Choir Performs Baba Yetu from the Civilization IV Soundtrack on America's Got Talent

cageymaru

Fully [H]
The Angel City Chorale performed Grammy award winning song, Bab Yetu, from the Civilization soundtrack on America's Got Talent. Two time Grammy winning composer Christopher Tin took home the award in 2011 when Baba Yetu struck gold in the Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocals category. The Guinness Book of World Records recognized it as the first video game to win a Grammy.

His song 'Baba Yetu', a Swahili setting of The Lord's Prayer, is a modern choral standard, fusing together infectious melody and gospel rhythms with complex modulations and soaring orchestration. It was the winner of the 2011 Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocals, and is one of the all-time best selling choral octavos for Alfred Publishing, as well as being one of the most frequently performed contemporary choral pieces. Originally written as the theme song for the video game 'Civilization IV', it cemented its place in history when the Guinness Book of World Records recognized it as the first piece of music written for a video game ever to win a Grammy.

they are legit good that one of the best acts that i have seen on that show

IMO what makes AGT so special compared to other reality TV is that it provides that door for people with real talent to show themselves to the public. They may not have the resources or connections to go through the major studios or other production agencies. Even those who do not win AGT come out as winners because their name is out there now. One in particular I remember is iLuminate from season 6. They came in third but I have heard of numerous shows they have done across the USA since AGT including one at Six Flags over Texas.

Baba Yetu was a great song. First video game music ever to win a grammy.

The theme songs for Civ V werent nearly as memorable, but the current one for Civ 6, also written by Christopher Tin, named Sogno Di Volare is pretty damned good too.

Holy crap, that was amazing. I never like Africa covers because they have nothing to offer to the flawless original, but this one was great. Looking into it, it seems they got the idea from a choir called Perpetuum Jazzile, but they improved it significantly.

This was my introduction to the Angel City Chorale.

i always feel as if the audience have much better acoustics cause anytime i catch a portion of this show on tv or computer, it always sounds rather ordinary (no, concert videos sounds great on my simple setup though)

now, those acts with some physicality, those can be enjoyed rightfully

Man I hate this song. Not because it is bad, in fact it is excellent, but because once you hear it it plays in your head for days. So thanks HardOCP, now I've got to kill this zombie earworm again. :banghead:

Baba Yetu was a great song. First video game music ever to win a grammy.

The theme songs for Civ V werent nearly as memorable, but the current one for Civ 6, also written by Christopher Tin, named Sogno Di Volare is pretty damned good too.

the music for the Civ games have always been pretty top notch. which is good if you play the game to death and listen to it over and over and over.. LOL

I'm guessing the producer of the show had a heart attack. Can you imagine how much they have to spend for hotels now?
Except they're from Los Angeles (hence the "Angel City") and a quick google indicates the live shows for this show will be filmed in (not shockingly) Los Angeles.

Ahh the good ol' Baba Yetu, one of the best if not the best game soundtrack. :) I just kept opening up Civ 4 to hear the track. I prefer the ingame lead singing artist by far as his prononciation is far more complete and nuanced but otherwise pretty decent version (the slight physical formations slightly helped at the end). With this soundtrack even with a average performance you are likely going to succeed to leave an impression to the audience and it's only us gamers that might be overly critical due having heard it so many times before. :p

Why do they even allow choir's to "Audition"? No choir is getting through ever anyhow..it just seems like a giant waste of everyone's time. Good choir's are a dime a dozen. This isn't talent, this is taking a bunch of people who can't sing solo, weeding out the really atrocious ones and doing what every church in the country has been doing for decades.

the music for the Civ games have always been pretty top notch. which is good if you play the game to death and listen to it over and over and over.. LOL

Yeah.

The only music I ever didn't care for in Civilization, was the music that played when you met the Chinese leader in the original game from 1991.

Other than that, agree. If o are going to spend thousands of hours in a game, you better hope the music doesn't grow old and annoying.

You are talking about this it seems:

That doesn't sound half as bad as I remember it. Maybe I'm thinking of a different culture, or maybe I'm remembering it from back before I had a sound blaster, and had to deal with the PC bleep bloop speaker.

Love this song and have more than 500 plays on my playlist of this song, but my wife has ruined this song for me and now all I hear is "big booty Juliet" when they sing :(

I don't get it, what part sounds like "big booty Juliet"?

Love this song and have more than 500 plays on my playlist of this song, but my wife has ruined this song for me and now all I hear is "big booty Juliet" when they sing :(

Back