Choosing a small rack cabinet for a home office

idea

Gawd
Hey guys, I've decided I want to build a rack cabinet to house my equipment. Has anyone done this before? No more tower cases and cables all over the room. I need at least 12U and full-depth to handle long server cases. Noise is probably going to be an issue but I'm ignoring it for now, hoping I could research quieter fans and sound deadening materials later on

I found an amazing deal on eBay. New 12U 19" Rackmount Server Cabinet w/Casters - 35" deep. Brand new for $279.99 shipped to your door. Nothing fancy or anything but it will do the job. I can't find any reviews on it other than this one. The manufacturer of the cabinet is the eBay seller himself, going by the name "rackmountgears".

I would love one of those specialty racks that are designed for a small office. They are nice looking and are designed for noise reduction and maybe even come with a PDU. They tend to be VERY expensive new, but you can find a good deal on craigslist once in a while. Some examples of these are APC NetShelter CX or XRackPro2 Noise Reduction Enclosure

I'd probably mount everything in the front, or maybe relocate the 1U switches to the rear
Code:
1U network switch
1U SAN switch
4U NAS server (maybe I can squeeze this into 2U)
4U ESXi server (maybe I can squeeze this into 2U)
2U UPS
--
12U TOTAL

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey guys, I've decided I want to build a rack cabinet to house my equipment. Has anyone done this before? No more tower cases and cables all over the room. I need at least 12U and full-depth to handle long server cases. Noise is probably going to be an issue but I'm ignoring it for now, hoping I could research quieter fans and sound deadening materials later on

I found an amazing deal on eBay. New 12U 19" Rackmount Server Cabinet w/Casters - 35" deep. Brand new for $279.99 shipped to your door. Nothing fancy or anything but it will do the job. I can't find any reviews on it other than this one. The manufacturer of the cabinet is the eBay seller himself, going by the name "rackmountgears".

I would love one of those specialty racks that are designed for a small office. They are nice looking and are designed for noise reduction and maybe even come with a PDU. They tend to be VERY expensive new, but you can find a good deal on craigslist once in a while. Some examples of these are APC NetShelter CX or XRackPro2 Noise Reduction Enclosure

I'd probably mount everything in the front, or maybe relocate the 1U switches to the rear
Code:
1U network switch
1U SAN switch
4U NAS server (maybe I can squeeze this into 2U)
4U ESXi server (maybe I can squeeze this into 2U)
2U UPS
--
12U TOTAL
not a bad idea i may do the same. I'm getting tired of this 36U in my room

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have done this. My rack is even bolted down into the foundation my house is on. I went with a full 47u rack though. Honestly I would go for something bigger as you will already be using up almost the entire rack from the get go. If you could already fill up 12u i would look at getting at least a half rack (12u). Also with extra space and stuff you can have a patch panel, extra power strips, etc...

I have a room dedicated to my rack which helps with the noise. Here is a vid of my rack running if your interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL0xC7H7naY

I would continue scouring craigslist for a server rack.

Picked up two 48U rackmount enclosures for $50 + 500gb drive + 160gb drive. All you need is a way to move the damn things.

Back