Chipsets

uh... why do you ask?

from what i understand, the best reason to go with an nvidia or AMD chipset is if you plan to use sli or crossfire. otherwise intel chipsets are the way to go.

another sense i have is that most people who plan either sli or crossfire already have an opinion of which they'd prefer, so for them there's never a question of what chipset to get.

i'm sure it's much more complicated than this. could you give some context to the question?

which offers better overclocking or which one is is more likely to be stablest

personally, i have only heard not-very-positive things about the 590 chipset, but i would hope the 790 lives up to the great reputation of the 680/780

intel.
my humble opinion anyway.

but again, this is apples and oranges, since the AMD chipset is by and large for AMD processors and the nvidia chipset is for intel processors. personally i'm not a fan of nvidia chipsets; i think the only reason to get them is for sli.

are you comparing these two chipsets based on price ranges? one thing to consider is that AMD chipset motherboards are typically cheaper for the same technology level than intel motherboards, but their processors seem to be a bit more expensive.

are you building a system from scratch? because if you've already got a processor you're planning to put in this board, it's a totally moot question. and if you're trying to design a whole new system from scratch, you should decide what processor has better OC potential before looking at motherboards.

again, just my opinion. more experienced people will probably have much more to add.

edit: another thing to consider is that the motherboard's manufacturer has as much to do with OC poential as the chipset; perhaps even more.

thanks for the advice dystopic i too am also a noob i know that i know less than you. i do intend building an AMD system from scratch but i would go for a 590 board because its been out for longer and has had more time to develop but perhaps i could wait for them to iron out any creases in the 790fx chipsets before getting a board with one

Because im thinking of starting my first build should i swap the Asus M2N32-SLI nforce 590 for a motherboard that has a 790fx??:confused:

If so can you recomend a board that wont blow a total PC build buget of £550

I don't know what the prices are over here (just because they are $85 here doesn't mean that they will be $85 converted to lbs over there), so I can't guage the prices that much, but if you have no Xcire or SLI needs, then you can grab a regular AMD 770 board and that will be just fine for you I would imagine, and it would save some $$$

I'd get an AM2+ board with a Phenom if I were buying AMD right now.

But isnt the Phenom bugged and crashes under certain circumstances??

I'm not sure about it being "bugged." I think it's probably a combination of any number of factors, the most likely being motherboard support.

Back