacking video resolutions (4k and crap) and bitrates but are they not still only Dolby Digital? No DTS/DTS-MA/DTS-True Audio/Atmos? I think your average person has a higher chance of DTS receiver than a 4k TV.

I actually don't mind watching the Netflix Originals. They stream in 4K and look pretty damn good. These days I tend to wait for 4K releases on movies I really want to watch rather than buying BR. What the fuck are you doing Disney!?

If you have an 8k setup you should be getting the blu-rays, although they are still behind (looking at you Dolby Atmos! although it's still nifty without native track). This is assuming you have an adequate enough sound setup to tell the difference.

Maybe if his movies were better he wouldn't have to rely on some extra fancy "theatrical" experience to win people over...

(I just find his movies rather dull when it comes to story/characters)

If you have an 8k setup you should be getting the blu-rays, although they are still behind (looking at you Dolby Atmos! although it's still nifty without native track). This is assuming you have an adequate enough sound setup to tell the difference.

Andrew Jones Pioneer system I picked up on sale last year. I have it setup in 5.1 with 2 height satellites. I recently picked up a new receiver with Atmos support but haven't gotten around to it yet. The plan is to swap the heights to the rear for 7.1 and eventually get the Atmos setup. The only movies I bother to watch on BR are usually Sci-Fi flicks and War movies. The new Chromecast Ultra actually does 5.1 on netflix which is nice, but not like you really have a choice with Netflix Originals. My theater room isn't really built acoustically so the plan is to eventually buy a new home and remodel one of the rooms into a proper theater.

Fuck off, my viewing experience in my home is superior to a cinema in every possible way.
Yet easily 90% of people as previously mentioned have a $400 TV with built in speakers, and a decent theater would generally be considered capable of providing a better experience.

The problem is that most theaters include a host of other bullshit to put up with. Yeah, there's the Alamo Draft House, but those aren't everywhere. Locally I've got probably a dozen theaters within an hour drive... and only 1 of them has decent seating with the rest being the crappy plastic frame folding chair with a crappy seat cushion like every theater has had for 30+ years. Not to mention the kids who won't shut up, the cellphone users, that one guy who always has to get up and piss 5 times during the movie either making your entire row get up or the row in front of you has to stand up and get in the way so he can get by.

I was inadvertently at this last night. I should have tried to get an [H] exclusive to see how he felt about Ryzen.

Yet easily 90% of people as previously mentioned have a $400 TV with built in speakers, and a decent theater would generally be considered capable of providing a better experience.

The problem is that most theaters include a host of other bullshit to put up with. Yeah, there's the Alamo Draft House, but those aren't everywhere. Locally I've got probably a dozen theaters within an hour drive... and only 1 of them has decent seating with the rest being the crappy plastic frame folding chair with a crappy seat cushion like every theater has had for 30+ years. Not to mention the kids who won't shut up, the cellphone users, that one guy who always has to get up and piss 5 times during the movie either making your entire row get up or the row in front of you has to stand up and get in the way so he can get by.

I finally saw a show in a Dolby Atmos theater and I will say, it'd be hard (expensive) to top that at home. Standard theaters, not so much.

Don't get me wrong. Just because I love a good theater experience doesn't mean I'm anti-At-Home-Entertainment. If I could afford a fully decked out home theater set up I would but seeing as I don't own a home and I'll be renting for the foreseeable future, it's not something I have the luxury to indulge in. Once I get myself a home you bet ya I would go all-in on something like that as it is something of a hobby of mine, good audio setups.

Having said that however, I still would go to a good theater for the mere fact that I don't have to wait for an at home release of certain movies. There's also something oddly special and social about being at a theater and experiencing gasps, laughs, or strange suspense in a theater full of people together. It's a great experience that I wouldn't do without even if I had a great home theater set up.

Too bad that also means cell phones going off, people chomping on popcorn, poorly calibrated sound systems, and teens laughing at everything.

Where do you people live where theatre goers are like this?

In the past.. oh 20 years I have never once had a bad experience at a theatre.

One of the ones near where I live.. that is also the cheapest for new releases even has nice electric reclining leather chairs. They spent about a million redoing that theatre. So much win.

The sound in that theatre is awesome as well. Less than $7 to go to that one.

And even the "dollar" theatre has really good screens and sound. Not near as cushy, but definitely worth it to go watch movies there, especially since it is less than $3.

