Choices....X-Fi models

jflail2

Gawd
X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series is available in newegg at $116 after MIR:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102005

while the X-Fi XtremeGamer is a measly $70:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102006

I'm upgrading from onboard, so I think either will blow me away. I guess my question is, is the professional series worth the extra 46$? I just play CS and WOW, and mostly on headphones. I am leaning towards the cheaper model, but didn't want to miss out on much better quality/features for the extra $$.

The only big differences I could find are that the professional series has an "AD Link Connector" (no idea what this is for) and the prof series is 192khz versus 96khz.

Any input anyone????

Thanks!

actually the only difference is XRAM (onboard 64mb of ram on the Fatal1ty).

both are the same card with same quality, same outputs, same everything except for the XRAM.

XRAM only is supported by a few games (BF2 for one) and in the mind of many at this time does not make a very big difference. I just went through the decision as well and went with the XtremeMusic as $46 for a bit of XRAM that is not even really used yet was not worth it for me.

EDIT: Sorry, made a mistake, thought you were talking about the Xtrememusic not the xtremegamer. The stuff i said applies to the xtrememusic, not xtremegamer.

jflail2 said:
X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series is available in newegg at $116 after MIR:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102005

while the X-Fi XtremeGamer is a measly $70:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102006

I'm upgrading from onboard, so I think either will blow me away. I guess my question is, is the professional series worth the extra 46$? I just play CS and WOW, and mostly on headphones. I am leaning towards the cheaper model, but didn't want to miss out on much better quality/features for the extra $$.

The only big differences I could find are that the professional series has an "AD Link Connector" (no idea what this is for) and the prof series is 192khz versus 96khz.

Any input anyone????

Thanks!

The AD Link is for this.

The Fatility card can also use this. These use an internal connection.

If you don't think you'll ever need or want either of these, then get the Xtreme Gamer.

Isnt the DAC on the Fatal1ty and XtremeMusic superieor to the DAC on the Gamer? (Better DAC equates to better sound)

My mistake, thought you were comparing the Xtrememusic and fatal1ty.

The stuff i said applies to the Xtrememusic and fatal1ty, NOT the xtremegamer.

Sorry :p

Sounds like the plain old gamer might be my best bet.......Anyone else care to sound off before I pull the trigger?

This had me curious as well:

Isnt the DAC on the Fatal1ty and XtremeMusic superieor to the DAC on the Gamer? (Better DAC equates to better sound)

Gautama said:

All DACs are said to be the same except for the ones on the Elite Pro, the best and Xtreme Audio (sucks) that's not an X-Fi.

Excellent, thanks all. The $70 gamer is on the way. (Good deal btw, couldn't find it for less than ~$95 everywhere else.)

Donnie27 said:
All DACs are said to be the same except for the ones on the Elite Pro, the best and Xtreme Audio (sucks) that's not an X-Fi.
Is the only difference between the music and gamer software then? Why would the music have a full PCB then?

Gautama said:
Is the only difference between the music and gamer software then? Why would the music have a full PCB then?

Yeah I'm curious about this, too. I know the Music has different connectivity but I've never read anything definitive on Gamer vs. Music. $70 for that Gamer is really, really tempting, but I want to be sure I'm not screwing myself over compared to getting the Music.

ElektronikSeraph said:
Yeah I'm curious about this, too. I know the Music has different connectivity but I've never read anything definitive on Gamer vs. Music. $70 for that Gamer is really, really tempting, but I want to be sure I'm not screwing myself over compared to getting the Music.

I just added the I/O Drive to my Xtreme Music, in fact, I haven't gotten it yet. That connectivity is the only difference.

Gautama said:

Shouldn't be any software difference. Because you can still upgrade to a remote control so those drivers are there. This and the Fatality without the I/O Driver were asked for. Creative sent out Surveys. Many say this is how the first Xtreme Music should have shipped. They did good with this but totally SUCKED with that whole Xtreme Audio BS!

Dont forget you can be safe and get the XtremeMusic for 63.99 AR at amazon.com right now.

I just got it and it was cheaper than I could find the xtremegamer anywhere ;)

Grentz said:
Dont forget you can be safe and get the XtremeMusic for 63.99 AR at amazon.com right now.

I just got it and it was cheaper than I could find the xtremegamer anywhere ;)

I got one when it first came out. That's a great deal you got!

