Chivalry 2

I realize that it's alpha gameplay but it doesn't look near as good as Mordhau. And this being an EGS exclusive multiplayer game means that it will be DOA; they'll try to recoup their losses on Steam in 6-12 months but it will be too late unless it's heavily discounted.

I realize that it's alpha gameplay but it doesn't look near as good as Mordhau. And this being an EGS exclusive multiplayer game means that it will be DOA; they'll try to recoup their losses on Steam in 6-12 months but it will be too late unless it's heavily discounted.

EGS has plenty of population for multiplayer games. There are EGS exclusive multiplayer games that are doing great. It even revived multiplayer for some games when they made them free game of the week. Oh, and have you heard of Fortnite?

Chivalry 2 is going to be DOA because it's going to be a terrible game. Torn Banner has only made 2 other games. The first Chivalry which was awesome. Then a few years later they made Mirage: Arcane Warfare which was so terrible people didn't even play it when they gave it away free. Basically everything they did during the development of Mirage showed they had absolutely no idea how to make a good game and Chivalry was either a fluke, or the people that made it good just no longer worked there. It was extremely disappointing because the idea for Mirage was pretty cool, but they really, really fucked it up.
For example: Mirage was supposed to be a competitive FPS, but during the alpha they not only didn't have an option for mouse sensitivity, but not even the ability to change it a settings file or with a console command despite it being built into Unreal Engine. They were supposed to be balancing gameplay at that point, not missing the most basic features that should have been the very first thing developed for a competitive FPS.

The reason Mordhau exists is because it was obvious Torn Banner couldn't make a good sequel, and some people within the Chivalry community took it upon themselves and did an amazing job, much better than TB ever could.

I would love to be proven wrong and Chivalry 2 to be a good game, but so far the videos have shown otherwise and everything I've heard from people playing the alpha has been negative.

EGS has plenty of population for multiplayer games. There are EGS exclusive multiplayer games that are doing great. It even revived multiplayer for some games when they made them free game of the week. Oh, and have you heard of Fortnite?

Chivalry 2 is going to be DOA because it's going to be a terrible game. Torn Banner has only made 2 other games. The first Chivalry which was awesome. Then a few years later they made Mirage: Arcane Warfare which was so terrible people didn't even play it when they gave it away free. Basically everything they did during the development of Mirage showed they had absolutely no idea how to make a good game and Chivalry was either a fluke, or the people that made it good just no longer worked there. It was extremely disappointing because the idea for Mirage was pretty cool, but they really, really fucked it up.
For example: Mirage was supposed to be a competitive FPS, but during the alpha they not only didn't have an option for mouse sensitivity, but not even the ability to change it a settings file or with a console command despite it being built into Unreal Engine. They were supposed to be balancing gameplay at that point, not missing the most basic features that should have been the very first thing developed for a competitive FPS.

The reason Mordhau exists is because it was obvious Torn Banner couldn't make a good sequel, and some people within the Chivalry community took it upon themselves and did an amazing job, much better than TB ever could.

I would love to be proven wrong and Chivalry 2 to be a good game, but so far the videos have shown otherwise and everything I've heard from people playing the alpha has been negative.

I don't count Fortnight as it came out before EGS was even a store. Look at Spellbreak; it was looking pretty cool, opened on EGS, quickly died, came to Steam after everyone had forgotten about it, dead. If they would have opened on Steam it would have received a lot more play but now it's just a 3 year old game that's been buried with the also-rans. I can't even think of any other EGS-exclusive multiplayer games because they're either dead, barely holding on, or the devs were paid off after they already had a following (Rocket League).

Last edited:
now it's just a 3 year old game that's been buried with the also-rans.
You can say that about 99% of MP games ever released, forgotten in the dust. This is not a platform issue, but one of trying to enter a saturated market. There are a few titles in each genre which capture 95% of the audience 95% of the time, and your title needs to be exceptionally good and unique enough in one or more areas to pull a significant number of players long term. ALL multiplayer games regardless of platform get a burst of players during the first week or two of hype before most of them go back to their favorite/established games.

Now it's true a more populated platform will give a higher chance of maintaining a larger playerbase - but even on the biggest platforms like Steam many MP games end up dead in the water. It's a saturated market and you're competing with titles that have been around for more than a decade (or two decades like CS).

You can say that about 99% of MP games ever released, forgotten in the dust. This is not a platform issue, but one of trying to enter a saturated market. There are a few titles in each genre which capture 95% of the audience 95% of the time, and your title needs to be exceptionally good and unique enough in one or more areas to pull a significant number of players long term. ALL multiplayer games regardless of platform get a burst of players during the first week or two of hype before most of them go back to their favorite/established games.