Granted, I don't go to the theatre all that often, but I've never once had a problem with people talking on their cell phones, being loud, poor sound, or anything else that would make me not want to go back.

I also NEVER buy the overpriced drinks or snacks at a theatre.

I have zero issue catching a reasonably priced matinée while the woman smuggles snacks in her purse.

But Friday night IMAX + movie snack-rape.... Super-pass!

Although, Movie Studio Bar & Grill is definitely a guilty pleasure I enjoy from time to time.

(anywhere I can score chips & salsa, watch a flicker, and justify to the lady that buying a pitcher is more economical than buying 2 beers: That's a win.)

I hate directors that try to prop up film. Cinemas are fine and I go to them. In fact I consistently go to the amc prime theater with laser projection and reclinging seats for a hefty premium for all the top flight movies I want to see since that is how they can be best presented. But film needs to DIE. It typically has a nasty film grain effect, and even directors that shoot with digital cameras are often putting HIDEOUS film grain onto the screen. Iron Fist looked TERRIBLE. I streamed in HDR mode on my sony tv, and when they had a close up of Dany Rands face, it looked like it was being bombarded with radiation for all the static that was dancing about on his skin. The entire show looked like a high iso night shot with noise for days, EVEN in WELL LIT DAYLIGHT SCENES !!!!

An absolute abomination. Contrast that to the expanse that was also shot on a red digital camera, and that show, because the director was NOT an asshole, did not put that trashy film grain into the series. Go buy an hd epsiode for season 2 on amazon and stream it. It streams in high bitrate 1080p and looks absolutely PRISTINE !!!!!

That is what digital capture allows, that is what I want, and film can't give that. In its worst incarnation, the walking dead shot on 16mm film is the ugliest show in all of television.

I prefer to not have to deal with rude, obnoxious and sick people in the theater, in their cockroach infested seats.

Watching it on a home theater is well worth the wait for the bluray.

Nolan is my favorite director. I pity those that didn't watch Interstellar or Inception in theater.
Unless you're [H] and have a home theater then you are excused from my criticism.

Amen.

Interstellar, Inception, and The Prestige were all TOP NOTCH.

I

Serves them right.

I frequent a local theatre where the seats are the nice reclining ones. The sound is always just right, and the picture is fantastic. Never had any issues with people being dicks (pulling out their phones, talking, etc.). It's only $10 too, which is throw-away/insignificant money to me, for a great experience.

Definitely sucks to have your local theatre be a shit-show though.

I prefer to not have to deal with rude, obnoxious and sick people in the theater, in their cockroach infested seats.

Watching it on a home theater is well worth the wait for the bluray.

True Story, I was in a theater near a front railing with a sort of mini counter with a clear plastic barrier above it. And while the previews were playing I noticed a roach walking along the counter by the illuminated screen. Very unsettling. I was not about to stand up and smash its guts in the theater so I just let it walk past my view.

I

I frequent a local theatre where the seats are the nice reclining ones. The sound is always just right, and the picture is fantastic. Never had any issues with people being dicks (pulling out their phones, talking, etc.). It's only $10 too, which is throw-away/insignificant money to me, for a great experience.

Definitely sucks to have your local theatre be a shit-show though.

Yeah, we just moved into a new area and theaters are clean with big comfy reclining seats. Also T-mobile and AT&T giving us free and discounted tickets on Tuesdays makes it even better. Easy date time with the wife.

Well theaters also compress movies... shocker right. As much as Nolan may love film there are no theaters anywhere anymore with actual film projectors. Sure they may be using digital projectors worth hundreds of thousands but they are still digital and they are still not feeding them pure uncompressed input. :)

Streaming today for the most part may be using inferior or heavier compression. That however will change. Blu ray is a set format that can't change... that is its weakness. Disc formats are always the best choice when the format is new... over time not so much. Streaming can adapt to every new bit of tech and expand to take up every bit of pipe thrown at it. That services like Netflix are as good as they are today is an idea we laughed at (we all did) 10 years ago.

10 years from now... at this point I am inclined to bet on the technology instead of against it. Studios themselves are streaming movies to theaters for their digital projectors... the only difference is the size of the files. So I do believe over the next number of years streaming will be capable of that same theater level quality.

Last edited:
The GF and I go to early sunday showings or 4pm on a week day... Usually a very good experience in my area.

Back