What's the difference between the extreme gamer and the extreme music? Just the software bundle, or are there harware differences.

Leright said:
What's the difference between the extreme gamer and the extreme music? Just the software bundle, or are there harware differences.
There needs to be some clarification here.

This is the regular X-Fi card (XtremeMusic).

This is the XtremeAudio X-Fi.

This is the XtremeGamer X-Fi.

The Audio card doesn't do EAX in hardware like the other cards (last time I heard atleast). The Gamer is simply a slightly cut down version of the XtremeMusic card (less memory, less connectors and few other things) but for the most part it's the same card.

Go with the X-Fi XtremeGamer card.

Leright said:

The PCB, controller and wiring for the I/O Drives are the only real differences guys. The DACs and etc........................... are the same.

The POS Audio version shouldn't even be called X-Fi. Shame on Creative for that BS!

CrimandEvil said:
There needs to be some clarification here.

This is the regular X-Fi card (XtremeMusic).

This is the XtremeAudio X-Fi.

This is the XtremeGamer X-Fi.

The Audio card doesn't do EAX in hardware like the other cards (last time I heard atleast). The Gamer is simply a slightly cut down version of the XtremeMusic card (less memory, less connectors and few other things) but for the most part it's the same card.

Go with the X-Fi XtremeGamer card.
The XtremeGamer only has analogue output and that sounds crappy compared to a digital connection. That is unless Creative has managed to make the analogue sound better.

It's not really the card that's the issue, it's the software for it. At this time, many people are having issues with the software and I can't say my luck is good enough to avoid those issues.

Volucris said:
The XtremeGamer only has analogue output and that sounds crappy compared to a digital connection. That is unless Creative has managed to make the analogue sound better.

It's not really the card that's the issue, it's the software for it. At this time, many people are having issues with the software and I can't say my luck is good enough to avoid those issues.

So it is the breakout box or the FlexiJack or what that does the digital output?

'Cause looking at the pictures with the connections labelled at Newegg, the only difference is the presence of an AD_LINK (external) and AD_EXT (internal) connector.

Music diagram versus Gamer outside and Gamer inside

Edit - okay, looking at Creative's site, the FlexiJack is what handles the digital out, but they both have it:Music versus Gamer. It really does look like the only difference is the size of the PCB and the presence of the breakout box connection.

Gamer said:
Flexijack: Line In / Microphone In / Optical Out¹ via shared 3.5mm mini jack
Music said:
FlexiJack: 3-in-1 function (Digital I/O1 / Line In / Microphone) via 3.50mm mini jack

Moofasa~ said:
Both can. Volucris has no idea what he is talking about.
Sorry, I forgot the disclaimer.
rolleyes.gif

The people that actually known things on this forum are next to useless because they rarley post.

Volucris said:
Like it matters, you only get stereo while gaming when using digital out. :rolleyes:

To the OP: Don't listen to Volucris; he has no idea WTF he's talking about.

CrimandEvil said:
Like it matters, you only get stereo while gaming when using digital out. :rolleyes:

To the OP: Don't listen to Volucris; he has no idea WTF he's talking about.

This is one of the reasons that the Fatality FPS is frustrating. I bought one months before finding out that you can't get surround via optical. Actually, I learned that on this forum about a month ago after hooking up my nice Onkyo 7.1 system :D

I thought that 5.1 via optical would be a no-brainer. It's unbelievable that this is not an option on a supposedly high-end card. Luckily i bought the card used and didn't pay the astronomical price it used to be (before all the nice rebates floating around right now).

OP, if you can still get a Fatality FPS for $100 AR that's what i would choose. Otherwise a Gamer card is the right choice.

KENNYB said:
This is one of the reasons that the Fatality FPS is frustrating. I bought one months before finding out that you can't get surround via optical. Actually, I learned that on this forum about a month ago after hooking up my nice Onkyo 7.1 system :D

I thought that 5.1 via optical would be a no-brainer. It's unbelievable that this is not an option on a supposedly high-end card. Luckily i bought the card used and didn't pay the astronomical price it used to be (before all the nice rebates floating around right now).

OP, if you can still get a Fatality FPS for $100 AR that's what i would choose. Otherwise a Gamer card is the right choice.