Now it's true a more populated platform will give a higher chance of maintaining a larger playerbase - but even on the biggest platforms like Steam many MP games end up dead in the water. It's a saturated market and you're competing with titles that have been around for more than a decade (or two decades like CS).
While that is true do we really think that the games that failed on Steam would have done better on EGS? The games that already don't have a huge pop on Steam (Hunt Showdown, Mordhau, etc) would be completely dead on EGS with no hope of being revived. Are there any EGS-exclusive MP titles that aren't dead (barring already established games like Fortnight and Rocket League)? Releasing a niche MP game exclusively to EGS just makes it even more niche.

I'd like Chivalry 2 to be a good game but the released gameplay videos and the EGS-exclusivity tells me that not only is it likely going to be bad but it's also going to have a low population for it's short life.

While that is true do we really think that the games that failed on Steam would have done better on EGS? The games that already don't have a huge pop on Steam (Hunt Showdown, Mordhau, etc) would be completely dead on EGS with no hope of being revived. Are there any EGS-exclusive MP titles that aren't dead (barring already established games like Fortnight and Rocket League)? Releasing a niche MP game exclusively to EGS just makes it even more niche.

I'd like Chivalry 2 to be a good game but the released gameplay videos and the EGS-exclusivity tells me that not only is it likely going to be bad but it's also going to have a low population for it's short life.

The fact that Spellbreak didn't get big on Steam only proves the opposite, that releasing first on Steam wouldn't have helped.

I don't think the platform really matters that much, if the game is good people will play it wherever they need to. There are still countless multiplayer only games that use their own launchers and don't release on Steam or wait a year to release on Steam and do fine. Fortnite required people to download EGS, you couldn't play it on Steam, and it's one of the biggest games of all time.

Would it make a difference for Chivalry 2? Maybe it would get a bigger bump in players the very first week, but after people realize how bad of a game it is it's going to be forgotten just like Mirage.

Got this yesterday since it was on sale and I had a coupon. It’s really fun so far in a mindless go smash people kind of way. There is some intricacies in the combat but mostly I just try to bash people in the skull.

Bought this over the Christmas sale on Steam along with a few friends and wow, we are absolutely loving it. I have 60 hours into it in 6.5 weeks. We all played Chiv 1 back in the day but never played Mordhau. The combat system and more importantly the objective based map design and pacing make it so satisfying to play over and over. Highly recommend this game. Here's a short noclip doc on it:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OHo8TRcCAU

I am on the flipside of that lol, but never played the first one or Mordhau that I remember. I started playing it since it was part of gamepass. I can see why people like it, and what it is trying to do. It just isn't satisfying and is more frustrating to me.

I randomly die to weapons that aren't even moving like missed attacks where the weapon is on the ground. Almost like if you even get touched by them you die unless the killcam is completely off the majority of the time. Maybe it is just my connection though. I just find more often than not it will all the sudden show I died and the guy who killed me is standing in front of me but didn't move. I also find it frustrating how more often than not your own teammates step in front of your attacks. In that way it reminds me a bit of Rocket League when you are just about to shoot only your own teammate comes in to knock the ball away from you for no reason.

I am on the flipside of that lol, but never played the first one or Mordhau that I remember. I started playing it since it was part of gamepass. I can see why people like it, and what it is trying to do. It just isn't satisfying and is more frustrating to me.

I randomly die to weapons that aren't even moving like missed attacks where the weapon is on the ground. Almost like if you even get touched by them you die unless the killcam is completely off the majority of the time. Maybe it is just my connection though. I just find more often than not it will all the sudden show I died and the guy who killed me is standing in front of me but didn't move. I also find it frustrating how more often than not your own teammates step in front of your attacks. In that way it reminds me a bit of Rocket League when you are just about to shoot only your own teammate comes in to knock the ball away from you for no reason.
Friendly fire is definitely a part of the game, especially on 64 player team objective servers, but the actual damage you do per hit is very low so don't worry about it (but it is frustrating when they stop you from hitting an enemy). Latency/ping is definitely important in Chiv, I am lucky to get 5-10ms ping to Seattle servers. The few times I've played NA East and had 60-70 ping it is noticeably harder to time hits/blocks/parries.

Friendly fire is definitely a part of the game, especially on 64 player team objective servers, but the actual damage you do per hit is very low so don't worry about it (but it is frustrating when they stop you from hitting an enemy). Latency/ping is definitely important in Chiv, I am lucky to get 5-10ms ping to Seattle servers. The few times I've played NA East and had 60-70 ping it is noticeably harder to time hits/blocks/parries.

I couldn't find anything sub 50 ping and I am in the SE on 1 gig fiber. I don't mind the FF, but yeah it is more people always stepping in and blocking your swings.

Back