chkdsk deleted corrupted file

chkdsk deleted a corrupted quickbooks file, and that was not good.

this is on sbs2003 sp2
the server said that the quickbooks file was corrupted this morning run chkdsk.
i tried to copy the file to another drive and it wouldn't copy.
we restarted the server it ran check disk automatically but only did 3 steps (what happened to 5?)
and it deleted corrupted files on the 1st one and took out the quickbooks. the backups are all corrupted because something was corrupted on that drive.

so now we are screwed.

i guess i will run a file recovery program on that drive to try to get the corrupted qbw back and see if i can do anything with it.

any other ideas?

why would checkdisk delete the file? i have had good luck with it several times recently even to the extent that drives were unreadable in windows and it restored them completely.

Did it delete all the quickbook files? Did it leave the .QBW file?

If the file is corrupt, you may be able to give it to a 3rd party company for repair.

it left the qbw file there, but its 0kb

all of the other files are there and intact. there is a TLG file, which is a transaction log file that keeps track of all of the changes.. and for some reason, they (intuit) claims they can't restore data into a quickbooks file with that..

so i am thinking even if i can run a program that recovers deleted files, it will just find the file that's already there but was changed to 0kb.

any ideas?

Well, the TLG file will clear itself if you preform a backup inside of Quickbooks (QBB file). Then it will base its transaction log data off of the differences made between the backup file and your last proper write.

I would say that it would be a good idea to probably look into a recovery service that will take the transaction log data and recompile what you have.

Just looking around the web, I was able to find this :

http://www.e-tech.ca/022-Quickbooks.asp

ok.. we have 3 windows backup files .bkf that should have the file on it. but they are all corrupted themselves. when trying to view the D: drive in the backup, it says its can't open it.
it has a ? mark over the folder and it says "the file you specified either doesn't exist or does not contain any backup sets"

i think this is our best shot for recovery though.. i am talking about pulling a corrupted quickbooks qbw off of a corrupted windows bkf.

the question is how?

There are alot of applications to recover data from large BKF files which may have had the catalog corrupted.

Check out http://www.repairmybackup.com/ And download the trial to see if it will see the data on your backups.

just a quick check, did you look for the found.##### directory on the drive?

not sure if sbs2003 does it but in all previous versions of windows (not sure about vista) when chkdsk finds error sometimes it recovers them into the found.####/ directory..

thanks bro..
i was going crazy here..
i just have to wait for these 38 gb BKF files to copy to another drive so i can run that software on one. I am definitely not going to mess with the original.

Of course! The found.xxxx directory contains all the items which may have had errors. I totally forgot about that.

we got it back. I used the repairmybackup.com on a corrupted BAK file and got it.
then of course it filled in a day's worth of missing data using the TLG file.. the file that quickbooks said couldn't be used to recover any data with.

i saved a backup and it said there were errors. so i ran the error checking on the file and it appears to have fixed it.. so we backed up again, and theoretically have a clean backup and a clean file. (and 5 copies of each that i made on various computers)

Thanks

Back