Why would you want to compress a perfectly fine PROCESSED 5.1 output? But if you feel you must, get the XtremeGamer and a DTS 610. The only thing I found with it is that it is Louder. At the same Volume level the Analog sounded slightly better. At least on my Pioneer:)

Donnie27 said:
Why would you want to compress a perfectly fine PROCESSED 5.1 output? But if you feel you must, get the XtremeGamer and a DTS 610. The only thing I found with it is that it is Louder. At the same Volume level the Analog sounded slightly better. At least on my Pioneer:)
You mean when using DTS 610, the analogue sounded slightly better? The analogue should be slightly better than DTS 610 because the DTS 610 compresses the lower quality analogue source and not compressing the better digital source, the analogue output is already not good so compressing it wouldn't make the sound better, DD/DTS can't make a low quality source sounds better like Creative said they can make a low quality source better than the Studio Quality. The DTS 610 is just a POS. I know DD/DTS compression is lossy but if you have compared the lossy compression to the X-Fi's analogue, I think you would also use the lossy compression like I did. Even on my cheap Z-5400's receiver, the lossy DD compression sounds better than X-Fi's analogue. Btw there is a way to encode an AC3 signal on the X-Fi :eek: .

Donnie27 said:

Why? From the Creative website... "Connect your PC to your home theater receiver with one thin cable for consistent playback every time."

That's how it should have worked out of the box.

alg7_munif said:
You mean when using DTS 610, the analogue sounded slightly better? The analogue should be slightly better than DTS 610 because the DTS 610 compresses the lower quality analogue source and not compressing the better digital source, the analogue output is already not good so compressing it wouldn't make the sound better, DD/DTS can't make a low quality source sounds better like Creative said they can make a low quality source better than the Studio Quality. The DTS 610 is just a POS. I know DD/DTS compression is lossy but if you have compared the lossy compression to the X-Fi's analogue, I think you would also use the lossy compression like I did. Even on my cheap Z-5400's receiver, the lossy DD compression sounds better than X-Fi's analogue. Btw there is a way to encode an AC3 signal on the X-Fi :eek: .

Yes, I meant what I said:) No, it is not a POS IMHO but as you know, Gaming on the X-Fi and Analog out is as good as it gets.

KENNYB said:
Why? From the Creative website... "Connect your PC to your home theater receiver with one thin cable for consistent playback every time."

That's how it should have worked out of the box.

Consistent/Easy doesn't always mean best. You have to know your HTS's setting to switch to the right setting. What they mean is that you just set your receiver to DD and forget it. You don't have to change from Digital In to Analog, Pro-Logic or some kind of simulated surround.

The best output for Games is Analog and Compressing it causes loss of sound quality.

Donnie27 said:
The best output for Games is Analog and Compressing it causes loss of sound quality.
Compression and analogue causes loss of sound quality, if you compress an analogue sound, it will futher degrade the sound quality. With X-Fi out of the box, you can only get a surround sound from games through analogue but with some efforts, actually you can use AC3 compression and send the surround sound through SPDIF output. When using AC3, the D-A conversion is done by your receiver instead of the sound card. Sometimes a lossy compression & D-A conversion done by the receiver can give a better sound than a lossless & D-A conversion done by a sound card, sometimes it could be the other way around.

alg7_munif said:
Compression and analogue causes loss of sound quality, if you compress an analogue sound, it will futher degrade the sound quality. With X-Fi out of the box, you can only get a surround sound from games through analogue but with some efforts, actually you can use AC3 compression and send the surround sound through SPDIF output. When using AC3, the D-A conversion is done by your receiver instead of the sound card. Sometimes a lossy compression & D-A conversion done by the receiver can give a better sound than a lossless & D-A conversion done by a sound card, sometimes it could be the other way around.

Again, STRAIGHT Analog is just fine for Games thank you:) No, you're NOT getting 5.1 from X-Fi SPDIF and the D-A Conversion is FINE! No, that signal will not bypass anything and go straight to the receiver's DAC. Unless that hack is finished. I'm talking about for Games, not CD, DVD or etc.....Other than that, the Sound Card's DAC's and the Receiver's AMPs are fine!

Personally I love my X-Fi Platinum, connected via analogue to a Creative Inspire 5300 amb\sub powering Cambridge Soundworks Four Point Surround with Inspire 5300 centre channel. The live drive is great... no more reaching around behind the PC if I wanna use headphones, etc.

The Gamer should be here tomorrow. Thanks for your input all; learning more by the day ;)

Back